Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2023, 02:49 AM

2,941 posts, read 5,183,965 times

Advertisements

Long post...

I lived in Cherry Hill during my adolescence from 1972 to 1978.

I graduated from Cherry Hill East. I had always heard Cherry Hill's appeal was the public school system. So is the school system still highly regarded?

I realize demographics have changed, maybe even in the 1990s?

My graduating class seemed 99% or100% (?) white back them, unless I am simply forgetting the types of people there then.

In recent decades, is the Indian population as impactful and noticeable as I believe it is in Cherry Hill? I noticed the appearance of their small grocery stores and eateries maybe 20 years ago, or even earlier, which weren't present in my adolescence

I had several Jewish friends there. Are Jewish folks as prevalent now? I assume so, or maybe other demographics have diluted the Jewish presence?

I think a Korean couple and their college son at George University were living across my mother's townhouse in Cherry Hill for a few years back around 2003 ..not sure if there is a noticeable Korean contingent nowadays?

Anyway, the homes from my time there are now much older. Run down a bit -- or mostly well maintained?

Even in 1977, our neighbors may have been alridissatisfied with Cherry Hill, as they built a small custom house in Medford Lakes. I assume that's a quieter, maybe more desirable alternative for some to ctherry Hill, then and now? Not sure which high school they use there, or if it's anywhere as strong as Cherry Hill East and West high schools.

I haven't been back since 2012 or do but look forward to a quick visit soon, if just for a comforting feeling from my youth. Maybe even check out Springdale Farm. I liked their pies.

Will I be disappointed? Or it's still a decent place, maybe still highly desirable for families, especially those who can't afford Haddonfield and Moorestown?

Which other town around are now considered more appealing than Cherry Hill -- always or even in just recent years? Collingswood? What about Mt. Laurel nowadays...don't know much about it except for the bus station to Manhattan.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2023, 10:47 AM

76 posts, read 107,046 times
Yes a lot has changed since the 1970s. More ethnic minorities. Still a large jewish population. Schools are still very good. But this is the same for nearly every big metro area in the US.

Springdale Farm is still around. A lot has changed, but you would still probably recognize things. The Mt Laurel bus to NYC is no longer there. A lot more shops, restaurants, etc have opened upon the major highways (Rt 73, Rt 38, Rt 70). Overall still a great place to live.

Old 07-05-2023, 08:32 PM

1,837 posts, read 675,831 times
The Jewish, Indian and Korean population is still prevalent in the East side of Cherry Hill. Marlton is appealing for some now as well but it adds to the drive time to Philly and PATCO. A lot of Indians have been moving to Marlton, esp into the newer town homes and homes.

To get to NYC, most drive up to Hamilton Station and others look into the bus from Exit 5 area.

As for the older homes, some are renovating them before selling, or flips are happening.

One major disappointment was the closing of the Virtua Fitness center off Evesham Rd in Voorhees. There is still the Katz JCC and private gyms by Echelon, but it is still a loss. Lifetime Athletic is off Church Rd in Mt Laurel and is the premier gym of the area but still 20 minutes away.

I like the Union Mill Rd /Laurel Acres area of Mount Laurel, south of 38.

Medford and Medford Lakes become more Republican politically and less racially diverse but I think the new home spillover effect might have folks who would have lived in Marlton ending up in Medford now. I would guess Chipotle, Panera and Chick Fil A would want to open up in Medford eventually.

Last edited by g555; 07-05-2023 at 08:54 PM..

Old 07-06-2023, 02:29 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,123,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g555 View Post
Medford and Medford Lakes become more Republican politically and less racially diverse but I think the new home spillover effect might have folks who would have lived in Marlton ending up in Medford now. I would guess Chipotle, Panera and Chick Fil A would want to open up in Medford eventually.
FWIW - In 1970 Medford was 99% white. Now it's 90% white. The black population went from 0.5% to 2% and all the rest are Asians or mixed race. I can speak to the politics but it's definitely more diverse now than it used to be.

Old 07-11-2023, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
FWIW - In 1970 Medford was 99% white. Now it's 90% white. The black population went from 0.5% to 2% and all the rest are Asians or mixed race. I can speak to the politics but it's definitely more diverse now than it used to be.
Politics in 2020, there were the Trump car parades going around near Johnson farm and the Republican contender for governor made a stop in Medford in 2021. He didn’t choose to go to Cherry Hill.

Medford is still not dark Red like parts of Pa where Let’s Go Brandon signs in front of homes are probably more common. In South Jersey, if one uses the backroads to Vineland, it appears more likely one will catch anti Biden signs.

That being said Medford is getting more diverse likely with the new housing. Atsion Lake is frequented by Black and Hispanic families in the the summer although it is in Shamong Twp

Old 07-13-2023, 10:25 AM

10,435 posts, read 6,964,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
I'm a millennial who went to high school in Medford in the 00's. Our graduating class of 550 students was 549 white.

Old 08-16-2023, 01:25 AM

2,941 posts, read 5,183,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
I'm a millennial who went to high school in Medford in the 00's. Our graduating class of 550 students was 549 white.
Thanks everyone for your replies! I just had a chance now to finally check in again on this subforum.

I am shocked about no bus from Mt. Laurel to Port Authority! When did it stop operations, and why? Wow.

DannyHobkins: My Cheery Hill East 1978 graduating class was probably close to 100% white, unless I'm imagining things differently decades later.

Is Wegmans still the best supermarket in the Cherry Hill area? My mom usually went to ShopRite in Voorhees (now Stop & Shop in recent years?) from 1990 to 2007 when she lived alone in a townhouse in Cherry Hill, after she and my dad had moved to lower Westchester County, NY, for about 12 years, then back to Cheriy Hill in retirement.

Hmmm... I also recall Genuardi's supermarket In Ellisburg Circle maybe 20 years ago. Not sure when they arrived there or if still there. Can't recall if a supermarket had been there previously in the 70s while there in high school. And is it still called Ellisburg Circle, since it's been a long time since it was a circle?

I still recall taking my bike from the Old Orchard neighborhood in Cherry Hill in the mid to late 70s to Clover department store on Rt. 70 to buy record albums. I think it became an Acme then maybe a hardware store? What's there now?

I think Marine Midland bank was in that plaza at some point in the 70s. We moved from Buffalo where we used that bank, but I didn't realize it had a presence in south Jersey until we discovered it there. Or I'm mistaken and it wasn't a Marine Midland at all.

Ooooohh, I loved Pintosti's pizza parlor on Rt. 70 between Old Orchard and Marlton, NJ. I think it was on the opposite side of Clover. I looked online recently, but it doesn't appear to be around now. I wonder when it closed.

Oh, and I think an Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips was nearby on the same side as Pintosti's back then. And a Two Guys department store further down towards Olga's Diner.

Yikes. I'm really dating myself!

Old 08-16-2023, 05:32 AM

76 posts, read 107,046 times
The bus to Port Authority NYC still runs. But not from Mt Laurel. You can catch it from the bus station in Mt Holly (Exit 5 on the NJ Turnpike)

Old 08-16-2023, 07:22 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,751,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Is Wegmans still the best supermarket in the Cherry Hill area? My mom usually went to ShopRite in Voorhees (now Stop & Shop in recent years?) from 1990 to 2007 when she lived alone in a townhouse in Cherry Hill, after she and my dad had moved to lower Westchester County, NY, for about 12 years, then back to Cheriy Hill in retirement.

Hmmm... I also recall Genuardi's supermarket In Ellisburg Circle maybe 20 years ago. Not sure when they arrived there or if still there. Can't recall if a supermarket had been there previously in the 70s while there in high school. And is it still called Ellisburg Circle, since it's been a long time since it was a circle?
Wegmans is still the best; it’s very hard to beat them. The ShopRite in Voorhees of which you speak is actually in Cherry Hill on Evesham Rd with Voorhees being on the other side of the road. It used to be a Stop & Shop before that, but it has been Shop Rite for quite some time now. All Genuardi’s stores have been gone for like a decade now. I used to work for them. The Ellisburg one is now a Whole Foods. The Marlton one on 73 became Rastelli Market Fresh, which is a really cool store. Limited selection on most of the basics and maybe more expensive than Shop Rite, but they do great with prepared foods, deli, bakery, etc.

Old 08-18-2023, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies! I just had a chance now to finally check in again on this subforum.

I am shocked about no bus from Mt. Laurel to Port Authority! When did it stop operations, and why? Wow.

DannyHobkins: My Cheery Hill East 1978 graduating class was probably close to 100% white, unless I'm imagining things differently decades later.

I still recall taking my bike from the Old Orchard neighborhood in Cherry Hill in the mid to late 70s to Clover department store on Rt. 70 to buy record albums. I think it became an Acme then maybe a hardware store? What's there now?

I think Marine Midland bank was in that plaza at some point in the 70s. We moved from Buffalo where we used that bank, but I didn't realize it had a presence in south Jersey until we discovered it there. Or I'm mistaken and it wasn't a Marine Midland at all.

Ooooohh, I loved Pintosti's pizza parlor on Rt. 70 between Old Orchard and Marlton, NJ. I think it was on the opposite side of Clover. I looked online recently, but it doesn't appear to be around now. I wonder when it closed.

Oh, and I think an Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips was nearby on the same side as Pintosti's back then. And a Two Guys department store further down towards Olga's Diner.

Yikes. I'm really dating myself!

The pandemic changed ridership on the Greyhound line from Mt Laurel to Port Authority. Greyhound later moved to a nearby hotel parking lot for passengers, but later decided to move up to Westampton (Exit 5 area) to be near the Academy bus line. Greyhound's website still markets it as Mt Laurel but the station info is Westampton.

The former Acme you are referring to is a Planet Fitness. You are right, that it was a Sears Hardware for a period of time.

The former Clover site basically remains vacant. It was a furniture store (Oskar Huber Furniture) but it has been vacant for a long time. That furniture store still has 2 other locations (one in Southampton PA and other in Ship Bottom NJ).

Strangely, after Acme closed, and then Clover closed, the two sites have never been filled together again. It's always one tenant and the other side vacant.

I wish H-Mart would move to that location and I think it would be a site improvement for the grocer, while still remaining on the east side of Cherry Hill.

As for best grocery store, I prefer going to smaller stores, Whole Foods, Sprouts, Mom's and Trader Joes, over Wegmans. It's great CH has all those options and ShopRite and Aldi too. Grocery Outlet recently opened in SJ in Delran and soon Vineland and might one day be another grocery store in the area.

The Ellisburg location which is now CH Whole Foods was Genuardi's prior and a ShopRite prior to that. I believe there was a longer gap between the time ShopRite had closed and Genuardi's had opened, than between the time Genuardis' closed and Whole Foods decided to lease there.

The interesting thing about 70/73 now is the number of Indian restaurants and Indian pizza restaurants. In the past, those were focused on Voorhees more, but it has shifted a bit.

Last edited by g555; 08-18-2023 at 09:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia