Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 10:16 PM

28 posts, read 102,241 times

Advertisements

Yea I don't want it to be that big because people come and go so fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 04:51 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
There's always Princeton...

Old 07-19-2007, 06:43 AM

279 posts, read 1,348,204 times
I went to Rutgers-Newark. It's not that big of school, especially when you compare it to the New Brusnwick campus (that is HUGE). Newark is mostly a commuting school and the class sizes aren't that big. The location is ok..Newark is getting better. I was a female going there ..I never parked in the deck (always on the street) and never felt that I was in danger. I would recommend it.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:53 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
So you're basing your decision not to attend NJIT- a highly-rated engineering college- one one kid's depression and an 8-1 male/female ratio? That's pretty stupid, IMO.

Cheating is the norm? So don't do it- there's nothing saying you've got to cheat- and that won't get you very far once you get out into the real world anyway- I know one classmate who "got by" on the tails of other students, and he never got anywhere because it didn't take long for employers to figure out that he was clueless.

I went to NJIT, and I can tell you that in my field especially, the graduates excel relative to the grads from other colleges. I didn't get to where I am today because NJIT was a "depressing" school with no girls. I will admit that Newark wouldn't be on the top of my list for places to live (I commuted), but the education you receive is top-notch if you apply yourself to your studies instead of worrying about getting laid.

Bob

Old 07-19-2007, 08:59 AM

38 posts, read 266,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
So you're basing your decision not to attend NJIT- a highly-rated engineering college- one one kid's depression and an 8-1 male/female ratio? That's pretty stupid, IMO.

Cheating is the norm? So don't do it- there's nothing saying you've got to cheat- and that won't get you very far once you get out into the real world anyway- I know one classmate who "got by" on the tails of other students, and he never got anywhere because it didn't take long for employers to figure out that he was clueless.
Bob
We should always take websites like that with a bit of a grain of salt; mainly because people who are satisfied/content with the school are much less likely to run on the Internet to tell people about it. People who have a complaint or are unhappy are the people more likely to jump on the Net and make people aware of their unhappiness.

Not every school is for everybody, obviously. There's more then enough options in NJ in terms of finding the perfect school for you. And I wouldn't worry about getting a "top job" right out of college; not many people get those. Most good organizations do make you earn your keep.....

Old 07-19-2007, 09:02 AM

244 posts, read 1,050,728 times
TCNJ (or Trenton State) is a fantastic college.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:02 PM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
466 posts, read 2,200,289 times
Default RU - New Brunswick

I am a proud product of RU New Brunswick - yes we had huge classes but it mostly depended on the courses .... for instance if you take a Pyschology or English class it will definitely be packed - try taking a programming or math class and you will see how empty the class will be.

And oh - it is the official New Brunswick downtown party town - you do not have to drive just hop on the school bus go party and hop back on it to your dorm.

Initially I had the choice of either NJIT or RU Newark but I came to find out most of the Comp Sci classes for RU Newark needed to be taken at NJIT so I was like forget it....however one friend went to RU Newark and another NJIT and they always complained about how NJIT students cheat using their textbooks, cellphones and PDA's during exams and nothing gets done even if its reported.

RU New Brunswick I know has a very strict policy during exams you only need your pen, pencil school ID and an eraser - all electronic items, papers, book bags and books are placed in front of the main lecture/stage area - good luck trying to cheat.

All I can say is take a tour of the campuses talk to a few students which I see you have done already - anyways its your choice but make a wise decision..good luck to you...!!!

Old 07-19-2007, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
There's always Princeton...
You're funny...

Rutgers Newark seem to have a lot of female students.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:11 PM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
466 posts, read 2,200,289 times
Quote:

I went to NJIT, and I can tell you that in my field especially, the graduates excel relative to the grads from other colleges. I didn't get to where I am today because NJIT was a "depressing" school with no girls. I will admit that Newark wouldn't be on the top of my list for places to live (I commuted), but the education you receive is top-notch if you apply yourself to your studies instead of worrying about getting laid.

Bob
========

One friend of mine who attended NJIT onced reported to a professor during a final exam that four students in front of him had their textbooks open and were cheating - here is what the professor did he made an announcement to the whole class that he saw a few people cheating and was going to give them a chance to come out themselves or else he would report them to the dean.

Guess what about 80% of the students in the class came forward and all the professor did was have them write an "I am not going to cheat anymore essay" and still got their grades so in my opinion I do not think its fair burning the midnight oil studying to get good grades whiles some other group of kids just want to party all night then expect to cheat to get an A.

NJIT is great for Graduate study but honestly IMO undergrad study over there is a waste of time...anyways just my $0.02

Old 07-19-2007, 01:34 PM

Quote:

Bob
Ok Bob I'm not going after NJIT, but mostly everyone say it's horrible. I'm good at computers, but I'm not a expert and know all sorts of programming languages. They expect you to know these things before you enter the school. It's a really depressing environment and I can't see myself being happy there. The friends I have who will go there know less about computers and programming, they are just going because their parents think it's amazing. People will end up cheating as usual, but that just proves these teacher are not doing a good job. One comment I read had a guy complain that he studied 12 hours for a math exam and everything he studied wasn't on it and he wasn't even sure the professors could even solve the problems. Things like these make people cheat even if they don't want to.

My research about NJIT and I found many sites bashing it.

Quote:
njitsucks.com
cafepress.com/njit.1346022
groups.myspace.com/njitsucks
njitforums.com/board

Last edited by BeyondSoundClash; 07-19-2007 at 02:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey