Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 10:54 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,529,896 times

Advertisements

Seriously overrated:

The Arcade Fire

I don't understand what's so great about this band. I saw them on "The Daily Show" and was very underwhelmed. How is it that a band with 8 members manages to produce such boring, rudimentary song arrangements? For example, in the live performance of "Ready to Start," both drummers were playing the exact same part, all the guitars were playing the same line, etc. What's the point in having 8 members if you're going to make a song arrangement that could just as easily be produced by an average 4-piece band? Hell - Rush has 3 members, and most of their songs have more interesting arrangements, and the band produces just as much or more sound than The Arcade Fire.

The band is definitely competent, and their songs aren't horrible, but I don't think they deserve their ridiculous hype. If I want to hear an alternative rock band with repetitive song structures and large-scale instrumentation, I'd rather listen to Stereolab because their arrangements are usually much more interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 06:45 AM

301 posts, read 827,961 times
Underrated:

Modest Mouse
10 Years
Death Cab for Cutie

Old 09-08-2010, 11:46 AM

I heard this song on the radio today and remembered at how good Collective Soul is and how underrated they are. I've never heard any musicians say much about the band even though Collective Soul has this interesting little thing that seems to be lost among many mainstream bands: songwriting talent.

YouTube - Collective Soul - The World I Know (Video)

Old 09-16-2010, 08:11 AM

123 posts, read 287,094 times
I don't think Modest Mouse and Death Cab are underrated...I mean, they're amazing, but I know of many people that adore the **** out them, and most likely list those two bands as being in their top ten all time favorite bands. I think older modest mouse is underrated, though...half of the ppl that listen to MM haven't even HEARD it's This is a Long Drive for Someone with Nothing to Think About... can you imagine the horror? It's my FAVORITE album by them.

I agree that Collective Soul is underrated, they only have a handful or two of hits, and they get plenty of radio play, but nobody under the age of 25 even listens to them...'cept the ppl I make listen to them when they're riding in my car haha...I have a few friends that are in their teens that have learned some of their songs on guitar, though and play them every chance they get..

I think Keller Williams and Mike Perkins are underrated... Mike Perkins is so underrated that there aren't any youtube videos...Keller Williams is a one man jam band..which tends to only appeal to hippies and the like, but he's really amazing.

Overrated? hmmmm I'll get back to you on that...

Old 09-16-2010, 11:36 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,933,269 times
Badly underrated . . .

Taj Mahal, "Statesboro Blues" (cut two years earlier than the Allman Brothers Band's more familiar version and mops the floor with that version)

Taj Mahal, "The Celebrated Walking Blues" (and you thought Eric Clapton was the only one appreciating and reimagining Robert Johnson circa 1966-67 . . . )

Taj Mahal, "Diving Duck Blues"

Who says the blues needs to be giga-overdriven feedback-flooding thunderbooming sludge?

Old 09-16-2010, 12:32 PM

10,261 posts, read 12,522,330 times
Underrated:

Kashif Saleem (born Michael Jones in 1959)
[SIZE=3]Is an american multi instrumental,singer,songwriter and record producer[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

YouTube - Kashif - Stone Love 1983

YouTube - Kashif - Lover turn me on ( I just got to have you) 1983

underrated:
Frankie Beverly:singer,songwriter,producer,known for his recordings with the soul and the funk band,Maze

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 09-16-2010, 12:47 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,208,750 times
Speaking of Taj Mahal there Whistler, they sued Rod Stewart for plagerism for ripping off their melody "Taj Mahal" and used on the song "Da Ya Think I'm Sexy" and the case was decided in their favor and Stewart agreed to donate all royalties earned to UNICEF.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:38 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,933,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Speaking of Taj Mahal there Whistler, they sued Rod Stewart for plagerism for ripping off their melody "Taj Mahal" and used on the song "Da Ya Think I'm Sexy" and the case was decided in their favor and Stewart agreed to donate all royalties earned to UNICEF.
"They?"

pssst! The Taj Mahal to whom I referenced is one man---it's been his nickname and stage name since he was a teenager. Before he put his first album out, under his own name, he had a band (1965-66) known as Taj Mahal and the Rising Sons, whose membership included Ry Cooder and future Spirit drummer Ed Cassidy. I doubt seriously that the Taj Mahal I named as badly underrated is the Taj Mahal from whom Rod Stewart plagiarised "Da Ya Think I'm Sexy" . . . but the fact that Stewart had to plagiarise such a piece of garbage in the first places tells you volumes about him . . .

As for the Rising Sons, the material they recorded for Columbia before Mahal went under his name alone finally saw the light of day in 1992, and it showed that band---with languid blues and folk influences---was a kind of pilot fish for the similar stylings taken up, though with far less bluesiness, by the like of Buffalo Springfield, Moby Grape, the Grateful Dead, and the country-influenced version of the Byrds a couple of years later.

The Rising Sons with Taj Mahal and Ry Cooder, "Corrina, Corrina"

Old 09-16-2010, 05:21 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,311,719 times
Overrated...... The Sex Pistols, I wouldn't call that noise music! That probably POs a bunch of fans but to a guitarist it is how it is. I can't believe how many people admired them and note them as an influence. Kurt Cobain is one worth mentioning. Hey Kurt, your stuff was 10X better than anything your idols did IMO! Underrated and swept off under the rug..... I would nominate Molly Hatchet. Killer three piece guitar combos and some of the best soloing around. Many people have never even heard of them.

YouTube - Molly Hatchet - Fall Of The Peacemakers Live

Old 09-24-2010, 09:03 AM

Here's another underrated band: Supertramp.

In spite of their excellent musicianship, great songwriting, and mainstream success, I rarely hear people mention this group when they talk about good classic rock bands. Here's "Child of Vision," one of the group's best songs (I don't know what's up with the video footage, but this was the only video I could find on You Tube with the full studio version of this song):

YouTube - Vision
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music