Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2023, 03:47 PM

10,438 posts, read 6,964,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
1) no , it's not

2) Not everyone wants "year round weather" as you claim , many still like the seasons.

3) "popular Industries", like what?
I think you like to disagree to just argue with me.

Heres a really good (and entertaining) short youtube video posted 2 days ago which reinforces what i said. "Why so few people live in Delaware".

https://youtu.be/GwErhr9rIdY?si=Dihn1sBMOzObYH8u
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2023, 04:19 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,651,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post

Heres a really good (and entertaining) short youtube video posted 2 days ago which reinforces what i said. "Why so few people live in Delaware".
You know not of what you say!

And it's you who is stalking me.

Delaware has a small population because it's a small State, yes I know you don't want to admit it but that's the reason.

Last edited by G1..; 09-13-2023 at 04:33 PM..

Old 09-13-2023, 06:09 PM

3,422 posts, read 1,837,740 times
I'd move again.

New Jersey sucks.

Old 09-13-2023, 06:54 PM

19,036 posts, read 13,944,967 times
We will most likely eventually move back to NY, but upstate. My pension is tax free there, a bug consideration when “true” retirement time comes.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-14-2023, 07:02 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,751,616 times
Quote:

https://youtu.be/GwErhr9rIdY?si=Dihn1sBMOzObYH8u
I knew you watched the same exact video as I did when I saw your previous post. There are valid points, but the video does also mention that DE has so few residents because it is a small state geographically as well. That is a major factor. In fact, I feel like asking the question at all is kind of misleading. In terms of population density, DE ranks 6th among all states, right behind neighboring MD and ahead both neighboring PA and NY. So, all things considered, it actually punches above its own weight.

Old 09-14-2023, 07:25 AM

961 posts, read 722,061 times
Quote:
Just suffers from lack of jobs/industry. The state specializes in law, banking, chemistry as the other major cities in states outside have more popular industries.

Its also difficult to build housing in Delaware due with the marshes/flooding due to most the state only being 60ft above sea-level.

So lack of industry for work-force aged people, challenges in building housing, and doesn't have the year-round weather like Florida for retirees even though its a tax-friendly state.
Delaware majored in being a tax shelter for shell companies, and minored in Dupont. That's basically their economy, lol. You could say they're the Ireland of the US.

Old 09-14-2023, 08:12 AM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
I knew you watched the same exact video as I did when I saw your previous post. There are valid points, but the video does also mention that DE has so few residents because it is a small state geographically as well. That is a major factor. In fact, I feel like asking the question at all is kind of misleading. In terms of population density, DE ranks 6th among all states, right behind neighboring MD and ahead both neighboring PA and NY. So, all things considered, it actually punches above its own weight.
It's becoming more dense.

https://www.delawarebio.org/news/627...-in-nation.htm

Old 09-14-2023, 08:41 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,751,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
Delaware majored in being a tax shelter for shell companies, and minored in Dupont. That's basically their economy, lol. You could say they're the Ireland of the US.
Pretty much. And beach tourism and “no sales tax” retail convincing people who live nearby in bordering states to make major purchases.

Funny you mention Ireland. Pretty sure DE ranks very high among states in Irish ancestry percentage, including its most famous resident.

Old 09-14-2023, 09:05 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,651,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
We will most likely eventually move back to NY, but upstate. My pension is tax free there, a bug consideration when “true” retirement time comes.
I love upstate NY , Upper Hudson Valley+ Columbia County are gorgeous ! I spent alot O time in the Berkshires of Mass and love it up there but the proximity to the Grand kids isn't good.

Old 09-14-2023, 11:04 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,093,479 times
I grew up in TX and moved to NJ shortly after college graduation. My wife is a Jersey girl (she never really fit in TX) and I had a job opportunity. That was more than 20 years ago. I prefer the Northern NJ. Visited family in TX recently and it only took a few days for me to miss my home in NJ.

New Jersey is so diverse on so many levels which results in many opportunities for work, family, and life. One can move around various parts of NJ the experience is like moving to a different state; South, Shore, North, City, Rural, or Suburban. The area I live in is very family friendly and my children love it here. I'm also frequently in PA to enjoy rural areas and nature. I'm also just over an hour's train ride and bam... I'm in NYC. NJ also ranks high in services offered for children; special needs, education, health, etc. My wife is in education and this is an ideal location for her career as well. I find myself making more friendships as well; views varied but for the most part, people are more tolerant of various different views in part due to the diversity of the state.

Yeah, each state has its problems as well. I could list my grievances against NJ as well... The main challenge for me is the COL and taxation in NJ. We don't need much and we live a very modest/frugal life. I don't think I could retire here though. Simply too expensive.

Last edited by usayit; 09-14-2023 at 11:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey