Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2023, 11:27 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,977,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
I love upstate NY , Upper Hudson Valley+ Columbia County are gorgeous ! I spent alot O time in the Berkshires of Mass and love it up there but the proximity to the Grand kids isn't good.
That’s my problem now, kids, not grandkids. They’re in the city still, so I have to stay close.

I’d like to move to the lower Adirondacks and possibly keep a small shore house in Ocean County.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2023, 01:41 PM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Just suffers from lack of jobs/industry. The state specializes in law, banking, chemistry as the other major cities in states outside have more popular industries.

Its also difficult to build housing in Delaware due with the marshes/flooding due to most the state only being 60ft above sea-level.

So lack of industry for work-force aged people, challenges in building housing, and doesn't have the year-round weather like Florida for retirees even though its a tax-friendly state.
We don't all want that, though. I was ready to move to rural Ontario. LOVED the winter up there. Not sure I'd like it if I had to get up and drive to work in it, but as long as you've got everything you need and a good whole-house generator for when the electricity goes out, the winter was wonderful, just a little long.

I don't mind Florida for a visit now and again, but I would NEVER live there. Used to go a couple of times a year when I had in-laws there. Summer is pure hell. Others love hell. They can have it.

Old 09-14-2023, 01:43 PM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
We will most likely eventually move back to NY, but upstate. My pension is tax free there, a bug consideration when “true” retirement time comes.
That's where I likely will end up. Same deal on the pension. Jersey gives an exclusion, but if you're working part-time, like I am, and make over a certain limit, they come back and tax a portion of it.

Loved living in Ontario lake country, wouldn't mind finding something similar upstate within reach of one of the smaller cities.

Old 09-14-2023, 02:40 PM

Upstate NY is still the most beautiful place in the world to me. I returned Monday morning from a trip to Idaho and Montana. Awesome, but even close.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-14-2023, 08:44 PM

10,484 posts, read 7,014,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
We don't all want that, though. I was ready to move to rural Ontario. LOVED the winter up there. Not sure I'd like it if I had to get up and drive to work in it, but as long as you've got everything you need and a good whole-house generator for when the electricity goes out, the winter was wonderful, just a little long.

I don't mind Florida for a visit now and again, but I would NEVER live there. Used to go a couple of times a year when I had in-laws there. Summer is pure hell. Others love hell. They can have it.
Agreed! Not the largest fan of the souths humidity, and Florida is only good for a visit. Prefer the peacefulness of the outdoors north and west. Montana and Idaho are beautiful and still a kept secret from most of the country.

Old 09-15-2023, 06:00 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,605,988 times
Quote:
Upstate NY is still the most beautiful place in the world to me. I returned Monday morning from a trip to Idaho and Montana. Awesome, but even close.
ehhhh..... I'm looking at a few places in the hudson valley, catskills myself but vs. Idaho? I guess it depends where you were. But the big benefit is being close to home base in NJ.

Old 09-15-2023, 06:04 AM

Where we were, it was wide open expanses or mountains. Don’t get me wrong, I love the west. I lived in Colorado for 4 years. But I need deciduous forests. That’s what puts NY over the top. Nothing beats the changing of the leaves for me.

Old 09-15-2023, 06:19 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,675,028 times
Quote:
Where we were, it was wide open expanses or mountains. Don’t get me wrong, I love the west. I lived in Colorado for 4 years. But I need deciduous forests. That’s what puts NY over the top. Nothing beats the changing of the leaves for me.
I started going to the Berkshires back in the mid 60's and even went to college in Mass . I've been back almost every years since and I'm 67.

Old 09-15-2023, 06:21 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,605,988 times
I do agree that fall in the NE is about as nice as it gets.

Old 09-15-2023, 07:24 PM

4,031 posts, read 3,644,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
I do agree that fall in the NE is about as nice as it gets.

Best place I’ve experienced the fall was in Vermont
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey