Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 03:36 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,204,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Trust me...come down here and actually speak with the people about how hard it is to find a job even within your field. It's got little to do with them and more to do with the sheer amount of them.
one simple fact, people should not even consider relocation unless they have a job locked down in the place that they're moving to. It is next to impossible to find decent paying jobs in the south, only move here if you're getting to keep your NY/NJ salary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 04:59 PM

975 posts, read 3,731,602 times
I know--can someone explain the whole move to NC phenomenon to me? Are they going because everyone else is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedawg View Post
I think if you're going because its just cheaper you're making a wrong decision. If you have no interest in NC as a place than I would suggest find someplace where the culture and lifestyle interest you. If its purely because its cheaper I think you're making a mistake. I say be ready to adjust to the place you're at and not try make it like home. Also I don't really understand this fixation on NC. There are 49 other states most of which are cheaper than your current one.

Old 07-21-2007, 05:05 PM

975 posts, read 3,731,602 times
I actually want to move to Florida but I keep being told by everyone (in real life, not on this board) that I should move to Raleigh because they are throwing jobs at people there. I have nothing against NC, it's a beautiful state and I will considerr it of course, but I wonder how much of it is just hype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
I've been reading alot of responses from people in NC and FL that are having huge difficulties in securing any respectable job.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:24 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbadnugly View Post
Yes, my wife and I are currently selling our house as she requested, and finally got, a transfer to Charlotte. We couldn't be more excited for some of the reasons you mentioned. I'll miss my family and friends here, but we have some family and friends down there too. It's a good long-term move for your family. The money we'll save will pay for my kid's education and more. NJ is just getting out of control. Most of the people who live here just don't feel like they have the ability to move because of close ties to family; otherwise, there's very little reason to stay. There's no glory in boasting the 2nd highest cost of living in the U.S. Good luck (and if you know of anyone who wants to move to Clark, NJ, please check out 33 Post Road, Clark, NJ 07066.
Congratulations on moving out. You'll probably find a lot of finanical pressure begin to dissipate. We moved 2 years ago, cut our expenses in half and kept our salaries. We consider ourselves fortunate.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:15 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,368,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
Interesting posts. We are considering leaving NJ, mostly because of the oppressive corporate tax structure and property insurance rates. We have been to many states looking around. NC (Chapel Hill) was top of our list before we went there but after visiting (eek) and doing the math it's off the list entirely. I would advise you to do your COL analysis carefully before making a move.
I moved from Manalapan, NJ to Nashville, Tn. near Brentwood, Tn border.
My husband took a relocation here to main office at the same salary, although it was acually higher because of NO state income tax.
Real Estate taxes are less here also, Car insurance less, Electric less.
I pay less here for 3 cars with an 18 year old driver, than I do for 1 car which my son drives in NJ.
Modern? we have more stores and restaurants per sq mile than NJ.Theater, Symphony orchestra and nothing takes long to get to because of our interstate system. Tolls? What's a toll both.
Restaurants? Southern ones plus every chain you can think of. Pizza? Have that also, Family relocated from Brooklyn and they make better pizza than any place in NJ. You name it, we have it.

Diane in Music City

Old 07-25-2007, 09:19 PM

161 posts, read 559,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post
I actually want to move to Florida but I keep being told by everyone (in real life, not on this board) that I should move to Raleigh because they are throwing jobs at people there.
Oh sure. And the streets here are paved in gold!

Anybody who tells you they are throwing jobs at people has no clue what they are talking about! Raleigh is okay, but it is most definitely not the promised land. Jobs here are difficult to come by!

People are moving to Raleigh in droves, which means there is a lot of competition for jobs. And as BrianH1970 said, there is more outsourcing which means fewer jobs. IBM, for example, is a major employer in Raleigh. They are planning massive layoffs in the near future as they shift all non-sales positions to China and India. All those IBM'ers in Raleigh will be looking for new jobs along with the hundreds and hundreds of people who relocated here without job offers.

Go where you want to go, but just make sure you do a lot of research first, and if possible, spend time there before moving. Don't move to a place based solely on propaganda and false expectations!

Old 07-26-2007, 02:15 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,735,558 times
I'd say if you want to move out, check out the JOB MARKET FIRST before anything else (this means actually apply for jobs in your target locations agressively). Certain skills actually get higher pay in smaller towns than in big cities. You get less competition in small town so employers have to pay extra to get & keep you there.

We moved out of NJ due to high COL and traffic. My work relocated me to Lexington-KY from NJ 2 yrs ago and I've never been happier. We sold our house in NJ and was able to purchase a similar house here at 1/2 the price, free and clear. We live 100% debt free, commute 10 minutes to work everyday, and are able to save more than 50% of our combined income every month. I do miss the ocean and the fresh seafood sometimes, but the amount of money we saved every month has allowed us to go abroad every year, and to take several short vacations to anywhere we wanted domestically. Lexington is actually much better maintained than the town I lived in Central Jersey. We also have tons of activities from free concerts in the park or indoor (from jazz, pop, country, to classical music), farmers market, artists/arts & crafts market every weekend, awesome public library systems, etc. I would NEVER go back to NJ or anywhere else like that.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,509 times
Yes we are trying to move out of state. Watching the real estate and hoping we can sell next year. It's too flat this year (as a seller). We've also identified NC and SC as some strong possibilities. But we are a little nervous about the school reports we've seen (great schools website) and the diversity. So we are still educating ourselves about what areas to move to and poised when the market changes.

Old 07-26-2007, 05:28 PM

183 posts, read 1,134,256 times
I lived in South Jersey all 23 years of my life. I just moved to Ocala, FL to get away from all the negatives of NJ. All the farms there are dissapearing, and MicMansions are all that you find anymore. I love being surrounded by horse farms and the more relaxed way of life that this area offers. Even if it doesn't t end up working out here permenantly, I would never go back to Jersey. I would try other rural areas in this and other states. Your time on Earth is limited. Why waste it all in one place?

Old 07-26-2007, 07:05 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,936,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
I moved from Manalapan, NJ to Nashville, Tn. near Brentwood, Tn border.
My husband took a relocation here to main office at the same salary, although it was acually higher because of NO state income tax.
Real Estate taxes are less here also, Car insurance less, Electric less.
I pay less here for 3 cars with an 18 year old driver, than I do for 1 car which my son drives in NJ.
Modern? we have more stores and restaurants per sq mile than NJ.Theater, Symphony orchestra and nothing takes long to get to because of our interstate system. Tolls? What's a toll both.
Restaurants? Southern ones plus every chain you can think of. Pizza? Have that also, Family relocated from Brooklyn and they make better pizza than any place in NJ. You name it, we have it.

Diane in Music City
We actually drove down to Brentwood a few months back to check it out. Nice place but probably not for us. I can't get my head around all the subdivisions, even though the houses are huge and beautiful. The cost of living difference was huge for all the reasons you mentioned. TN actually offered the biggest cost savings Vs NJ out of all the states we have looked into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey