Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 06:07 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,736 times

Advertisements

I've been reading alot of responses from people in NC and FL that are having huge difficulties in securing any respectable job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 06:25 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
I've been reading alot of responses from people in NC and FL that are having huge difficulties in securing any respectable job.
Well, you've got to go down there (or anywhere) with skills that are marketable to the business sectors that are present there- otherwise you won't find a "respectable" job. For example, if you go to Charlotte with a banking background or a racing team background, you'll likely do OK. If you go there with 20 years of experience working at an auto assembly plant, you'll probably end up working at Home Depot.

Anyone who spends two years unable to find a job in their chosen field didn't do their research, IMO. If they're complaining about the pay for the jobs in their fields, again, they didn'tdo the research to understand the payscale differences prior to the move. To blame their problems on the area is absurd- the problem is with the person.

Bob

Old 07-18-2007, 07:20 PM

86 posts, read 380,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Well, you've got to go down there (or anywhere) with skills that are marketable to the business sectors that are present there- otherwise you won't find a "respectable" job. For example, if you go to Charlotte with a banking background or a racing team background, you'll likely do OK. If you go there with 20 years of experience working at an auto assembly plant, you'll probably end up working at Home Depot.

Anyone who spends two years unable to find a job in their chosen field didn't do their research, IMO. If they're complaining about the pay for the jobs in their fields, again, they didn'tdo the research to understand the payscale differences prior to the move. To blame their problems on the area is absurd- the problem is with the person.

Bob
I agree as I might be relocating to either the Hartford, CT burbs or the Philadelphia, PA burbs area at this point in my thought process.
But before doing so like you said I would have to investigate and research whether there's jobs in my line of work then find out about the compensation packages.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:46 PM

28 posts, read 102,241 times
It's hard because my family and friends are here. I have no plans as of yet, but it may happen...

Old 07-19-2007, 12:21 PM

162 posts, read 401,136 times
In response to BrianH1970......now that I read it, that part of my post did sound funny...I need to clarify and say I've been looking for another job in NJ for almost 2 years. Luckily, I've been employed all 8+ years I've been here!

Old 07-20-2007, 11:06 AM

88 posts, read 424,237 times
I lived in NC for 4 yrs. in Cary, near Raleigh. It's not a big adjustment from here (Jersey) since there are so many people from this area living there. But if you go to the more rural areas in NC it is a big difference in housing, shopping, entertainment.

Old 07-21-2007, 07:58 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,329,701 times
Please think long and hard. There really isn't any other place like New Jersey and I say that for the good points and the bad points. You will no doubt experience great culture shock.

I was born and raised in NJ. I lived at the Jersey shore and my family goes back to the 1700's in NJ. My husband and I were fed up with what NJ had become-expensive, overrun with illegal aliens and crime, congested, etc. So in 1999, we moved to New Hampshire. If someone would have told me growing up that I would end up moving to another state, I would have never believed it. The Jersey Shore was a great place to grow up before it got overbuilt with all the 55+ homes and 500,000 Mcmansions that only people from NY could afford.

While New Hampshire does have its good points, it is not home. I know a lot of you are in a rush to get out and many of you may move and never miss NJ but think about it long and hard before you do.

People always say NJ people are rude well I am sorry but in New Hampshire they are rude. They never hold a door for you and don't say thank you when you hold the door for them. Every time we go back to NJ, people always hold the door for us.

The food here is absolutely horrible, pizza is awful so are cheese steaks subs etc. The supermarkets are lousy. Thank God they opened a Stop and Shop-it is the closest thing to a NJ supermarket. The beaches stink too.

However, the absolute worst part is that NH is growing. It is being overbuilt, illegal aliens are beating each other with hammers, the legislature passed a ridiculous budget raising some taxes. So it is like we are getting all the bad stuff from NJ without the good stuff. Unfortunately it would be too expensive to move back at this time.

I just suggest thiking long and hard befor making a move. The grass is always greener on the other side.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:02 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,329,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grifter View Post
I moved to Raleigh a year ago, and am now ready to "come back home"! Sometimes you can't appreciate what you have until its gone. For me, the benefits of living in NJ (more job opportunities, my friends, hobbies, etc) outweigh the cost. I was just in NJ for a vacation, and cried when I had to get back in the car to drive back to Raleigh! I will be returning to NJ in early August, though I wish it were tomorrow!

Raleigh is nice - it reminds me of central NJ (without the charm and personality though). Most of the people who live here are from the northeast. Its not for everyone though. If you search through both the NC and NJ forums, you will find all points of views - those who came and love it, those who came and left, and those who came and tolerate it.

If your sole reason for moving is the high cost of living in NJ, make sure you do a lot of research before making the move. The salaries I was offered here were as much as 40%-50% less than I made in NJ - the cost of living here is better, but not that much better!

Whether or not to relocate is a very personal and difficult decision. I wish you the best.

This reminds me of my husband and I . All our vacation time is spent back in NJ. What you said is so true about not appreciating what you have until its gone.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:36 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,409,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
This reminds me of my husband and I . All our vacation time is spent back in NJ. What you said is so true about not appreciating what you have until its gone.
We drove up to Jersey about a month ago and we were in tears on the way back. Each time we go up it solidifies more and more how much we don't want to spend the rest of our lives in NC.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:51 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,409,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post

Bob
That's not true. My story and the story of a woman who works in back contradict that. I came to Charlotte with a banking background and could only get back in because of someone I know. The woman who works in back of me, her husband had 16 years of banking experience. Know what he does now? Drives a limo because that was all he could find. All of that experience and he could NOT get back into his field. With all of her banking and IT experience it took her 8 months to find something but at least she got back in the field. It would shock you how common that story is. Eventually you may do okay but to say likely is untrue, as well as the statement that the problem is with the person. In Charlotte's case so many people are coming down here with banking experience...a field that's now knee deep in the process of outsourcing and offshoring...that it's making the chances of you finding something in a decent amount of time less and less likely.

Trust me...come down here and actually speak with the people about how hard it is to find a job even within your field. It's got little to do with them and more to do with the sheer amount of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey