Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2012, 06:23 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times

Advertisements

On yesterday's walk it was in the 70s with a light breeze. The air felt great, almost like being in water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 09:24 AM

44,359 posts, read 20,066,476 times
Last week, a pair of robins built a nest in a small tree just outside the front door to our
office building. Here's a photo of the nest. I'm hoping to get some good photo ops as the
couple produces eggs and raises its chicks (crossing my figners)!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:35 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times
It was interesting to view the little bees rolling around in the cactus flowers in the front yard this morning. I think this is about the third day of having the flowers in bloom.

Last edited by AksarbeN; 08-28-2013 at 10:14 PM..

Old 04-24-2012, 05:44 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
There are lots of butterflies around. They gather on the cars and fly around them when driving in or out.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:12 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,251,590 times
Your robins built a lovely nest in a perfect choice of branches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
Last week, a pair of robins built a nest in a small tree just outside the front door to our
office building. Here's a photo of the nest. I'm hoping to get some good photo ops as the
couple produces eggs and raises its chicks (crossing my figners)!

Pretty!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
It was interesting to view the little bees rolling around in the cactus flowers in the front yard this morning. I think this is about the third day of having the flowers in bloom.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:31 AM

This taken on my patio in Texas. It was the first time I had ever seen such an incredible web. Two argiopes made their fascinating displays but were not around for long.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:04 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,123,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Kitty View Post
This taken on my patio in Texas. It was the first time I had ever seen such an incredible web. Two argiopes made their fascinating displays but were not around for long.
You may know the following, but in case others do not:

.....this particular specie (Argiope Aurantia) is a benefical fella to have around your garden & home.

The venom is very toxic to various other insects you will find around your place in Texas.....however it is not toxic to humans and will usually only be no more bothersome than a horse-fly bite. They normally will not bite a human UNLESS it is accidently bumped into and/or handled in a rough manner.

Years ago when I spent a fair amount of time in Texas in the winter, we'd catch them near a local lake (near Mathis) and use them for bait for bass fishing on occasion..........worked out very well.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:28 PM

It was hard to miss those stunning webs with a busy spider. So first thing I did was go back to the PC and search and everything I found was positive. They were so high up on the plants I wasn't concerned about the cats (cat-safe patio) making a reach for them so left them alone. It wasn't long before they were gone and even the webs disappeared as if they had packed up and left!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
You may know the following, but in case others do not:

.....this particular specie (Argiope Aurantia) is a benefical fella to have around your garden & home.

The venom is very toxic to various other insects you will find around your place in Texas.....however it is not toxic to humans and will usually only be no more bothersome than a horse-fly bite. They normally will not bite a human UNLESS it is accidently bumped into and/or handled in a rough manner.

Years ago when I spent a fair amount of time in Texas in the winter, we'd catch them near a local lake (near Mathis) and use them for bait for bass fishing on occasion..........worked out very well.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:12 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times

Pink and red mountain laurel. Will be sad to leave the garden when we move.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:39 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times
When I moved, I tried to take some shrubs that my Dad had planted with me and I packed and replanted them so carefully and NONE of them survived. I was so disppointed. I just wanted that part of him with me.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature