Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 11:51 AM

131 posts, read 360,602 times

Advertisements

i'm looking to get a new gps. i had the garmin 660 . it was great, then got a 765t and have had nothing but problems with it. i have been told to get a tom tom. i know this is like the age old chevy vs ford. anyone else have problem with the newer garmin's ? how about the tom tom any problems ? what are your thoughts??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 12:39 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,574,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MySkreenName01 View Post
i'm looking to get a new gps. i had the garmin 660 . it was great, then got a 765t and have had nothing but problems with it. i have been told to get a tom tom. i know this is like the age old chevy vs ford. anyone else have problem with the newer garmin's ? how about the tom tom any problems ? what are your thoughts??

My garmin ALWAYS messes up, I hate it. I think it is a 265T. Here are some of the issues I had with it, it loses satellite reception easily especially in city centers, it has tried to have me turn on one way streets, it believes I'm either on a different street than I am on or driving in the water which happens to me a lot because I live next to a bay, it is frequently late telling me turns, and recalculates in the middle of its own route for no reason. Garmin just isn't good to have in Jersey. I have only lived in this state since september and I had to learn the area really fast because the gps gets confused so much. Everytime I go somewhere new my garmin puts me at risk to get lost. I would go to walmart if I was you because you get 15 days to return it so you can try it out. I did that myself and tried a Tom Tom xl 340s, a Magellan roadmate 1440, and some Motorola one. I like the Tom Tom and the Magellan ones a lot. The Tom Tom had better features and was good for where I live because I live in Bayonne and to get to a few places the fastest way is actually go trough Staten Island, but then I will have to pay that $8 NYC toll just to save about 5 minutes so it would route me around it without avoiding tolls so it still would have me take the NJ turnpike. But it does get confused sometimes. I would say it is like 94% accurate. It also had a lot of destinations preloaded in. The Magellan to me was by far the best point A to point B gps. It doesn't have all the little tricks built in like the others, but it was about 98% accurate. It does have a good amount of destinations too, but not as much as garmin or tom tom. But it does show highway street signs unlike the others which really comes in handy and has lane assist. If you don't care about 3d view or bluetooth ability then you will probably like the Magellan. And it was the cheapest. The Motorola I tried completely sucked, I can't say it any nicer. The map was dull, the voice was extremely low to the point where the only way you can hear it is by rolling up the windows and turning the radio off, also it said the names of roads like 5 or 6 times for example route 1&9 truck south tonelle ave it would say "in point 5 miles turn right on us route 1&9 south,US route 1&9 truck south, tonelle ave., south 1/9" and would say that whole thing literally 5 times in a row. I was already through the turn before it would shut up. And it had the nerve to be the most expensive(about 2 times the price of the magellan.). But like I said try some out and see which one you like, just don't forget about it like I did that is how I got stuck with my garmin.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:43 PM

312 posts, read 1,164,225 times
I have have used about 5 diff garmins and have been happy with all of them. If you end up purchasing another one make sure you connect it to your computer to get the latest updates. That might fix any minor problems. Also garmin includes a free map update with new purchases. Right now i'm using the 1490T and love it as it has a 5" screen and also has lane assist. I liked it so much that I purchased a second unit for another vehicle. The 2nd unit was a refurb i found for 199 on amazon. The refurb works just like the brand new unit so I'd definitely recommend a refurb unit for the savings. I should also add that both my vehicles have built in GPS but they suck so bad compared to the garmin system so I use only the garmins.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:49 PM

551 posts, read 1,188,447 times
I had the Garmin - piece of crap! lost signal whenever I went too fast for it or even under a bridge

I have been using Tomtom GO 740 GPS and it is AWESOME, it recalculates on the spot, the signal is rarely lost, it even "estimates" under tunnels or bridges, no complaints with it at all!

Old 04-19-2010, 12:53 PM

555 posts, read 1,654,212 times
I have a Garmin... other than the Traffic feature being incredibly bad... INCREDIBLY bad... it works very well. I get upset that it likes to reroute me around what it sees as traffic through town and waste extra time every now and again but I've had no reception issues and it's been dead on accurate in directions. I would avoid any of the T models though to avoid the traffic feature. Garmin doesn't seem to take into account what stop lights and rush hour traffic do to a 2 lane road even if the speed limit is 45 mph.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:54 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,148,203 times
I have a Garmin and find it to be very quirky. It messes up a lot. Like it will tell me to take an exit on the left, when the exit is actually on the right. Obviously this can be very dangerous having to swerve across 4 lanes to get to the other side of the highway. Sometimes it will give me one route to get from A to B, and then another time I'll be traveling between the exact same points and it will lead me on a different route. I have no idea why there's a difference. The worst was when it led me through downtown Paterson to get to the Parkway even though I was nowhere near Paterson and that was definitely not the quickest route. Also it seems to take a very long time to acquire the satellites - sometimes more than 5 minutes, which is a long time if you really don't know where you're going and have to wait.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:10 PM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times
I am also looking for a GPS, and I am leaning toward Tom-Tom. I have heard they are both good, in fact have heard Garmin is a little better in some ways, BUT I have a big pet peeve about customer service. I don't want to deal with poor customer service if I don't have to. So now before I buy anything I call the companies whose products I'm considering to see how fast I can get through the menu maze and to a real person. Every time I called Garmin, (a few times at all different times and days) I got a recording saying "Your hold time is approximately 45 minutes". Every time I called Tom-Tom, I got a real person within 2 minutes.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:13 PM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I have a Garmin and find it to be very quirky. It messes up a lot. Like it will tell me to take an exit on the left, when the exit is actually on the right. Obviously this can be very dangerous having to swerve across 4 lanes to get to the other side of the highway. Sometimes it will give me one route to get from A to B, and then another time I'll be traveling between the exact same points and it will lead me on a different route. I have no idea why there's a difference. The worst was when it led me through downtown Paterson to get to the Parkway even though I was nowhere near Paterson and that was definitely not the quickest route. Also it seems to take a very long time to acquire the satellites - sometimes more than 5 minutes, which is a long time if you really don't know where you're going and have to wait.
This type of thing is my fear (especially telling you the exit is on the other side of the road, good grief) and why I keep procrastinating...

Old 04-19-2010, 01:16 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
I don't use GPS , i'm a walking , talking Map. Its sad that people who have lived in Jersey so long still don't know how to get around the state ...the Highway system in this state is very simple. As for Address's the GPS's that ive tired seem to always or most of the time get them wrong. Some have even place me on Abandoned Railways.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:22 PM

312 posts, read 1,164,225 times
I haven't had any of these problems with my garmins. Is everyone updating their maps and the software for the unit? NJ roadways are constantly changing. Off ramps get renovated and if your map data is not updated of course it is going to route you the wrong way. The newer garmin units have lane assist and this really helps. It will tell you what lane you should be in to make your exit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey