U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
Old 09-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Location: Epping,NH
2,105 posts, read 6,376,003 times
Reputation: 1085


I realize they are supposed to
If they have no licensed operator in the vehicle, then they are driving unlicensed.

Read your policy your will most likely see in the text what the policy is based on, such as "No unmarried drivers" or "No drivers under " a certain age. Drivers would mean licensed, not a permit.

Failure to disclose a young driver is application fraud. As the insurance company will find out you have a young driver in the household sooner or later, if that individual gets involved in a serious incident, don't expect the insurance carrier to willingly pay off. At least your damages and may subject you to a recovery process. Short of some sort of proof the younger driver was not capable of driving your vehicle (deployment over seas), not disclosing the fact simply put the owner in serious financial risk.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 09:13 AM
572 posts, read 1,948,778 times
Reputation: 341
As an insurance professional I would recommend that you contact your company or broker to determine if they have to be added. Most companies in the state of NJ do not require permitted operators to be listed as it is the responsibility of the licesned driver to ensire that they are driving in a safe and approporiate manner. That being said, all companies have different rules guidelines, most of which are filed with and approved by the state.

Failure to disclose any changes in household composition (including but not limited to listing all licensed drivers in the househoold regardless of relationship to the policyholder on the policy)would be considered insurance fraud and would generally cause the policy to be become null and void in the case of any accident. That would mean you would be personally on the hook for any physical damage caused as well as any liability claims which could be extremely costly. Not to mention the fact that it will be impossible for you to replace your coverage elsewhere unless of course you then committ fraud again and lie on the application with your new company.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2010, 09:31 AM
1,173 posts, read 4,557,288 times
Reputation: 1338
I would definitely do it if the insurance company requires it, in your household who is the MOST likely to get into an accident?? Your 16 year old for sure.

Have your teenager pay for the increase (or atleast a portion of it) driving is a priviliage and it isn't cheap, do your kid a favor and start teaching them that lesson now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2010, 09:57 AM
1,977 posts, read 7,430,306 times
Reputation: 1162
This goes back MANY years but I used to drive without a license when I was younger. The first time I got caught I was 14, vehicle impounded, charged with a TON of offenses, went to court and judge was purposefully as mean as he could be to try to put a scare into me to keep from doing it again. Had to pay over 1k in fines, put on probation, lost my ability to even apply for a license until I was 17.

Second time I got caught I was 16 and someone hit me from behind at a stop light. Not my fault but because I wasn't supposed to be on the road at all, Judge said I was responsible. Vehicle impounded. I had to pay for the damages to the car cause ins wouldn't cover it. Other drivers ins wouldn't cover it cause I was unlicensed. Another 1k+ in fines and now unable to get my license until I'm 18. Parents basically disowned me. Only reason my parents didn't get hit with fines and lose their ins was they said in court they had no idea i had taken the car. SO I had to take the brunt of everything to protect them.

I finally get my license at 18 and I have to pay $600/month just for liability for the next 3 years. 1k/year for 3 years for State Surcharge (on top of $600/month). NO ONE would give me full coverage. I shopped around to even the shady ins guys.

So, take from someone who has been there. Do it right or it can end up costing you ALOT of money for many years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2010, 10:15 AM
14,781 posts, read 41,284,492 times
Reputation: 14588
Well, the best advice is to just contact your insurance company and ask. Most of them work on the basis that you need to declare any LICENSED drivers in the household. The only exception would be if those folks are covered under their own policy. When a permitted driver is driving a car they are essentially driving on the license and insurance of the licensed driver/owner of the car they are in.

If your kid with a permit just took your car then you would be SOL if something happened and would need to declare that they took the car without permission, similar to what RobRiguez's parents had to do. If they are licensed and "borrow" your car they are covered as long as they have permission.

Once your kid is licensed you have two choices. If they don't have their own car, than they need to be listed on your policy so they can drive your cars and have coverage (this is where it is illegal to not list them and just consider them "borrowing" your car, since people in your household always have implied permission). If they have their own car than I would highly recommend registering the car in their name and having them secure their own policy. The primary reason for this is that stuff happens and I would much rather protect my assets from my kids stupid mistakes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2010, 02:48 PM
5 posts, read 13,239 times
Reputation: 11
Is it a drivers learning permit? or a drivers license?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:21 PM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top