Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2009, 02:03 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
Deporting them isn't going to stop the problem. Personally I'd rather have this country full of people resilient enough to make it into this country than all of the natural born sponges we have here.

Also the US doesn't have an official language so to demand that everyone speak English, while practical, isn't necessary. Even if the country was founded by people who spoke English they knew that it may not be English they would end up speaking since anyone could come in.

Nita-
If you don't think there wasn't spikes in crime during Prohibition, you are the one who is ill-informed. Yes everything that is now illegal was at one point legal and for sale long ago but most people don't realize it. There's always going to be new drugs. In fact NE just banned some kind of herb that had been legal up until a few weeks ago.
Sure there was some, but not like you seem to think. You were not alive, nor was I but I was a few years later and my parents were in college during that era..What crime was there and we all know about the ganster decade or so, had little to do with prohibition plus as I mentioned liquor was legal and then not, that is where much of the problems were..

As for speaking English, come on, when you can vote without speaking the language and take your citizen test without speaking it there is something wrong..the only exception I can see are elderly people who come here legally and live with family members for the remaining years of their lives. No, I do not think they need to speak English, I do think to become a citizen and to vote you should have to.

Of course most of us know some drugs were legal before have become illegal.

I think I have said about all there is to say on this subject, certainly all I can say to you, but I will add one thing; I hope I don't live long enough to see this country if radicals like you gain any control..

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 02:41 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,929,020 times
DTO LUV is truely a 'man on fire' and will be the first to leave Omaha when it is over run with more than 50% illegals from mexico. I give him less than a year and he'll be singing a different tune. They are not americans and deserve nothing more than a swift kick across the border.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:11 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,618,856 times
What does that mean?

I have been around many immigrants (legal and illegal) growing up and I honestly don't see what all the hoopla is about other that a technicality on how they got here. Most people that come here are not lazy or looking for handouts. Many of them that come here have already proven they're not lazy by getting here in the first place. Also if you don't have any documentation how do you apply for government assistance?

Old 03-03-2009, 03:11 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Yeah a lot of people who want unlimited illegal immigration would throw all their high-minded ideals out the window the minute their driveway is blocked and there's 20 people crowded in the house next door.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:34 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,896,351 times
Quote:
What does that mean?

I have been around many immigrants (legal and illegal) growing up and I honestly don't see what all the hoopla is about other that a technicality on how they got here. Most people that come here are not lazy or looking for handouts. Many of them that come here have already proven they're not lazy by getting here in the first place. Also if you don't have any documentation how do you apply for government assistance?
They have illegal and sometimes forged documentation.

For me, I'm bothered by the crime that has come with illegal immigration most. Of course, taking advantage of our system pisses me off also - the crime bothers me the most.

I don't think its any secret the high percentage of immigrants who choose to live a life of crime. We have enough domestically, we don't need to import our crime.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:48 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,130,500 times
If you want your kids to go to a spanish speaking school, then pay for it yourself like you would if you sent them to a private school. No federal or state money should be used to fund such a school, but maybe for people living on the island of Puerto Rico, and even then, english should be required in order to graduate from high school there, a US territory. Same goes for Miami, no federal or state funding for the schools if the graduates don't speak english.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:52 PM

874 posts, read 2,894,008 times
Quote:
Also if you don't have any documentation how do you apply for government assistance?
I'm not saying if I am pro- or anti-immigration... just wanted to reply re: government assistance. If illegal immigrants have a child here in the States, the child is a citizen. Even if the parents aren't citizens, the child is eligible for assistance programs such as Medicaid (the rules for Medicaid vary per state, but I have seen apps for a few different states and they often make a point to mention that the parents' immigration status doesn't matter - only the child's - and that Social Security #s aren't required to complete the app even though there is a spot for it). Whether citizens or not, kids are entitled to a free public education. Due to income guidelines, while at school they may then qualify for free lunch (and often breakfast as well); some districts around the country also have programs that provide free breakfast and lunch for these students even when school is out in the summer. If the kids have a "disability," the child can qualify for Social Security SSI $$.
Certainly immigrants aren't the only people who use these programs, but I just wanted to mention that even those without papers do sometimes receive assistance for others in their family.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,652 times
I happen to be multi-racial (hispanic, white) and i agree with MOST of what you people are saying. However, this country dominated by immigration NONE of us accept the Natives would be here without immigration. How do you think they did it? Do you have your ancestors green card scrap-booked in a ziplock bag???...didn't think so. And don't you remember the whole reason from revolting from England?? TAXES... God knows nobody realy wants to pay them they are simply outragious. Not to mention instead of building sholders on roads, new books for school, or even making college affordable MOST of our small town taxes are going to rediculous things like buying new uniforms for the volleyball team every year they make it to state, The swimming pool because there are too many life guards on duty, or EVERYTHING ELSE. What realy makes me mad is the state of our economy, when i was younger i was told that food was becoming more expensive because the gas prices were high so it cost more to ship the goods. Then when the price of gas went down the food price still got higher. I blame manufactures for the economic downfall. Not the immigrants (but they do have a role in this situation) I work in a small business and i see how it is ran. In order to make ANY profit on food you have to jack up the prices then add in the tax. The price of living has gone up so much that us in complete poverty have trouble stimulating the economy because all we can afford is ramen. And it is completly unfair how the ailens are taking jobs here in the summer and then taking thier $45,000 cars and all flooding the U.S. cash to mexico so they can live like kings for the winter months till they come back. However... when the immigrants moved here i noticed that most of the whites did things that were morally wrong because they could just blame it on the "mexicans" and get off scotch free... when i worked in a bar i saw a fight break out because a white man was racist to an immigrant just purely hated him for his skin and heritage, bashed him in with a pool stick till it broke across his face. The monster of crime isn't in a race its in all humanity.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:50 PM

81 posts, read 160,211 times
Haw-Haw! (In the voice of Nelson Muntz)

Old 07-16-2009, 07:50 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,718,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephthys View Post
Illegal immigrants = more crime? PLEASE! They want to work unlike half this country and they do a better job at it then some of us for minimum wage or less. Let's not forget who was here first.
Who's wants to frame houses for 8 buck an hour? The influx illegals has killed wages in a lot of trades. No one wants to fall off a roof for crap pay.

Also when a married couple comes here, well, they're married in Mexico. But documentattion doesn't exist here. So the husband works, the wife claims to be single and gets welfare for the kids. Seen it over and over in California. I'd like to move to NE, but I don't want to live around ANY illegals.

Another thing. All this influx, all the people. They aren't assimilating into our culture very well. That's a fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska