Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2023, 08:40 AM

20,104 posts, read 9,008,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashacarol View Post
Good luck with wherever you decide to move, I live in NJ also with my husband & daughters. We are considering Delaware, we are doing some research. I have to research the school ratings. They are 11 & 15, so I have to be careful now. I was born and raised in Phila. I do like NJ, but the property taxes can kill you.
I'm in Delaware most of the year. 5BDR, 3.5 BA home, (900Kish), five minute bike ride to the beach, 28 miles from Cape May as the crow flies. Property taxes less than $1800 a year, no sales tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2023, 08:59 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,656,080 times
Why would someone revive a 16 year old thread??? I grew up in NJ and loved it ,plenty of family there but like everywhere things change. Do I miss it, yes sometimes. The Mrs. and I are looking at the Eastern shore of Maryland or a few place's in Delaware once she retires. If I could I would retire to New England , the hell with the south and specially Florida. With grandchildren, there is a need to be within a reasonable distance so we will stay in the mid Atlantic area.

Old 09-13-2023, 09:42 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,634,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
I'm in Delaware most of the year. 5BDR, 3.5 BA home, (900Kish), five minute bike ride to the beach, 28 miles from Cape May as the crow flies. Property taxes less than $1800 a year, no sales tax.
Low property taxes, beach, and no sales tax? What’s the catch? (Serious question)

Old 09-13-2023, 09:48 AM

963 posts, read 723,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Low property taxes, beach, and no sales tax? What’s the catch? (Serious question)
Jobs, I'm guessing. If that (and I'm assuming we're talking Lewes or Rehoboth here) were in commuting distance to Philly it wouldn't be that "cheap". Could do the same exercise for places in NC, SC, GA, FL most likely, though I'm guessing they there may be a sales tax.

Also too far for NYC-area residents to go for weekend beach houses, which is what crushes the shore in NJ.

Old 09-13-2023, 09:52 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,634,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
Jobs, I'm guessing. If that (and I'm assuming we're talking Lewes or Rehoboth here) were in commuting distance to Philly it wouldn't be that "cheap". Could do the same exercise for places in NC, SC, GA, FL most likely, though I'm guessing they there may be a sales tax.

Also too far for NYC-area residents to go for weekend beach houses, which is what crushes the shore in NJ.
I figured jobs also. I was thinking more in terms of life after retirement. Although I have a long way to go before retirement, I can see myself leaving NJ but I don’t think I would want to leave the Northeast. Delaware is somewhere I never considered cause I don’t know much about it.

Old 09-13-2023, 10:52 AM

963 posts, read 723,108 times
Quote:
I figured jobs also. I was thinking more in terms of life after retirement. Although I have a long way to go before retirement, I can see myself leaving NJ but I don’t think I would want to leave the Northeast. Delaware is somewhere I never considered cause I don’t know much about it.
Off topic, but my parents are going through these considerations now (though from New England, not NJ). They want to be near the water and have a milder climate, but are weary of going too far south (entire family in the northeast, too hot/humid in summer). Delaware would actually rank really high on their list (and would be driving distance to me/their grandkids) but is expensive (for them). Going a few states south it starts getting quite a bit cheaper to be near the water, which is tempting. I keep telling them to go for a smaller place or condo, they don't need 3-4 bedrooms any more, but... yeah. Anyway.

Old 09-13-2023, 11:27 AM

10,461 posts, read 6,974,789 times
Quote:
Just suffers from lack of jobs/industry. The state specializes in law, banking, chemistry as the other major cities in states outside have more popular industries.

Its also difficult to build housing in Delaware due with the marshes/flooding due to most the state only being 60ft above sea-level.

So lack of industry for work-force aged people, challenges in building housing, and doesn't have the year-round weather like Florida for retirees even though its a tax-friendly state.

Old 09-13-2023, 12:10 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,656,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Just suffers from lack of jobs/industry. The state specializes in law, banking, chemistry as the other major cities in states outside have more popular industries.

Its also difficult to build housing in Delaware due with the marshes/flooding due to most the state only being 60ft above sea-level.

So lack of industry for work-force aged people, challenges in building housing, and doesn't have the year-round weather like Florida for retirees even though its a tax-friendly state.
1) no , it's not

2) Not everyone wants "year round weather" as you claim , many still like the seasons.

3) "popular Industries", like what?

Old 09-13-2023, 12:50 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,090,538 times
Quote:
The catch might be the quality of schools, lack of jobs, crumbling infrastructure, no public transportation and no services offered by the municipality...

Old 09-13-2023, 03:21 PM

1,057 posts, read 547,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
I can understand not staying in Florida. I has told insurance and taxes have risen there because of the Hurricane's.
I left NJ last July and I feel I picked the perfect place. I moved to Nashville where I went to college over 30 years ago. I should have stayed them but family was in NJ and Long Island NY. I moved knowing my daughter would have to complete her senior year of HS here. It acually worked out great, by graduating from a TN Hs she became eligiable for the Lottery Schlorship @ $4000 a yr. You need to maintain a 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. She had in the Mid 3's in NJ and a 4.0 here for her senior year.Also a State College here is less than half of one in NJ with room and board. When I received her bill with the Schlorship taken out, it looked like a community college bill which did not include room and board.
Taxes are lower here, but we do pay a tax on clothing and food but it makes up for the Low real Estate taxes. There is no state income tax, so check is higher. My husband is working for same company at same salary and his comute is now 25 min instead of the 2 hours it took to get home in rush hour on the bus.
Sure, I lived in Manalapan, NJ an upper middle class area but you would not know it by the family accross the street. I'm sure it was Mafia central. Their kids broke my sons light on his car and ran away.
People are nicer here, Williamson County has high rated schools. I surly belong. I joined the New Neighbors League, Brentwood/Nashville chapter and I have many activities to keep me busy.
My daughter is happy here and can't wait to meet new friends in college. She would love someone from the country as a roomate.
Am I glad 1 year later that I left NJ, yOU Bet I am!!
Tax on food seems like a big catch to me, and it hits lower income people hardest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey