Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2011, 09:51 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,526,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick99 View Post
Overrated: Foo Fighters
Underrated: Soundgarden (I know they are highly touted, but everybody talks Pearl Jam (whom I used to love) and Nirvana (whom I now loathe), when the subject is Seattle)
I don't think Soundgarden is overrated or underrated. They seem to get the credit that they're due without being overhyped. Now you know what Seattle band is really underrated? The Screaming Trees.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 05:31 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,627,786 times
Overrated: Metallica, Pantera, Nirvana, Sex Pistols, Ozzy era Black Sabbath, Radiohead, Rush

Underrated: Old 97s, Dio era Black Sabbath, Social Distortion, Soul Asylum, Cheap Trick, Saxon, Wilco

Old 12-30-2011, 11:37 AM

2 posts, read 3,171 times
Overrated: Coldplay, U2, Lady Gaga, Green Day, Recent Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Pearl Jam.

I would think Sublime too but I can't say because i have never listened to their work as a whole. I think early Red Hot Chilli Peppers from 91 to 2002 is rightfully praised.

Underrated: Nirvana (you still don't hear it on the radio as much compared to some other pretentious crap), Matchbox 20, Gin Blossoms, Porcupine Tree, The Verve (they are a lot better than only Bittersweet Symphony, Listen to Weeping Willow). Similar thing with Oasis you don't hear some of the singles that much Songs like Some Might Say, Morning Glory and Live Forever are seldom heard. Only Champagne Supernova and Wonderwall are played. Basically anything obscure, the side projects of people like steve wilson is never heard on the radio.

Anything you should hear on the radio but don't hear enough is underrated.
Any crap that constantly clogs up the airways is overrated

Old 12-30-2011, 01:07 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,849,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post
Overrated

U2
Radiohead
Kid Cudi
Lady Gaga
Madonna
Beyonce
Jay-Z (most of his work after Reasonable Doubt)
The Beatles
Green Day

Underrated

GZA/Genius
Musiq Soulchild
Bilal

I don't know of any underrated rock artists. Nope.
I can't argue with most of that list (especially Madonna - what a farce she was and is) although with some of those choices it's a matter of taste, ie; it's subjective (for example, i don't care for U2 but appreciate their music and artistry nonetheless) but the Beatles?!!
Surely you jest?!!!
You may not care for them but if you don't recognize the genius of much of their music well then i dunno.
It's hard to take you seriously.
Also, their cultural "contribution" during the 60's (especially later 60's) has to be acknowledged if one has any sense of history and what that time was about and how they were an integral part of it specifically in terms of an expansion and flowering of consciousness and how they played an essential role in the massive countering of the dominant culture and in assisting people of that time to break free (sadly for many, only temporarily) from collectively held assumptions about anything and everything.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:23 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
Well, after listening to "The King of Limbs" several times and being severely disappointed by the album in spite of the rave reviews from practically everyone, I stand by my assertion that Radiohead is one of the most overrated band of all time. I think some of the band's stuff is great ("OK Computer," parts of "In Rainbows," and 1/2 of "Kid A"), but a good portion of their discography is boring experimental work.

How did the band manage to get to the position where everything they churn out is proclaimed as genius?
Because every album they have put out has been genius. King of Limbs is fantastic. Most of their albums I do not appreciate through first listen but after time, they just get better and better.

They have probably had the best album of the last two decades in any genre of music (Ok Computer in the 90s and Kid A in the 2000s).

They are coming to KC in March and I cannot wait to see them. I have a floor seat that cost $71 and I could sell it on ebay right now for over $400. The concert sold out in 37 seconds.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:02 PM

873 posts, read 634,641 times
To me Carrie Underwood is over rated and my most favorite singer James Otto is not played enough.

God bless you and him always!!!

Holly

Old 02-04-2018, 12:36 PM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times
Overrated: Bon Jovi, Korn, Maroon 5, Metallica, Led Zepplin, Jimi Hendrix, Aerosmith

Underrated: Modest Mouse, Death Cab for Cutie, Rise Against, Alkaline Trio, The Shins

Old 02-04-2018, 02:12 PM

2,497 posts, read 3,403,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
Here's another underrated band: Supertramp.

In spite of their excellent musicianship, great songwriting, and mainstream success, I rarely hear people mention this group when they talk about good classic rock bands. Here's "Child of Vision," one of the group's best songs (I don't know what's up with the video footage, but this was the only video I could find on You Tube with the full studio version of this song):

YouTube - Vision
Supertramp is one of my very favorites. Thank you for mentioning them!

Also really like ELO, Crowded House/Neil Finn, and a group called Frente! (! is part of the name). Marvin the Album by Frente! is some incredibly original and listenable music and lyrics. The lead singer, Angie Hart, has an exceptionally clear, lovely, and versatile voice, and they can really play their instruments.

Why is it that most of the "popular" singers today sound nasal-y? Their songs are not very interesting (usually sound the same, uninspiring music, insipid lyrics).

Old 02-04-2018, 03:39 PM

873 posts, read 634,641 times
I am adding two more names to my under rated list.

Steve Sanders of the Oak Ridge Boys
Billy Joe Royal

God bless you and their families always!!!

Holly

P.S. And may them two late beautiful precious gentlemen be with the Lord, I love them both so very much!!!

Old 02-04-2018, 04:22 PM

420 posts, read 451,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Underrated: Genesis
Renaissance
Uriah Heep
Todd Rundgren

Overrated: Lady Gaga
I soooo agree about Todd! He has done it all including producing for other artists. Something/Anything is one of the best albums ever. I saw him several times and he never disappoints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music