Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2023, 08:56 PM

1,837 posts, read 675,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Wegmans is still the best; it’s very hard to beat them. The ShopRite in Voorhees of which you speak is actually in Cherry Hill on Evesham Rd with Voorhees being on the other side of the road. It used to be a Stop & Shop before that, but it has been Shop Rite for quite some time now. All Genuardi’s stores have been gone for like a decade now. I used to work for them. The Ellisburg one is now a Whole Foods. The Marlton one on 73 became Rastelli Market Fresh, which is a really cool store. Limited selection on most of the basics and maybe more expensive than Shop Rite, but they do great with prepared foods, deli, bakery, etc.
Small correction:
The Marlton Genuardi's got subdivided to two spaces, one being fit for Marshall's, and the other Rastelli's. Just to give an idea that it is half the size of what Genuardi's used to be in the spot.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2023, 09:13 AM

329 posts, read 224,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g555 View Post
Small correction:
The Marlton Genuardi's got subdivided to two spaces, one being fit for Marshall's, and the other Rastelli's. Just to give an idea that it is half the size of what Genuardi's used to be in the spot.
This past Wednesday, I drove over to Cherry Hill to meet an old friend who had come back to Jersey from California for her high-school reunion. Although I was on the road well before the evening rush hour, once I crossed from PA to NJ, traffic from Burlington to Cherry Hill was simply awful.

There was a bright side, though, besides reuniting with my friend whom I hadn't seen in years, and that was our visit to the The Cherry Hill Mall. Many U.S. malls have been on the decline for a number of years now, but Cherry Hill Mall remains a higher-caliber mall. So, from my limited perspective, that's one appeal of Cherry Hill. As for living there, the traffic alone would be a deterrent for me.

Old 10-19-2023, 02:08 PM

2,941 posts, read 5,183,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieThruTheGlass View Post
This past Wednesday, I drove over to Cherry Hill to meet an old friend who had come back to Jersey from California for her high-school reunion. Although I was on the road well before the evening rush hour, once I crossed from PA to NJ, traffic from Burlington to Cherry Hill was simply awful.

There was a bright side, though, besides reuniting with my friend whom I hadn't seen in years, and that was our visit to the The Cherry Hill Mall. Many U.S. malls have been on the decline for a number of years now, but Cherry Hill Mall remains a higher-caliber mall. So, from my limited perspective, that's one appeal of Cherry Hill. As for living there, the traffic alone would be a deterrent for me.
Hmmm...that's good to hear about Cherry Hill Mall! So the shops as well as the types of shoppers throughout the mall were at least decent, if not totally acceptable to most? Yes, I guess I sound elitist but I am actually low income.

I was last at that mall 200 years ago when returning to the area for a weekend visit in Cherry Hill with my mom. But I got a weird vibe then from some of the "shoppers" and didn't feel completely safe....and this was before mall shootings became routine.

Is the Deptford Mall still around? I recall when it opened in 1977-78 or so and I drove further to that mall, just as an alternative to Echelon. Moorestown and Cherry Hill malls.

Can anyone describe what it's like at and near Echelon Mall now,? Any stores still there or it's all been torn down long ago?

I think some residential had replaced some of it even years ago. I recall the food court and cinemas back in the late 70s until whenever.. Boscov's was there in the early 2000s still? Strawbridge & Clothier became what...Macy's? That's gone as well?

My friend's dad was the manager at Kauffman's carpets on the 2nd floor at Echelon Mall; and at 17, my friend from Cherry Hill East worked at night after school at Anderson Little at Moorestown Mall...I thought that was kind of cool and "grown up" as I didn't have a job yet while in high school.

Is the Voorhees library across the street from the Echelon Mall area still there? It was new in the late 70s!

Old 10-20-2023, 11:44 AM

10,435 posts, read 6,964,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post

I was last at that mall 200 years ago when returning to the area for a weekend visit in Cherry Hill with my mom. But I got a weird vibe then from some of the "shoppers" and didn't feel completely safe....and this was before mall shootings became routine.
Haven't been to the Cherry Hill Mall in about 18 years, but there used to be two sides of the mall that was segregated by demographics.

Old 11-17-2023, 11:59 PM

724 posts, read 448,137 times
Quote:
Hmmm...that's good to hear about Cherry Hill Mall! So the shops as well as the types of shoppers throughout the mall were at least decent, if not totally acceptable to most? Yes, I guess I sound elitist but I am actually low income.

Is the Deptford Mall still around? I recall when it opened in 1977-78 or so and I drove further to that mall, just as an alternative to Echelon. Moorestown and Cherry Hill malls.

Can anyone describe what it's like at and near Echelon Mall now,? Any stores still there or it's all been torn down long ago?

I think some residential had replaced some of it even years ago. I recall the food court and cinemas back in the late 70s until whenever.. Boscov's was there in the early 2000s still? Strawbridge & Clothier became what...Macy's? That's gone as well?

My friend's dad was the manager at Kauffman's carpets on the 2nd floor at Echelon Mall; and at 17, my friend from Cherry Hill East worked at night after school at Anderson Little at Moorestown Mall...I thought that was kind of cool and "grown up" as I didn't have a job yet while in high school.

Is the Voorhees library across the street from the Echelon Mall area still there? It was new in the late 70s!

The mall itself is doing well but the owners are a mess and may not be able to continue operating, I wonder what will happen to the Cherry hill mall if that happens, would they just get sold off to another owner ?
https://patch.com/new-jersey/cherryh...t-payments-due

Old 11-20-2023, 02:58 PM

968 posts, read 1,140,083 times
My cousin and his wife just bought a house in Cherry Hill. They're expecting a child. Haddontowne/Kresson Woods area. Close to 295 and Haddonfield. His wife really loves the area. Mid 60s colonial, neighborhood looks perfectly nice to me. Reminds me of East Brunswick.

Old 11-25-2023, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Haven't been to the Cherry Hill Mall in about 18 years, but there used to be two sides of the mall that was segregated by demographics.
Wow...interesting. Maybe it's still like that?

Old 11-26-2023, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoNJtoPA View Post
My cousin and his wife just bought a house in Cherry Hill. They're expecting a child. Haddontowne/Kresson Woods area. Close to 295 and Haddonfield. His wife really loves the area. Mid 60s colonial, neighborhood looks perfectly nice to me. Reminds me of East Brunswick.
Good to hear. Yeah, I lived in the Old Orchard neighborhood for adolescence from 1972-78 and our colonial, a cookie cutter, was probably built in the early 60s. I was born out of state and grew up in a few states before relocating to the Philadelphia side of the Philadelphia region for sixth grade before Cherry Hill.

Is the wife already from the south Jersey/Philadelphia area, perhaps, or maybe an outsider who fell in love with the south Jersey area? Hmmm.. and I wonder if a north Jersey transplant who moved to most any or all areas of south Jersey would like it or reject it for whatever reason. Maybe too much of a culture shock with the accents being deferent and the sports teams being different!

Old 11-26-2023, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeShades View Post
The mall itself is doing well but the owners are a mess and may not be able to continue operating, I wonder what will happen to the Cherry hill mall if that happens, would they just get sold off to another owner ?
https://patch.com/new-jersey/cherryh...t-payments-due
Good to hear the mall is doing well.

But it would be a shame if it ever closed despite that being so common across the country in recent years.

Old 12-08-2023, 05:58 PM

968 posts, read 1,140,083 times
Quote:
Good to hear. Yeah, I lived in the Old Orchard neighborhood for adolescence from 1972-78 and our colonial, a cookie cutter, was probably built in the early 60s. I was born out of state and grew up in a few states before relocating to the Philadelphia side of the Philadelphia region for sixth grade before Cherry Hill.

Is the wife already from the south Jersey/Philadelphia area, perhaps, or maybe an outsider who fell in love with the south Jersey area? Hmmm.. and I wonder if a north Jersey transplant who moved to most any or all areas of south Jersey would like it or reject it for whatever reason. Maybe too much of a culture shock with the accents being deferent and the sports teams being different!
No he actually grew up in Voorhees right next door. Lived there his whole life until college then spent time living in NYC and had one of those industrial lofts in Brooklyn for over 10 years. His wife is actually from Syracuse. They wanted to move back to be close to his parents who are not in the best health. Plus it's cheaper to live in South Jersey let alone anywhere near Philly than anywhere near NYC. The wife liked my house too but got kinda turned off when finding out we don't have basements in Levittown. But real estate is also more expensive here in PA though we don't pay the taxes you pay in NJ. I know Levittown in particular is more hit or miss compared to Cherry Hill as a whole but Neshaminy Schools are at least on par with Cherry Hill these days. That area is nice enough, but traffic can be bad at times, especially Route 70 and 73. I lived in a different town in South Jersey for a bit and considered settling there, but weighing my options for renting at the time and eventually buying a house it seemed far more worth it to come across the river to PA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia