Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 09:44 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times

Advertisements

50% of people that moved to FL from another state return to their home state within 5 years. This statistic has been going on for over 20 years and it's for the entire state, not just Naples.

Top reasons for leaving are: missing family that stayed in original state, death of spouse in FL and return home because alone in FL, FL salaries/job opportunities not as good as other states, miss cooler weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 09:55 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I've lived here (Lee County) on and off for 50 years: we started out in Fort Myers, then Cape Coral, then back to Fort Myers in between my moves back to my home state of NY and then a transfer to NC for 9 years. Much prefer Fort Myers over Cape Coral and Naples seems very beautiful but from the parts I have been to it seems mostly for the wealthy. Actually I think it is on some "top 10" list for having the most millionaires or something like that. Lots of stories on the news about the middle class not being able to find affordable places to live.

Florida isn't for everybody - be it the long months of heat and humidity, the throngs of snowbirds that flock down for 6 months every year and the transient nature of the place. People come down for a vacation in the middle of winter up north and think "how nice it would be to live here". Well sometimes it works out but many times it doesn't.

There's no shame in saying goodbye to Florida. It really is an acquired taste. The funny thing is I've only begun to appreciate Florida in the last year or so despite living here for so many years.

OP - are you moving back to where you came from?
Very nice non snarky reply. Kudos to you.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:52 AM

113 posts, read 286,584 times
njkate-

Yes we are moving back to where we came from. We came because my husband was offered what we thought was a good job and figured we may only have one opportunity to give this type of move a try.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbapasto View Post
njkate-

Yes we are moving back to where we came from. We came because my husband was offered what we thought was a good job and figured we may only have one opportunity to give this type of move a try.
Hey you tried, didn't work and you're leaving. At least now you know and wouldn't be forever wondering.
Florida is not for everyone, myself included. My husband loves it though.

We have been here 1 year and late October will be my fourth trip home in 14 months..lol.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:14 AM

50 posts, read 111,514 times
I think the previous posters have said it well, it really depends on what you are looking for, the duration, and the connections back "home". Its an individual thing in a new location, not specific Naples/Florida thing.

We have friends that fall into all categories, some that will never leave, some that can't wait to get back "home", some that are retired, some that are working full time.

I can't draw a common thread across this group for returning, other than the desire to be close to family.

I'm certain each of us has our own individual experiences that color our response.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:55 AM

113 posts, read 286,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Hey you tried, didn't work and you're leaving. At least now you know and wouldn't be forever wondering.
Florida is not for everyone, myself included. My husband loves it though.

We have been here 1 year and late October will be my fourth trip home in 14 months..lol.
njkate-

I agree. Im glad we tried but Im also VERY glad we have the ability to go home. I REALLY wanted to make a run of it but after 4 years, I do feel I gave it a good try. And by the way, my husband too would have stayed because he liked it much better than me. He felt all the same problems I did in the community, but I think maybe men are different. They can live with things that women cant. I do think women need a sense of home more than men. Just my opinion. I also think the stats mentioned by someone previously about 50% of the people going home in less than 5 years is probably accurate. I hope you adjust if you think that is what you would like but you may be in trouble with all those visits home LOL.

Old 09-09-2016, 05:19 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I am 67 and my wife is 56 and we are in reasonably good health and we have access to decent healthcare up here. Naples is too seasonal for high quality healthcare. Cleveland Clinic opened a branch in 2005 and closed it in 2010. You have to be able to attract top MD's and Naples doesn't offer that much in comparison to Tampa, Miami or Orlando or other larger cities with lots to do. As I have maintained, Naples is fine if you are a snowbird and have access to healthcare up North or are a young family who may not need it for awhile. If you are older and need care be prepared to drive 90 minutes to Ft Lauderdale. My brother is a physician in Naples and has seen this all first hand.
Does your brother offer any specific anecdotes, incidents, or statistics supporting his statements about the lousiness of healthcare in Naples? Other than inaccessibility during the season when snowbirds flood all the available healthcare facilities amd providers.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Does your brother offer any specific anecdotes, incidents, or statistics supporting his statements about the lousiness of healthcare in Naples? Other than inaccessibility during the season when snowbirds flood all the available healthcare facilities amd providers.
Hmm,my daughter in law's parents spend about 8 months a year on Marco Island, anything beyond the common cold they are on a plane to NYC to their doctors up there. Not sure if they are not pleased or just have not really looked.

I live in the cape and 5 months after moving here my husband was diagnosed with cancer. Sent him to Florida cancer center here in the cape and after 2 visits, I said we are either going back north and you are going to Sloan or we are scheduling at Moffitt. Might just have been that office as they are all over and linked with 21st Century Oncology but they were awful. They are nothing but a cancer business.

I now travel to either Moffitt in Tampa or VA in St Pete.

Old 09-11-2016, 06:39 AM

603 posts, read 573,808 times
Part of the problem with health care in Florida is that word is getting out in the medical community that the state isn't a particularly good place for doctors to work. As a result, those that go to Florida are often those who have to be there for one reason or another (family, spouse's job) than those who want to be there. There are other states like this: (Illinois, Washington). All share a common theme: dollars that rightfully should go to patient care either directly (drugs, procedures) or indirectly (hiring more or more qualified staff) are diverted into the pockets of those outside the medical field.

Old 09-11-2016, 06:45 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,877,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingrightalong... View Post
Part of the problem with health care in Florida is that word is getting out in the medical community that the state isn't a particularly good place for doctors to work. As a result, those that go to Florida are often those who have to be there for one reason or another (family, spouse's job) than those who want to be there. There are other states like this: (Illinois, Washington). All share a common theme: dollars that rightfully should go to patient care either directly (drugs, procedures) or indirectly (hiring more or more qualified staff) are diverted into the pockets of those outside the medical field.
More of the better posts I ever seen on City Data. Kudos to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples