Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 08:05 AM

2,111 posts, read 7,953,497 times

Advertisements

I recently went more toward a vegetarian diet and I am searching for places to eat including fast food that serve some vegetarian dishes or even veggie burgers. Any suggestions?

I went to Houlihans yesterday and they have a veggie burger and veggie club sandwich on their menu. Burger King has a veggie burger but haven't been there yet to check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 08:10 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,863,665 times
I recently read about this new business opening up....

Organigaya Cafe - Home page (http://organigaya.com/default.aspx - broken link)

Old 05-31-2011, 08:22 AM

19,137 posts, read 25,349,686 times
I strongly recommend Park & Orchard restaurant, located in East Rutherford. While not exclusively vegetarian, their HUGE menu lists many vegetarian entrees as well as overwhelmingly healthy meals of all varieties.

The only thing missing from their menu, as far I recall, is red meat. Those who like chicken, other poultry, fish, and shellfish will find lots to choose from.

Additionally, Park & Orchard has one of the biggest selections of imported beers anywhere, as well as perhaps the longest wine list in the state. For many reasons, you owe it to yourself to try this place.

If I lived closer, I would continue to be a frequent patron!

Edited to add:
A look at their current menu reveals that they do have a small number of Natural Black Angus Beef dishes, but the vast majority of menu items are still vegetarian, or chicken, or fish, or shellfish-based.

Just looking at their dinner menu is making me hungry!
Take a look at:
Dinner - Great Dining in East Rutherford, NJ

Old 05-31-2011, 09:10 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,065,316 times
Indian food.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:06 AM

1,202 posts, read 3,030,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
Indian food.
Fact. All Indian food places have a ton of veggie and vegan options that are tasty. Taste of India in Teaneck is my favorite in the area.

Veggie Heaven is also one of my favorites in North Jersey and they have a few locations Veggie Heaven Restaurants - Asian Vegetarian Cuisine

BK's veggie burgers are just Morningstar Farms patties. Not that there's anything wrong there, it's great they offer an option for vegheads on the go.

Chili's blackbean burgers are very awesome, they'll make any burger combo veg for you. Red Robin also offers Boca Burgers on their menus. Almost all diners and pubs also have a veggie burger option as well.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:10 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,190,344 times
Any mexican, italian, indian, thai or chinese restaurant will have at least a few vegetarian choices. Almost every fast food places like subway, chipotle, taco bell, burger king, baja fresh, etc will have veggie options.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:29 AM

19,137 posts, read 25,349,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaperture View Post
BK's veggie burgers are just Morningstar Farms patties. Not that there's anything wrong there, it's great they offer an option for vegheads on the go.

I have an interesting little anecdote relating to this topic.
Back around 1995, I visited Budapest. Although the food was very good overall, it tended to be...rather heavy and meat-centric. As a result, after a few days of this fare, I thought that a vegetarian interlude would be a good idea.

So...when I looked at the menu board in a Budapest-based Burger King and saw that they listed a "Vegetarian Whopper", I thought that this would be a good luncheon choice. Unfortunately, this proved to be a less-than-filling option as their Vegetarian Whopper utilized the same huge bun that you would get with a regular Whopper, but the only filling was one piece of lettuce, two slices of tomato, and a smear of mayo! No veggie pattie or evidence of any other plant-based food other than the meager lettuce and tomato.

Thinking that they had made a mistake, I went back to the counter to ask where the rest of my sandwich was, only to be informed by the manager that their Vegetarian Whopper was simply a regular Whopper but with the meat missing, and with no added vegetable matter.

Talk about disappointing!
Talk about not enough to eat!

Also--everything that we take for granted in a fast food restaurant was optional at extra cost.
Oh, you want a napkin? That will be 5 Forint (for the thinnest, smallest napkin that I have ever seen).
Ketchup you say? How many do you want, at 10 Forint each?

Old 05-31-2011, 11:05 AM

2,111 posts, read 7,953,497 times
Thanks for all your comments. I do look to ethnic dishes as this is a good source for healthy foods. I am Italian and go with pasta fagoli, eggplant parm, broccoli & cavatelli and more. Recently I came upon Tabouli which I love and make at home. I'm also a big fan of Falafel, but hard to find around here. I'm in the Woodbridge area.

I'm aware of Indian foods and close to Oaktree Rd which has a lot of Indian Restaurants, but unlike Chinese Dishes where you know what's in it, I'm not to familiar with Indian food, and I do a lot of cooking also.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:28 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,940,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
I am Italian and go with pasta fagoli...
I'm not a vegetarian, but do not eat beef or pork. I went to an Italian restaurant this winter and order the pasta fagioli (which is supposed to be meatless). Imagine my surprise when my first bite yielded a chewy piece of meat. I called over the waiter and learned that they put bacon in it! Obviously you can never be sure, so now I ask. As an Italian, I watched my grandmother make pasta fagioli for years and make a pretty mean version myself. Never does it have any meat.

I agree with the above posters that most Asian restaurants offer a wide variety of vegetarian options.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:32 AM

1,202 posts, read 3,030,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
Thanks for all your comments. I do look to ethnic dishes as this is a good source for healthy foods. I am Italian and go with pasta fagoli, eggplant parm, broccoli & cavatelli and more. Recently I came upon Tabouli which I love and make at home. I'm also a big fan of Falafel, but hard to find around here. I'm in the Woodbridge area.

I'm aware of Indian foods and close to Oaktree Rd which has a lot of Indian Restaurants, but unlike Chinese Dishes where you know what's in it, I'm not to familiar with Indian food, and I do a lot of cooking also.
Almost all Indian restaurants I have been to will separate their vegetarian and vegan menu from the meat menu.

Great, now I want Indian food...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey