Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2023, 10:38 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,651,734 times

Advertisements

I know this might be a common response but People who live up there seem to know how to handle the weather and it's just what they deal with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2023, 10:54 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
I know this might be a common response but People who live up there seem to know how to handle the weather and it's just what they deal with.
Exactly. Years ago I read a story about an American who had to go live in Norway for business, and it was winter. He figured what with the dark and cold, he was resigned to the idea that he'd be indoors all the time and not have many opportunities to meet people.

But when he moved into his apartment, which looked out into the main street of the city where he was staying, he saw all his Norwegian neighbors outside watching snowmobile races in the street, so he put on coat and went out, too. While he stood there, a little boy looked at him, and said, "Mister, why aren't you wearing outside clothes?"

He looked around, and everyone else had on ski pants or the all-in-one outfits, boots, hats, gloves, and he was wearing jeans and the coat. The kid's father spoke to him, learned he was American and said, "Here in Norway we have a saying: There is no bad weather, only bad clothing." The guy came to realize that the dark and cold didn't keep the Norwegians inside, and he bought what he needed, dressed like them, and learned to enjoy the outdoors in winter, too.

It's really true. I went outside up there dressed appropriately around 11 pm in -20F, walked down to the edge of the frozen lake and stood looking at the thousands of stars. I became aware of a sound in the distance and realized it was wolves howling. No one else was around, since most of the people on the bay left in October. It was a moment I won't forget.

Old 09-21-2023, 12:37 PM

7,074 posts, read 4,514,055 times
When I lived in Wisconsin I walked 3-4 miles every day. I didn’t walk once it was-25. Yes I had the proper clothing.

Old 09-21-2023, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
When I lived in Wisconsin I walked 3-4 miles every day. I didn’t walk once it was-25. Yes I had the proper clothing.
I found that around 15 degrees it hurts my lungs to inhale. That might have to do with age, though, and previous years of smoking.

Old 09-22-2023, 08:58 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times
I would move back tomorrow if it were affordable. As a renter you need first month, 1.5 month security then add insult to injury forking over one months rent to a realtor for some sloppy photos they placed on line.
Maybe it's me but a full months rent to a realtor is dam near criminal

Old 09-22-2023, 09:25 AM

10,438 posts, read 6,964,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Weather feels different with altitude. 25 degrees in a place like central, NJ is freezing and miserable however in a place like the Poconos, 25 degrees is rather enjoyable.

Old 09-22-2023, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I would move back tomorrow if it were affordable. As a renter you need first month, 1.5 month security then add insult to injury forking over one months rent to a realtor for some sloppy photos they placed on line.
Maybe it's me but a full months rent to a realtor is dam near criminal
Yeah, I always hated that, but that's how it works.

My last rental I found on my own. I know Craigslist can be shady, but I put out my own ad on the Monmouth County site saying I need a two-bedroom apartment for $1400 (this was in 2009) on a month-to-month basis while I searched for a condo of my own, it needed to be in or near a town with a train, and by the way, I have four cats.

I figured it would be easier to do that than to hear NO WAY from a thousand landlords I contacted directly.

I got three offers. Took one. He had four cats, too, and he had a two-family house that he was renovating. It was November, and his brother-in-law was going to move in the following July, so I could have it for nine months Worked out perfectly. I closed on my condo on June 29 that year.

Of course, your situation is different, but if you can find someone directly without the "help" of a Realtor, it would save you a stupid expense.

Old 09-22-2023, 02:36 PM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yeah, I always hated that, but that's how it works.

My last rental I found on my own. I know Craigslist can be shady, but I put out my own ad on the Monmouth County site saying I need a two-bedroom apartment for $1400 (this was in 2009) on a month-to-month basis while I searched for a condo of my own, it needed to be in or near a town with a train, and by the way, I have four cats.

I figured it would be easier to do that than to hear NO WAY from a thousand landlords I contacted directly.

I got three offers. Took one. He had four cats, too, and he had a two-family house that he was renovating. It was November, and his brother-in-law was going to move in the following July, so I could have it for nine months Worked out perfectly. I closed on my condo on June 29 that year.

Of course, your situation is different, but if you can find someone directly without the "help" of a Realtor, it would save you a stupid expense.

I got my apartment in Ocean City through a realtor (it wasn't advertised at all, only listed with one realtor) but I didn't have to pay anything, I assume the landlord paid whatever commission she got.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 09-22-2023 at 02:46 PM..

Old 09-23-2023, 08:07 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I got my apartment in Ocean City through a realtor (it wasn't advertised at all, only listed with one realtor) but I didn't have to pay anything, I assume the landlord paid whatever commission she got.
You got lucky!! Most landlords do not pay the fee, the tenant has to

Old 09-23-2023, 08:49 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,631,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
You got lucky!! Most landlords do not pay the fee, the tenant has to
It depends on the demand for rentals in that particular area. If it’s hard to find tenants, the landlord will pay the fee. I’ve seen the fee be split 50/50 as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey