Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2017, 03:44 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times

Advertisements

Our pasture has been deafening with the sounds of singing of frogs. The warm temps had them out in January.

I can remember sitting outside at dusk and hearing the sound of locusts die out and the crickets would pick up the beat and take over. I always thought that was a super cool thing to hear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 03:53 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post
Thank you. Regarding the vomit, I wouldn't want to imagine the smell of it. I understand that the crevices that they nest in tend to smell hellish between the smell of carrion breath and them squirting excrement on their legs once in a while.

Bald eagles though, wow what a cool experience that you had working with them!
Yes, we trapped and banded the young fledglings. We measured their wing span too. I learned the juvenile eagle's wings were broader than the adults which is thought to be due to the juveniles not being very good at flying when they first come out of the nest. They needed to be able to soar easier. BTW, I remember one juvenile's wing span was 39 inches from middle of the breast to tip of the wing.

We also had a contract to count bald eagles on a military base in KS. On the last day, the biologists could not go out to count, so they let me go by myself. We had specific places we went to and counted. But on this day I asked myself if I were an eagle where would I go?

The answer is simple. Far from human activity and where the fish are jumping. So I went and found a place that was very isolated and I hiked in to the river. On that last day I counted more than we had ever counted in one day. The biologist almost cried when I told him I found the perfect place. He was mad at himself and the other biologists because they missed a spot.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:27 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,259,315 times
Still haven't heard any peepers, and winter has returned with a vengeance. Supposed to be 15 degrees and windy tonight. Ugh.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:04 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,101,863 times
A couple weeks ago I was driving and a huge vulture kept swooping down and going back up to the sky. I had to roll my windows up. I was scared it was going to fly into the car. It was humungous.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:23 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
The robins are finally back and are splashing in my little waterfall. They really love to get under the lowest level and squat down there and wallow in the flow - it's cute to watch. They're the only birds that do that.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:07 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
White trout lilies, toothwort, harbinger of spring, and a few very early woodland phlox were in bloom a few days ago near the Kentucky River. Salamanders were active in smaller tributaries and along the rocky banks. The sky was blue and breezes were balmy.

But - three to five inches of SNOW is forecast for Saturday! Just can't trust March...

Old 03-07-2017, 11:24 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,625,886 times
I haven't been on in a while, but two Saturdays ago (when it was so warm) I heard spring peepers, and saw wood frogs, painted turtles, and a single green frog. The wood frogs were calling and in a vernal pool. That night we went out to a dark mountain road with flashlights and saw blue spotted salamanders (endangered in NJ) crossing the road. I waited to post this because I thought that I'd be getting in on more reptile and amphibian action but the past week and a half have been dismal because of temps.

This past Saturday, I went down the shore with the binocs and got a lifer bird, the long-tailed duck. They are beautiful birds and I really enjoyed seeing them.

Old 03-10-2017, 12:23 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
two wild turkeys, a fox with a bad case of mange, a handful of mosquitos and a 'mourning cloak' butterfly.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:40 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,523,474 times
Nature is so funny... I planted many new trees last year.. young and looking like Charley Brown trees.. poor Mother Robin and Father Robin trying to build a nest is such a small tree and the wind is blowing and only a couple twiggy branches.. but after a hour the pair of Robins got 2-3 twigs stuck in this little spindly tree..

Old 03-17-2017, 12:10 PM

3,507 posts, read 765,449 times
i may have seen an eagle this morning .. i know they are in extreme north bama and have been here for several years .. a neighbor snapped a picture of an adult one not a mile away from my home on the flint river .. at another part of the area there is a place called " the ranch " .. it`s many thousands of acres of land along the flint river that is about as hard to get to as area 51 ..rumors of eagles living there have been around for 25 years .. but anyway this morning i was in that area and saw a huge bird sitting on a dead deer .. definitely not a buzzard or turkey vulture as they are black ..not a hawk as it was too small .. but it was mostly hawk colored .. a google search of young birds shows some being light brown ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature