Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 09:36 AM

2,865 posts, read 9,367,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayMove View Post
Hi Diane,

Community looks lovley. Not knowing anyone in the area...I am certain we would be able to meet others. Only drawback, homes are on top of each other. It's still worth a look.
Thanks again.
Don't worry about meeting people, just join Nashville New Neighbors. Most get togethers are in the Franklin/Brentwood Area. We have members from all over the city.
Home - New Neighbors.
We even get long time residents that like our activities. They join during Ammesty month.

Diane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 10:45 AM

455 posts, read 1,140,378 times
Hi MayMove,

Sorry for not responding sooner to your query.

My wife and I are actually renting for a year while we figure out where exactly we'd like to buy.

We are renting in the Bellevue area, southwest of downtown, on Highway 70 South.

It's a beautiful and convenient area to rent, near to the Warner Parks, but I'm not sure I'd suggest buying out here. Seems more for renters, people new to the city, empty nesters, new grads, etc.

If your spouse is working in Brentwood and you still want to have fast access to Nashville's hospitals, I'd suggest living in Brentwood or Franklin, very close to 65.

Depending on the time of day, your husband will have a super-easy commute and you'll only be 18-20 minutes from the hospitals on I-65.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:35 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,052 times
Quote:
Hi Diane,

Community looks lovley. Not knowing anyone in the area...I am certain we would be able to meet others. Only drawback, homes are on top of each other. It's still worth a look.
Thanks again.
there are sections that are pretty crammed in and then there are sections that aren't. Grassmere/Fleetwood are pretty big lots, same with parts of Championship/Wild Elm. Basically you want an estate lot and a house with a driveway instead of an alley.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:25 PM

65 posts, read 235,210 times
Thank you everyone! You have been most helpful.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:33 PM

22 posts, read 42,335 times
Maybe Jackson Lake off Mallory Station if you are fortunate enough to find something on the small community lake (tight lots though too)… Willowick is an excellent neighborhood hidden above Franklin Road (great setting)… Chenoweth has a ton of mature trees (some floor plans a little dated compared to today’s)…

Last edited by kevin in Cool Springs; 01-08-2010 at 08:33 PM.. Reason: word code

Old 01-09-2010, 12:06 PM

210 posts, read 587,970 times
Here is my take as a resident of Brentwood for a majority of my life...

Best bet for public school is Brentwood high for sure. Which is sad, espically because Ravenwood (despite its problems) has some amazing programs that are not offered at the other schools in the area..these are currently being overshadowed by thr whole zoning issue. But then agan, it was bound to happen...the areas zoned for RHS are some of the only places left within the Brentwood city limits that are not developed and that is where a majority of the building within brentwood is taking place. And this is just a personal opinion, i don't think that if i had a choice i would send my kids to Franklin High. But like i said, that is just personal opinion. let us know if you need anything else!

99% of the areas in brentwood are quiet...and nice...and peaceful...yum. The only exceptions are the areas that are is super close proximity to cool springs mall or maryland farms.

I will say that Westhaven is amazing and very worth a look. you are correct, the yards (if any) are super small, but there is a ton of green space! I have friends with small children that live over there and would not move for anything. They are more then happy to give up the yard for all the other amazing things that neighborhood has to offer. The clubhouse, the green ways, the amazing pool, the community events...heck i go to that neighborhood just to hang out!

There are foreclosures everywhere sadly, but this area is by no means over run with them.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:52 AM

Thanks Jenn,

I like the idea of both locations. One of the reasons we would lean towards Franklin.... we own a horse. I don't want to keep it on my property. As I understand...there are a number of "show barns" in the Franklin/Leipers area.

Would you mind giving me some honest cons about Franklin High? Or the other 2-3 high schools zoned in Franklin. Limiting ourselves to Franklin HS specifically, narrows the number of homes that are available. The scores at Franklin look ok. They have a AP/IB courses. Where I see Brentwood has the AP. Is there a private high school in Franklin? If so, waiting lists?

What would stop us from purchasing in Brentwood? Current HS zoing issues. Incomming Freshman. Really don't have the time to be wrapped up in all the politics.

Last but not least, we will be empty nesters in the space of 4 years. Having all the family activities are not all that important. Nor would a neighborhood with a surplus of small children. Not ready for the over 55. Just a nice mix of folks would be great. Is this the impression Westhaven gives you? Another choice was the gated area of Fieldstone. I don't think we could part with a large yard. We have dogs that love to run!

Sorry about all of the questions. I truly appreciate the opinions and assistance!

Old 01-10-2010, 12:13 PM

1,177 posts, read 4,156,907 times
Quote:
Thanks Jenn,

I like the idea of both locations. One of the reasons we would lean towards Franklin.... we own a horse. I don't want to keep it on my property. As I understand...there are a number of "show barns" in the Franklin/Leipers area.

Would you mind giving me some honest cons about Franklin High? Or the other 2-3 high schools zoned in Franklin. Limiting ourselves to Franklin HS specifically, narrows the number of homes that are available. The scores at Franklin look ok. They have a AP/IB courses. Where I see Brentwood has the AP. Is there a private high school in Franklin? If so, waiting lists?

What would stop us from purchasing in Brentwood? Current HS zoing issues. Incomming Freshman. Really don't have the time to be wrapped up in all the politics.

Last but not least, we will be empty nesters in the space of 4 years. Having all the family activities are not all that important. Nor would a neighborhood with a surplus of small children. Not ready for the over 55. Just a nice mix of folks would be great. Is this the impression Westhaven gives you? Another choice was the gated area of Fieldstone. I don't think we could part with a large yard. We have dogs that love to run!

Sorry about all of the questions. I truly appreciate the opinions and assistance!
MayMove, you don't have to rule out Brentwood because of your horse. The Cal Turner property on Franklin Rd(about one mile from Brentwood HS) boards horses.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:27 PM

Thank you GBone. Came across this very interesting article about the farm.Turner shares thoughts on Green Pastures on Brentwood Home Page. Sale and future development. I don't know if they just stable, or have trainers? We show on the AA circuit and require a facility that can handle our needs. Most of the local shows are held at a facility out in Franklin. Looks like the Turners have home in Fieldstone Farm/s.

Old 01-10-2010, 03:16 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,052 times
Quote:
Thanks Jenn,

Westhaven actually has a huge empty-nest/retiree population. It is a pretty big subdivision so there is basically something for everyone. There is an over 40s club for women, the good-time gang for the 50+ crowd, playgroups, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville