Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2014, 09:10 PM

515 posts, read 778,106 times

Advertisements

I snapped a pic of this mourning dove in my neighbor's peach tree today. I didn't realize they nested this late in the Summer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 11:43 PM

30,512 posts, read 16,209,926 times
what a great shot!

Old 07-20-2014, 01:19 AM

552 posts, read 1,055,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Very familiar with the Sea Drift, Port Lavaca, Carancahua Bay area. Saw my first wild Roseate Spoonbill near Matagorda bay. I was very tempted to buy an undeveloped 25 acre tract through the Texas Veteran's Land board. I am a Texas service connected disabled vet. (Took my discharge home as San Antone)

Sort of kicking myself for not doing so. Would have had it paid off long ago and enough saved to build my dream house.

Fantastic wildlife area especially for shore birds. I just remembered there was an old ship hull visible from Port Lavaca not far from the Baur Light house/ Fishing pier, do you know anything about it? I never could find the history of it.

Loved the Wildlife in Texas. Excellent place for viewing Nature.
> I just remembered there was an old ship hull visible from Port Lavaca not far from the Baur Light house/ Fishing pier, do you know anything about it? <

Yes Sir! but you really had me going for a few minutes.

That's Lavaca Bay, Carancahua Bay is further north on TX-35 on the Point Comfort, east side, near the Alcoa Plant. I knew it by Halfmoon Reef Lighthouse, not the Bauer.

Halfmoon Reef Lighthouse, Texas at Lighthousefriends.com

Those rusted hulls were old scull barges blown by a hurricane on the Shoals of Mud. The Shoals of Mud are on the NE end of the Lavaca Bay Causeway, you'll see it on the map. Btw, I reconfigured the map to show the correct latitude and longitude coordinates :

Latitude:28.600662°
Longitude:-96.626582°
Name: Port Lavaca, TX
Postal Code: 77979 ( if you search by GPS you'll need that info.)

I'm reminded of a day fishing with friends (knocking off Spec's) and explaining the Shoal of Mud!!

"Well fellows, it goes back to Plato and his Dialogues: http://atlantis-today.com/Atlantis_Mud.htm"

It was one of those kind of fishing trips. . .we laughed so much our faces hurt!

Those old hulks are gone now, you know of course, rust never sleeps . . .well, very long at any rate.
Sadly, that entire bay system is polluted with heavy metals. Texas Department of Health and TP&W
closed it to shellfish, including shrimp, from pollution. The entire shrimp fleet moved north to Palacios,
TX.

Love those Roseate Spoonbills. There was a tiny island about 300 yards off my shoreline where I built an elevated roost with driftwood in hopes they would nest but the brown pelicans liked it better.

This may interest you: NOVA Online | Voyage of Doom

When I was a kid the coast and bays were still pristine and unspoiled. Our family were outdoorsmen when time permitted. Long fishing/camping trips on the beaches and stories of Zane Grey around the campfire.
Unfortunately, that place in time and nature no longer exist. The bay systems are close to dead due to ag.
run-off, too many straws sucking off the rivers, over fishing and big oil. After the family business sold, some died, others left for distant parts, disgusted with had once been a nice small town.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:18 AM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,379,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomersBoy View Post
I snapped a pic of this mourning dove in my neighbor's peach tree today. I didn't realize they nested this late in the Summer.
Really captured the reflective eye and the blue eye shadow? Srsly, nice shot.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:33 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,225,167 times
Nature is back in a big time way in my parts. I see turkey, foxes and deer almost daily in a very suburban area. Just this past week i had an incident at work where a fox that was clearly not healthy was lying down by the entrance to a day care on a property that we own. It was sick or wounded and maybe rabid and didn't have a choice as it was to close to mothers/fathers/children entering the day care..We called in the police and they put it down. It was the humane thing to do..
I didn't enjoy it but sometimes yeah gotta make the call for the better.
WE where responsible for disposing of the animal, and used bleach on blood where it was put down in case it was rabid so no other animals would be infected. Triple bagged and buried it then placed a large stone over the area..

Old 07-20-2014, 11:22 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,072,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Never Sleeps View Post
> I just remembered there was an old ship hull visible from Port Lavaca not far from the Baur Light house/ Fishing pier, do you know anything about it? <

Yes Sir! but you really had me going for a few minutes.

That's Lavaca Bay, Carancahua Bay is further north on TX-35 on the Point Comfort, east side, near the Alcoa Plant. I knew it by Halfmoon Reef Lighthouse, not the Bauer.

Halfmoon Reef Lighthouse, Texas at Lighthousefriends.com

Those rusted hulls were old scull barges blown by a hurricane on the Shoals of Mud. The Shoals of Mud are on the NE end of the Lavaca Bay Causeway, you'll see it on the map. Btw, I reconfigured the map to show the correct latitude and longitude coordinates :

Latitude:28.600662°
Longitude:-96.626582°
Name: Port Lavaca, TX
Postal Code: 77979 ( if you search by GPS you'll need that info.)

I'm reminded of a day fishing with friends (knocking off Spec's) and explaining the Shoal of Mud!!

"Well fellows, it goes back to Plato and his Dialogues: http://atlantis-today.com/Atlantis_Mud.htm"

It was one of those kind of fishing trips. . .we laughed so much our faces hurt!

Those old hulks are gone now, you know of course, rust never sleeps . . .well, very long at any rate.
Sadly, that entire bay system is polluted with heavy metals. Texas Department of Health and TP&W
closed it to shellfish, including shrimp, from pollution. The entire shrimp fleet moved north to Palacios,
TX.

Love those Roseate Spoonbills. There was a tiny island about 300 yards off my shoreline where I built an elevated roost with driftwood in hopes they would nest but the brown pelicans liked it better.

This may interest you: NOVA Online | Voyage of Doom

When I was a kid the coast and bays were still pristine and unspoiled. Our family were outdoorsmen when time permitted. Long fishing/camping trips on the beaches and stories of Zane Grey around the campfire.
Unfortunately, that place in time and nature no longer exist. The bay systems are close to dead due to ag.
run-off, too many straws sucking off the rivers, over fishing and big oil. After the family business sold, some died, others left for distant parts, disgusted with had once been a nice small town.
Thanks for the Link.

Memories fade. It was from 1990-1995 I was running around the Port Lavaca area. The ALCOA plant was there and I remember the signs as you got close to it. They read something like: " Contaminated waters, Oystering prohibited. Sport Fishing Allowed, eating taken fish not advised due to high mercury levels"

I guess I was there when the death bell just started ringing.

That was such an incredibly beautiful Shore line. The number of oysters within reach was unbelievable, but not edible because of contamination.

If I recall very close to shore was a spot where some company used to dump dead batteries.

It is sad to see what we humans have done to the oceans and our shorelines, just within my lifetime. I few years ago I went back up to CT for a few weeks to walk around my old stomping grounds. The trout streams I used to drink water out of now look like cesspools. The beautiful maple forests are now housing developments I better stop thinking before I start crying.

The things we have done to our Natural Resources

Old 07-20-2014, 12:05 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,225,167 times
I think the days of poising our waters from major corporations are over, it's now about the cleanup which i have scene and is
doable..
There are too many watch groups and non profits that look at this type of stuff and the big players have taken the hit and would rather play by the rules..a good thing, though the damage is done it's not reverse able..

I live very close to a place that a factory contaminated the local drinking water and the result was cancer for many people..A movie was made about these events...

It's the small players to watch now..

Old 07-20-2014, 12:10 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,072,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomersBoy View Post
Just love that picture. A poster child for what Nature should look like.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brienzi View Post
I think the days of poising our waters from major corporations are over, it's now about the cleanup which i have scene and is
doable..
There are too many watch groups and non profits that look at this type of stuff and the big players have taken the hit and would rather play by the rules..a good thing, though the damage is done it's not reverse able..

I live very close to a place that a factory contaminated the local drinking water and the result was cancer for many people..A movie was made about these events...

It's the small players to watch now..

Like BP, Deepwater Horizon? Last week: Researchers say Gulf of Mexico oil spill must have caused lesions in fish - The Washington Post

Chesapeake Bay shellfish problems.

I saw this years ago in Mumbai.

The Wire Nest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeVmtt32_W8

Good luck with the future.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Thanks for the Link.

Memories fade. It was from 1990-1995 I was running around the Port Lavaca area. The ALCOA plant was there and I remember the signs as you got close to it. They read something like: " Contaminated waters, Oystering prohibited. Sport Fishing Allowed, eating taken fish not advised due to high mercury levels"

I guess I was there when the death bell just started ringing.

That was such an incredibly beautiful Shore line. The number of oysters within reach was unbelievable, but not edible because of contamination.

If I recall very close to shore was a spot where some company used to dump dead batteries.

It is sad to see what we humans have done to the oceans and our shorelines, just within my lifetime. I few years ago I went back up to CT for a few weeks to walk around my old stomping grounds. The trout streams I used to drink water out of now look like cesspools. The beautiful maple forests are now housing developments I better stop thinking before I start crying.

The things we have done to our Natural Resources
Spent two weeks in N.D. with a Lakota folksinger I met at the state fair. Camped at the Devils Lake, great walleye, pike and perch. She was mixed Lakota - French Canadian. Made great wild rice, learned the Indian recipe and thin cornbread, just cornmeal, buttermilk and oil. I know The Red River Valley is not in Texas, contrary to what yahoo's think. The Badlands are spectacular - but no country for an old man!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature