Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2023, 03:18 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,157,537 times

Advertisements

After a too long winter, I am smiling to see the amount of sparrow doing sparrow things (I think you can guess what I am saying.)

With the amount of grim news going on in this world, it's nice to see Nature just happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2023, 01:47 AM

61,753 posts, read 87,217,162 times
Baby White Storks are hatched in huge nests across parts of Europe right now, and I love to watch them live online. Every year there is some drama - an egg falls out of the nest and humans come to rescue, a strange stork is attacking the mama when the father is out looking for food, or the youngest and weakest gets abandon and left to die by their parents, the flying lessons - successes and failures etc.
I watch them every year as they come back, often to their own nests.
Many nests have cult following with a forum where people watch them and share their observations.
There are many websites online, but i like to pick one nest with a best close-up view from this one:
https://www.worldcam.pl/kamery/tematyka/bociany

A stork is a monogamous breeder, and both members of the pair build a large stick nest, which may be used for several years. Each year the female can lay one clutch of usually four eggs, which hatch asynchronously 33–34 days after being laid.
Stork nests can be huge, more than 9 feet deep and 6 feet wide and weight 500+ lb.
A 1.5 tonne (over 3300 lb!) stork nest found in Poland is a contender to win contest for Europe’s biggest.
https://notesfrompoland.com/2022/07/...ropes-biggest/

The white stork is a long-distance migrant, they're wintering in southern Africa and India. Then come back to Europe to breed.
The mama lay 4-5 eggs and both parents take turns incubating the eggs and both feed the young.
It's quite fascinating to watch.

Old 04-27-2023, 05:35 AM

9,467 posts, read 5,237,391 times
This morning two Canadian geese were at our pond. This has become a brief springtime stop over for them. Usually just a couple/several mornings at this time of year. They swim and waddle around the perimeter of the pond and drive our dog crazy (if he's in the yard). We wonder if it's the same two geese. We also wonder if they are waiting for the rest of the flock to arrive back up north here.

Old 04-28-2023, 10:51 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times
Spring has sprung in N NV. I have an interestin gang of birds hanging out. I thought they were just more sparrows at first but after a close look I don't know what they are. They have black and white masks and more distinct body color. My usual Red Tails hawks are guarding their nest and thanks to a very wet winter the jack rabbits are exploding. Which means the coyotes will also go boom. But more tolerable predators will get a boost too, like bobcats foxes and of course raptors.

Last few summers the jacks have been pretty scarce. Not unusual in such horribly hot dry conditions as we've been in. We've warmed up into the 80s already this year but the late Spring pattern will be popping up big T storms with all the warm and cold mixing and the extra humidity. They could get pretty wild. This is a BIG warmup really fast.

All I can say with certainty is the critters are diggin' it

Old 04-28-2023, 04:28 PM

23,320 posts, read 18,890,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Spring has sprung in N NV. I have an interestin gang of birds hanging out. I thought they were just more sparrows at first but after a close look I don't know what they are. They have black and white masks and more distinct body color.
Without a photo who knows...are they terrestrial or arboreal? Some ideas off the top of my head:

horned lark
Lapland longspur or another longspur species
shorebirds? Semipalmated plover etc.

Old 04-29-2023, 05:01 AM

2,720 posts, read 2,220,898 times
Yesterday there were two crows attacking some type of snake that they got from a recently cleared off lot. They were in the street and apparently the snake was striking at them which would make the crows jump.

Old 04-29-2023, 07:59 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,903,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
He is leucistic, not albino. An albino wouldn't have red patches. I can't see his eyes but assume they're dark, not pink.
Thanks for schooling me Never saw a Cardinal or other eastern birds until moving here! It's really been a treat.

The (or "a") leucistic bird has ben hanging around after being gone for a while. Only one. Maybe a male assisting mama, or mama herself on some eggs? Hope so. Lots of places to make a good nest around here.

Old 04-29-2023, 09:51 AM

20,872 posts, read 9,554,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Without a photo who knows...are they terrestrial or arboreal? Some ideas off the top of my head:

horned lark
Lapland longspur or another longspur species
shorebirds? Semipalmated plover etc.
His location is NW Nevada, so I doubt it's a shorebird.

Lapland longspur seems like a good possibility, but it could also be a Lark sparrow or Black-throated sparrow.

Old 04-29-2023, 12:24 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,549,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Thanks for schooling me Never saw a Cardinal or other eastern birds until moving here! It's really been a treat.

The (or "a") leucistic bird has ben hanging around after being gone for a while. Only one. Maybe a male assisting mama, or mama herself on some eggs? Hope so. Lots of places to make a good nest around here.
You're welcome! It's important to share what we know! I had a male cardinal here from late fall through 10 days ago. Unfortunately, the female he sang for didn't show up. It's unusual to have them here, but I was hopeful. It was nice to see him at the feeder all winter.

Old 04-30-2023, 03:04 PM

23,320 posts, read 18,890,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
His location is NW Nevada, so I doubt it's a shorebird.

Lapland longspur seems like a good possibility, but it could also be a Lark sparrow or Black-throated sparrow.
As for shorebirds, many species migrate through or breed on inland freshwater wetlands across the arid SW. In spring you'll see them stopping over on smaller seasonal wetlands doomed to dry up later. Semipalms are widespread and pretty common. They are just one of 44 "shorebird" species listed for NV.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-30-2023 at 04:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature