Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2014, 06:09 AM

19,122 posts, read 25,323,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogesh Upadhyaya View Post
Manville bridge is opened now.

The bridge to Manville Main Street from Weston Canal Road is now opened for traffic.
However, everyone should be aware that the county is imminently closing Blackwell Mills Road eastbound, from Van Cleef Road to South Middlebush Road. Since that closure--once again--will eliminate one of the few east-west routes in this part of the county, the traffic on The Manville Causeway is going to be much heavier than it was previously.

For reasons that I cannot fathom, the powers-that-be in Somerset County seem to be hiring construction companies that take FAR longer to complete road and bridge repairs than should be necessary. The Manville Causeway--which is actually a fairly short bridge over the D & R Canal--was out of commission for approximately 4 months. When I took a look at that construction site several times over the past few months, it was obvious that nothing was going on for weeks at a time.

The official word on the closing of Blackwell Mills Road is that the repairs will take "at least 87 days". When you consider that this is a very short stretch of roadway that crosses a tiny stream of water, that length of closure is almost mind-boggling.

I know that they are supposed to hire the lowest bidder, but when the low bidder is going to put a road or bridge out of commission for several months, the resulting traffic congestion and inconvenience to the public makes it clear that spending a bit more money to hire an efficient construction company would be more beneficial to the public than saving a few bucks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 04:32 AM

283 posts, read 667,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
However, everyone should be aware that the county is imminently closing Blackwell Mills Road eastbound, from Van Cleef Road to South Middlebush Road. Since that closure--once again--will eliminate one of the few east-west routes in this part of the county, the traffic on The Manville Causeway is going to be much heavier than it was previously.

For reasons that I cannot fathom, the powers-that-be in Somerset County seem to be hiring construction companies that take FAR longer to complete road and bridge repairs than should be necessary. The Manville Causeway--which is actually a fairly short bridge over the D & R Canal--was out of commission for approximately 4 months. When I took a look at that construction site several times over the past few months, it was obvious that nothing was going on for weeks at a time.

The official word on the closing of Blackwell Mills Road is that the repairs will take "at least 87 days". When you consider that this is a very short stretch of roadway that crosses a tiny stream of water, that length of closure is almost mind-boggling.

I know that they are supposed to hire the lowest bidder, but when the low bidder is going to put a road or bridge out of commission for several months, the resulting traffic congestion and inconvenience to the public makes it clear that spending a bit more money to hire an efficient construction company would be more beneficial to the public than saving a few bucks.

The Manville Causeway bridge is a small bridge and it was closed only to do historical touch to this timber and steel make historical bridge. With $1.7 million project cost, it should not have taken more than few weeks to complete. This bridge was the lifeline for commuters from I-287 exit 12 to Manville/Hillsborough area.

The same thing about Blackwell Mills road, which is used as short-cut by commuters from Somerset and I-287 to reach South Brunswick/Princeton area using Route 1. Now other routes (Veronica Ave/Jersey Ave and Easton Ave/Route 18 South), which are already crowded for going to/from Route 1, will become a nightmare. There will be then increased traffic on South Middlebush Road for people going from Amwell Road to Route 1, after the closure of Blackwell Mills Road.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:37 AM

15 posts, read 24,767 times
Has anyone tried installing solar panels? If so, any idea on the cost? What is the homeowners association policy towards solar panels.

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:57 AM

90 posts, read 152,955 times
Yogesh - I'm not sure if you already posted it but do you have any update on the property tax appeal?

Also, What's up with the house who's constantly parking a trailer on the street at the corner of Willocks & Schenk close to the entrance to the neighborhood? They've forever had a new millennium construction sign outside their house so I'm assuming they might work in the construction business. Either way, the thing is an eyesore and can easily be backed into a garage even if it's used on a daily basis. It needs to go.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:00 AM

90 posts, read 152,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest2014 View Post
Has anyone tried installing solar panels? If so, any idea on the cost? What is the homeowners association policy towards solar panels.

Thanks in advance.
I haven't seen any solar panels in the neighborhood. I'm not sure what the official policy is but you probably would need some sort of official approval. Or you could just go ahead and do it, seems like a lot of people in the neighborhood are not following official rules (fountains, extending front porches, modifying exteriors, etc.). You may want to reconsider though, solar panels are pretty damn ugly and the homes are very energy efficient.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowpail View Post
Yogesh - I'm not sure if you already posted it but do you have any update on the property tax appeal?

Also, What's up with the house who's constantly parking a trailer on the street at the corner of Willocks & Schenk close to the entrance to the neighborhood? They've forever had a new millennium construction sign outside their house so I'm assuming they might work in the construction business. Either way, the thing is an eyesore and can easily be backed into a garage even if it's used on a daily basis. It needs to go.
Snowpail:

I already posted my reply on August 01 as follows:

"Out of about 40 Summerfields residents who attended testimony at Somerset County Tax Court House in Somerville last month, only about 3-4 people got some relief of 15-25%. Everyone's assessed home value is increased by $50,000 for the tax year 2014. On top of it, the tax rate has been increasing each year."

About car parking:

Most of the residents park cars in their property line only. Some use their garage for storage of goods, keep driveway and curbside empty and park in other people's property. Even unnecessarily parking on the road will cause problem for road traffic. People should be sensitive to other people's needs and respect other's property lines.

If anyone finds someone parking in their property, best way is to contact that person directly and explain politely. Mostly it will solve the problem. If not, complain to HOA with details.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest2014 View Post

Thanks in advance.
Guest2014:

Please check with any reputed residential solar panel installer and find out profitability analysis.

It was very attractive few years ago, and people recovered cost in 2-4 yrs, which is not the case now.

Solar panel system is attractive only with Federal and state subsidy and ability to sell excess power generation at higher price to utility. Federal subsidy is 30% of installed cost, which will expire in 2017. State govt. has reduced some subsidies.

The solar panel home owner can sell excess electricity produced, to utility companies, through SREC (Solar Renewable Energy Credits). Current cost of electric power is 11 cents per KWH. SREC, which was once traded at $2,000/ thousand KWH ($2/kWH) was very profitable. Now it is only 15 cent/KWH.

The drop in SREC is due to the fact that PSEG and other utility companies were mandated earlier to get 30% of power from renewable sources earlier. Then they installed their own solar panels. For examples, you see PSEG panels installed on each telephone poles. There are 200,000 solar panels of 0.8 KWH capacity each. Hence they do not need much power from individual homes.

New Jersey SRECs - Flett Exchange

Hence the payback time for installation cost is now 6-8 yrs or more. It is difficult to sell a home with solar panel still on lease, and seller have to practically give away system free. Moreover, as Snowpail has said, the system looks odd (Dow Chemical is coming out with solar roof tiles).

Solar panel is hot in sunny states such as Colorado, Arizona, Nevada, California) where sun is shining for 12 months. However, you can check with any supplier or who has installed. I found none in our development.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:51 AM

Saw some work being done on Rutgers Boulevard (at Summerfields's entrance) for walkway for pedestrians. Hoefully, people will not have walk on the road.

Also saw ZMud Run activity today at 197 Schoolhouse Road (near traffic signal, at the Schoolhouse Road and Weston Canal Road). It is second year of run there, consisting of crossing hurdles through mud.

ZMUD RUN

It is organized by Zarephath Church

Old 08-25-2014, 07:17 AM

22 posts, read 45,933 times
does anyone know if we are going to get signs put up in our entrance like the ones going up for the townhouses/condo/houses?

Old 08-26-2014, 07:46 AM

44 posts, read 113,547 times
Not sure if we've covered this already, but has anyone applied for flood insurance?
Pretty sure we're not in a floodzone but just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey