Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2023, 06:03 PM

5,536 posts, read 7,113,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post

Leave this fledgling robin alone.......

. ....As for being "spooky" what's spooky about a robin?

The experience was spooky, but I love robins, I'm going to find a huge earthworm and hold the end between my lips and drop it right into it's mouf. Next time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2023, 07:01 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,534,723 times
Just noticed how the leaves have returned on the trees making the trails appear broader and more shaded.

Old 04-19-2023, 05:25 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
After months of rain we finally have mostly sun and a BUNCH of baby birds. Mom and Dad are very busy right now.

Old 04-20-2023, 06:18 AM

9,457 posts, read 5,225,471 times
First time EVER we had an OTTER!!!!! in our pond yesterday morning. He was a big fella, alone, sitting on the far edge of the pond and sometimes half in an out of the water. I have no idea where he came from or where he has gone but I hope he comes back. I have a not very good picture I'll try to post.
After he left, our dog ran over to the spot where the otter was sitting and rolled around in it!

Old 04-20-2023, 08:03 AM

5,452 posts, read 4,056,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snackmaster View Post
I was taking my hummingbird feeder down to clean it and change the nectar when one of the resident hummers buzzed by. I thought he might want a sip before I took the feeder inside, so I held it out in front of me as steady as I could hold it. He hovered around for a few seconds while he checked out the situation. Finally, he decided it was safe and he landed on the feeder and started feeding.

Sometimes when I'm out in my yard next to one of the salvias, a hummer will get so close to me that I can feel the wind from its wings on my arm/leg!
This happened to me once, what a thrill!

I have a suet feeder hanging from the gutter in front of my sliders to the deck. A little Carolina Wren hops from the deck onto the screen door next to it, and creeps up the screen and then hops to the feeder! Last night there were two birds on the feeder, opposite sides. I am running just raw suet, to discourage the &*%$ squirrels.

Old 04-20-2023, 10:42 AM

2,715 posts, read 2,217,945 times
This morning there were five bright yellow male Finches along with one female at the bird feeders.

Old 04-21-2023, 07:36 AM

5,536 posts, read 7,113,245 times
I've had a Cardinal banging against my glass storm door all last summer.

(How he got all the way here from the Vatican is a mystery )

More seriously, she has a nest in the hedge nearby and sees her reflection?
I have videos of it [and the hungry Robin], - wish I knew how to upload them.

Old 04-21-2023, 01:23 PM

16,091 posts, read 10,757,764 times
We have bobcats but they are very shy and seldom seen. I saw one yesterday galloping across the road in front of me. He was about 40 feet ahead of me, didn't pause to check traffic, and went straight on. This guy was very shaggy and larger than I expected. Others that I have seen are a bit smaller and are wary around roads. Sometimes they will stop and watch you go by.

I've seen coyotes do that and one ran into the side of my car once. It stunned him but he recovered and went on.

Old 04-21-2023, 02:05 PM

11,080 posts, read 6,893,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
First, I saw a dead hummingbird at the bottom of the red berry shrub this morning. Second, the red berry shrub (Heavenly Bamboo Nandina) took a beating this winter and I finally discovered why. I was looking out the window and saw a squirrel trying to eat the new leaf growth that has been a long time coming. The photos from last year and 2 years ago show the bush looking fantastic. Right now It's almost bare.

If anyone has any ideas about how to stop the squirrels from eating the leaves, please let me know. It's not like I don't feed them. They get tons of black oil sunflower seeds every day and they also make it up to the suet feeder (which I have to correct). I don't understand why suddenly there is a squirrel eating the shrub leaves. It's not a juvenile (i.e., new this year).
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My feeling is that we humans do the best we know how, and let nature take its course.
It appears that it was a one-off deal with that squirrel. The shrub is leafing out very nicely and I think it's going to recover. I do agree that there are times - many times - when we need to let nature take its course. Seen it and lived through it LOL.

Old 04-21-2023, 08:51 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,177,132 times
Red shouldered hawk scored a vole or mouse down near my pond!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature