Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2021, 04:16 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,634,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
I stand corrected... though the "coming soon" banner still hangs in front

I had the Steve's Burger yesterday, it was very good, a great value at their prices (cash only). Wasn't cooked to my specification. Bun is lame. Proper onion rings (beer batter). I give it an A-
Will go again.

The no cash thing irks me a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2021, 04:31 PM

20,104 posts, read 9,008,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
When I first moved to Monmouth Co and found the Windmill, I loved the burgers. They were juicy and thick. Then a friend visited, and I said, "You have to try the burgers at this place" and took her there, and the burgers sucked. They were not the juicy burger I'd had before, but basically small flat dry patties, obviously the frozen type, that you find in a big box in any supermarket.

Never went back.

The first few times, though, I liked them because they reminded me of the burgers at The Fireplace in Paramus. Wonder if it's still there...

Yup! Go to this place if you want a good burger. It's right on 17 and has been there for more than 60 years.

One of the most nostalgic restaurants in Bergen County Home - The Fireplace Restaurant
I usually opted for the hot dogs at the Windmill in the West End. Lived on Sairs Ave for a couple years. Is the Inkwell still around?

Old 01-19-2021, 06:03 PM

88,559 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EANJ View Post
Well, while I had always heard back in the 80's, it was a "drug hangout" so to speak, through the course of the 90's and moving into the early 2000's, it has become a lot more of a shot and beer joint, and sometimes with a pretty hard-core kind of crowd. They separated the so called "dining room" from the bar, and I can certainly understand why, LOL. It can just be a bit of a "rough" crowd sometimes. Other times, not so much. It all depends. Based upon the hit or miss aspect of the crowd, the night, etc. -- I wouldn't send my sister there by herself, nor would I send her with a female friend, just the two of them. But, that's just me.
Always had the separate dining area. It's a designated historical landmark, so they couldn't do a lot to it. It's a genuine Dutch house--a prime example of the 18th century red sandstone house common to NW Bergen County.

When I was going there, the owner had died fairly recently, leaving a wife and 12-year-old son. Everyone thought the widow would sell, but she didn't. She came in every so often, changed the curtains and tablecloths with the seasons, and paid others to run the place while she raised her son and put him through college. Then he came in to take over and brought it to a respectable level.

I was there when he was still a college student, and it was the 80s, and it definitely was a drug hangout. It's where you went to score blow. You'd be looking for one of three or four regular dealers to be sitting at the bar. Lots of drama, people having affairs, drinking, drugs, gambling. Watching Jeopardy every night at 7 waiting for whoever had the blow to arrive. Good times. But I always got up and caught that train the next day no matter what. Half the people I knew there then are dead now, but I'm collecting my pension. Of course, I haven't touched the white powder in decades. No rehab or drama. I grew up. Others didn't.

To look back through the eyes of people not in that world, it might sound awful, but it was really a lot of fun.

And damn, they made a good burger.

Old 01-21-2021, 07:15 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,656,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
I usually opted for the hot dogs at the Windmill in the West End. Lived on Sairs Ave for a couple years. Is the Inkwell still around?
It was before COVID is the best answer I can give you.

Old 01-21-2021, 09:45 AM

88,559 posts, read 84,738,350 times
^It was still there last year, yes. I've never been, but when my adult daughter stayed with me for a few months, she loved the place.

Old 01-21-2021, 04:34 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,014 times
Shake Shack

Old 01-21-2021, 09:55 PM

32,928 posts, read 36,335,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Shake Shack
Why? Elevation was OK, and Zin has, had, excellent, juicy burgers with a lot of topping options. I see that they've trimmed a few of the cheeses and extras from the old menu.

Old 01-22-2021, 05:47 AM

6,432 posts, read 3,137,370 times
Although I've lived most of my life in western NY, due to my father's employer transferring him a couple of times, when I was young, I was born in Perth Amboy, and up until recently, had some relatives still living there. In years gone by, we returned for a visit, several times, and I remember at one point, probably in the mid-80s, going to a Stewart's "drive-in", where we had a good burger, and a frosted mug of root beer. In fact, I bought a couple of those mugs as mementos, and still have them.

Are those Stewart's restaurants still around?

Old 01-22-2021, 08:31 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,634,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Although I've lived most of my life in western NY, due to my father's employer transferring him a couple of times, when I was young, I was born in Perth Amboy, and up until recently, had some relatives still living there. In years gone by, we returned for a visit, several times, and I remember at one point, probably in the mid-80s, going to a Stewart's "drive-in", where we had a good burger, and a frosted mug of root beer. In fact, I bought a couple of those mugs as mementos, and still have them.

Are those Stewart's restaurants still around?

I went to Stewart’s in Long Branch for the first and last time last summer. I’m not exaggerating when I say it’s got to be one of the worst burgers I’ve ever had. Reminds me of burgers from the cafetería in elementary school.

Old 01-22-2021, 11:19 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Why? Elevation was OK, and Zin has, had, excellent, juicy burgers with a lot of topping options. I see that they've trimmed a few of the cheeses and extras from the old menu.

Its just awesome. Awesome sauce
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey