Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 02:48 PM

77 posts, read 498,842 times

Advertisements

What is the worst town in Nebraska you have ever been too? and Why?

For me it has to be.....Laurel, Ne.

Why? We could not find a cafe' that was open at 1:30 p.m.. the truck stop was open, but who wants to eat there.
We ended up at the Pizza Ranch. that was a waiste of money. We had the buffet Which was old food that was there for a while. We asked if they could make some fresh pizza they said yes they would, but it took 45 minutes.

Also the poeple in town were very rude and unhelpful. Next time we are through that way we will just drive on by and stop at Hartington,Ne.

What are some of your worst towns you have been through?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2007, 10:20 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,259,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARNYOU View Post
the truck stop was open, but who wants to eat there.
Ummm......Lots of people.

Old 01-12-2007, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Ummm......Lots of people.
OK......................................

Old 01-13-2007, 10:38 AM

6 posts, read 64,643 times
Holdrege is about the same talk about rude prople!!!

Old 01-14-2007, 03:56 AM

482 posts, read 2,225,606 times
Please explain how you would like to be treated? The how were the people in Holdrege and Laurel treating you? Maybe next time you are in Laurel you can call ahead and have them cook just for you.

Old 01-15-2007, 04:37 AM

673 posts, read 4,068,929 times
This isnt a new complaint about rural Nebraskans treatment of outsiders. I think rural Nebraska has major hospitality issues. I agree with what has been said on here. I find that rural Nebraska (mainly western part of the state) when you stop in their small towns they have very low standards about what they feed customers at their restaurants and they serve up a major attitude also. This doesnt apply to all restaurants in rural areas, just mine and other people's experiences with rural Nebraska.

That said
Omaha and Lincoln are the best towns in the state because people actually have standards and restaurants have to compete for business.

In the rural parts of the state most retail and restaurants have a if you dont like last-nights leftovers that tasted terrible attitude just dont come back. Besides judging by the attitude most rural Nebraskans would rather tourists eat and shop in Omaha and Lincoln and not stop in their blighted run-down communities.

No wonder people are leaving rural Nebraska with the exception of a few isolated areas in large numbers.

As somebody from from the state of Colorado who lives in the Omaha area I have always been puzzled by the extreme arrogance and lack of standards of rural Nebraskans.

Last edited by MattDen; 01-15-2007 at 04:46 AM..

Old 01-15-2007, 05:30 AM

Well that is your outlook at rural Nebraska and I resepct your views as those belonging to you. I have lived in both rural and now close to Lincoln. I have traveled into many different states as a tourist and lived in places like Hawaii, California, east coast and Europe. I feel that most people do not look at the way individuals live in a more rural area like in western Nebraska, because they have never lived there. In rural Nebraska they cook meals much like they cook at their homes, the way their parents cooked them. Some are bad, but most of the time the meals are very good. The people there treat you the way you act toward them. If you go there acting like I am from a big city and I am better than you, because you are just a farm hic, then yes they will treat you not as good, because most likely you will never come back anyway. You see the people in rural Nebraska feel left out by the people of eastern Nebraska. Do you know that the people of western Nebraska had talked about forming their own state and making their captial North Platte. If you look the only things past Kearney that is considered a large State of Nebraska government agency is the local Department of Roads maintenance yards and Chadron State College. The people of western Nebraska have very little voice in the State Legisture as well. of the 43 or so State Senators in office nine of them come from the western 2/3's of the State. No wonder they don't put out the welcome mat to everyone from eastern Nebraska. When I do go back to the western Nebraska I am treated just fine, because I understand these people, because I have lived with them and they know that someday I will come back. I also find that most all people of Nebraska are very warm and helpful no matter from where they live if you give them the chance. So you can have your views about the western Cornhuskers as it is your right, but if you want to talk about arrogance and lack of standards go California, I will take Nebraska values and our Christian based standards instead. Just look at the difference in how we treat the visiting university sports teams that come to Nebraska and how they treat them in let's say Boulder, Colorado. We even treat the fans from Colorado with respect.

Old 01-15-2007, 03:02 PM

I knew that this topic would make some sparks to fly. I would like to say that not all towns in Nebraska are all bad, just a few. I do like Hartington, Springview, Sargent, Salem, Wynot, Comstock McCook, Maywood,Guide Rock,Bee, Nelson, Harvard, Central City, Red Cloud. And me the all time favorite town is.....Lawrence,Ne.

Alot of good points have been brought up, but I have to say you are right about this attitude towards outsiders. I travel this great state of our's for my job I have been to almost every town east of Broken Bow. I see alot of towns are trying build up and bring more business to their town. I also see lot of towns dieing out, and I see a lot of what I call ghost-towns to name a few..Primrose, Alexandria, Guide Rock, Scholes, Pauline, and Sargent.Some towns a person just feels welcome in and some towns you don't and It is mostly in the towns trying to build themselves up I feel the most unwelcome.

Go figuire... OH and Stay Away from Laurel,NE

Old 01-20-2007, 02:56 PM

Well I have never been to Laurel. I have been in the towns, villages that you have mentioned. Yes we have many small towns fighting to stay alive any way they can. I live in one of these towns now. Seems as if they all think that by keeping a small school, that is losing students every year, open will keep the town alive. All they did was make the taxes go so high that it is better to live in Lincoln or Omaha as the taxes are lower, jobs are better and the schools offer more to the children. If I knew that my home would sale in a few months I would move out and go somewhere else. It is not because the people are rude it is just that they are just plain stupid. I have to agree with what MattDen says about some of the people in rural Nebraska. They want everything to stay just the way it was 20 to 30 years ago and they do not want to accept any kind of change. If you disagree with some of them then you become an outsider as well. They do not look ahead at what they are doing and what their decisions really mean for their town or village. Where I live there are so many empty houses for sale and no one wants to buy when they learn about what we have to pay in taxes to support the stupid ideas that they come up with.

You keep up with your travels and enjoy Nebraska. I hope to be back in the State in May from my current job in Europe.

Last edited by kosnebbear; 01-20-2007 at 03:00 PM.. Reason: missing words

Old 01-20-2007, 08:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
This isnt a new complaint about rural Nebraskans treatment of outsiders. ...As somebody from from the state of Colorado who lives in the Omaha area I have always been puzzled by the extreme arrogance and lack of standards of rural Nebraskans.
or... we can all be very humbled by watching the video "North Platte Canteen" (on Public TV last year). How many eggs do you have to peel to make sandwiches for millions of soldiers? and getting up at 3AM on a snowy day to do chores and catch a ride so you could volunteer for 16 hrs, then drag home to do chores and be up for church the next morning...(we all have a lot to learn..., and be thankful for... so sorry my kids didn't get to grow up at a dairy farm boarding school )

While U.S. society in general has digressed to the 'entitlement' era; (Berenstain Bears - 'Gimme's)... There are still plenty of good folks out there, we just need some really tough times to let it show. I've generally been treated pretty well, and actually have high expectations of service, but... not everyone belongs in a service job. (+ unhappy employee's...bad day...tough financial / family times... rotten boss...)

I usually try to give them a chance or invest my time as well as my $$ in them, and after a few failures, I move on...and encourage them to find something they like. Can't say I've been too burnt by food quality, but sometimes places within EZ reach of the interstate are lacking. I usually go a bit further off the road (5 more minutes) and try to 'vitalize' a cafe that does not have a captive market, and welcomes a strange face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska