Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 08:56 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom28sofar View Post
I agree that this will NOT be good for America. This is just another major intrusion on our freedoms.
You might not realize it, but early to middle 20th century Republicans are actually the modern equivalent to centrist and blue dog Democrats. The Republican party of 2010 has nothing like the party of 50 years ago. Also, I don't think most Republicans know what the word conservation means. The most ardent conservationist of his time, Teddy Roosevelt was one of the leaders of the National Park movement to secure lands against development pressure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 07:28 AM

704 posts, read 1,871,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
You might not realize it, but early to middle 20th century Republicans are actually the modern equivalent to centrist and blue dog Democrats. The Republican party of 2010 has nothing like the party of 50 years ago. Also, I don't think most Republicans know what the word conservation means. The most ardent conservationist of his time, Teddy Roosevelt was one of the leaders of the National Park movement to secure lands against development pressure.

...and also proposed the first national healthcare system.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:06 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,469,460 times
We'll see what happens. I don't think it's going to do anything for me personally besides raise my taxes. Unless it forces my insurance company to not pick and choose what they will and will not cover when it comes to medical. That's the way that I'm personally getting hurt by insurance. I do think the taxation for people that don't have coverage is a really bad move, if not unconstitutional.

I also do not like how abortions are covered. I know states can opt out, but everyones tax money goes into a pool to pay for this regardless of whether or not your state opts out. I don't care what your thoughts are on abortion, but in the end, it's an elective procedure and people that don't support abortion shouldn't be forced to pay for it.

I'm not sure if it's true, but it sounds like insurance companies will be forced to cover elective therapies such as ED perscriptions. Which might seem ok, but what about if the person trying to get ED medication is a convicted sex offender? Just a thought someone mentioned to me.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:00 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,230,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICHAEL J View Post
Fred, since you’ve completely mischaracterized the argument I’ve got to conclude that the ignorance is on your side.

It’s not “I’m fine, so therefore everyone must be fine”. It’s, I’m fine as are 80% to 85% of us. So leave us alone and let’s do what we have to do to help the other 15% to 20% who are not fine. Don’t suck all of us into this government run system and ruin it for all. We can address the problems in the system without a complete government takeover for a miniscule dollar amount as compared to a multi-trillion dollar government dictated system that our children and grandchildren are never going to be able to pay for. To me that’s really the selfish cruelty.
You DO know there is no government option, right??
And we can address it, but NO ONE DID until just last spring.

So far as "addressing the problems," I've been watching my self-pay insurance premiums rise exponentially every year for the 15 years we've been insured.
I have been waiting for YEARS to see a workable solution to the problem. I have entirely too many friends and neighbors who are uninsured or worse, uninsurABLE.

No, like I said, this new law might not be perfect, but it's the best we've seen in DECADES! Thank God enough people finally decided enough was enough.

It's not right that people should be trapped in a job that makes them miserable because they're afraid to be uninsured. It is not right that they should have to fear bankruptcy if they have the unmitigated gall to develop a serious illness.
This is the 21st century, in the United States!!

Old 04-07-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheaton View Post
I don't think it's going to do anything for me personally besides raise my taxes.
Quick and easy way to find out:
What does the health care bill mean to me? (washingtonpost.com)

Old 04-07-2010, 10:36 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,469,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
That's actually an interesting tool. This is what I get:

There will be no change to your insurance coverage.

If you have children, you will be able to keep them on your insurance until they are 26. If you have adult children who don't have access to health insurance through an employer and are between the ages of 22 and 26, you will be able to put them back on your plan beginning in late September.

You will not pay any additional taxes.

So that's fine. . According to this, the legislation doesn't affect my current status at all (I don't have kids yet).

My complaint is simply that though. It doesn't help my situation. I would pay a few extra dollars in taxes if it meant the insurance company couldn't run over me and make medical expenses more miserable than they already are.

For instance. We don't have kids, because my wife had a condition that was preventing that, not to mention this condition was causing her pain. Because we want to have kids and get rid of the condition causing her pain, we decided to have this condition surgically corrected. Insurance would have paid for birth control pills that might have helped my wife's pain, but not the surgery to help both infertility and pain. Insurance decided not to cover portions of it, because they decided they don't want to handle infertility issues. I don't know why, but I suspect it's because if they fix a fertility issue, then they will have to cover maternity, which will cost them more.

These are real issues, not slapping a check in someones hand and telling them to go buy insurance or face fines. Because they will have the same issues I'm having.

Then, I worry about when I get older and may need Medicare (will it be available?) Will I be able to get the best care or will I be left to die, because nobody can help me pay for treatment?

Old 04-07-2010, 12:10 PM

I agree with your basic complaints.
What we really needed was a government option, but the right wing pitched enough of a hissy fit as is, that there was no way that was going to go through...
(Though there seem to be a lot of morons in this country who aren't paying attention given how many of them are griping about having to have government health care. Reading the Omaha Herald about drives me bananas. Stupid people should not be allowed to write in. lol)

~Erin

Old 04-07-2010, 01:24 PM

209 posts, read 432,602 times
Everyone has their own thoughts about this law, but I would recommend reading the bill itself rather than someone else's interpretation.

We can debate this thing until the cows come home, but the dems did what they had to do to push it through (as usual they have exempted themselves) and it is now the law of the land unless the repubs can capture enough seats to repeal. Only time will tell what the effect will be on each of us.

Polls indicate that Sen. Ben Nelson's approval rating has dropped approximately 30 percent, from the mid-70's to the mid-40's. And only 17 percent of Nebraska voters approve of the deal he made.

Will be interesting to see what develops between now and November 2012.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Everyone has their own thoughts about this law, but I would recommend reading the bill itself rather than someone else's interpretation.
Yep, and if you do indeed read it you quickly see that there have been a bunch of histrionics and gnashing of teeth that really had nothing to do with what is in the law.

Quote:
Polls indicate that Sen. Ben Nelson's approval rating has dropped approximately 30 percent, from the mid-70's to the mid-40's.
I've no doubt.
Again, I refer to the World Herald and all of the morons who are writing in who have absolutely no clue what they're talking about.
But boy, stupidity sure doesn't keep 'em from being ANGRY.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:52 PM

209 posts, read 432,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Yep, and if you do indeed read it you quickly see that there have been a bunch of histrionics and gnashing of teeth that really had nothing to do with what is in the law.

I've no doubt.
Again, I refer to the World Herald and all of the morons who are writing in who have absolutely no clue what they're talking about.
But boy, stupidity sure doesn't keep 'em from being ANGRY.
Yeah, those stupid ole voters just need to sit down, shut up and take it, 'cause they just don't know what's good for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska