Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 08:25 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,711,708 times

Advertisements

It was announced today that Christie has given the go ahead to implement medical marijuana distribution and use in NJ. His earlier issue with it was related to the possibility that people from users to even state employees could be prosecuted by the Federal government. His concerns stemmed from the waffling position the Fed has taken regarding state medical marijuana laws. Initially they said they would ignore them and then later reversed that position and said that anyone engaged in the activity could be prosecuted, even state employees who oversaw the programs.

Christie did not get a definitive affirmation that people conforming to and administering the state law wouldn't be prosecuted, but he is confident that the Fed will not pursue cases against people conforming to state laws.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/20/ny...stie-says.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 02:45 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,599,332 times
Isn't it true though only Rutgers will be able to grow the marijuana and a small number of hospitals will be able to dispense the drug?

Old 07-20-2011, 03:22 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,596,404 times
I think Rutgers was mentioned, but that was a while ago. This is NJ so probably some of his high $ buddies will get the nod to grow the stuff and he will get the campaign contributions.
I bet there will be a lot of people wondering if they can become quality control testers for the weed

Old 07-20-2011, 08:11 PM

147 posts, read 389,841 times
It's a drop in the bucket. Patients suffering from chronic pain still have to jump through all kinds of hoops to qualify, and they could still get prosecuted by the DEA. These worthless parasites have to do something to justify their existence. Wonder why the country is in such debt? Wasting money on controlling what people put into their own bodies is one reason. Drugs should have been legalized years ago. Criminalizing them just makes the situation worse, the same as alcohol prohibition did.

The government is full of such agencies that lobby for laws to help themselves to our tax dollars.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:31 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,773,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
I think Rutgers was mentioned, but that was a while ago. This is NJ so probably some of his high $ buddies will get the nod to grow the stuff and he will get the campaign contributions.
I bet there will be a lot of people wondering if they can become quality control testers for the weed
Christie initially wanted Rutgers to grow the weed, but after several delays and Christie insinuating that workers for people running the grow operations may be federally prosecuted for drug manufacturing crimes, Rutgers decided against it.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:35 AM

50,828 posts, read 36,538,623 times
They interviewed a lady down this way with ALS (Lou Gehrigs disease). She qualifies, but has to go all the way to Camden to get it. Many of the people who qualify for it are unable to drive, so I wish they had been less restrictive with providers and allowed more places to get it, but I guess it's a good start. What the heck is wrong with the feds though, aren't there more pressing issues than busting medical marijuana dealers???

Old 07-21-2011, 07:26 AM

I personally support the legalization of marijuana even though I don't personally use it (tried it, not a fan, lol), but I also think Christie was taking a good approach in feeling out exactly what the risks were. The Fed has said that anyone involved in such operations may be prosecuted, including state employees who oversee the program. I think he wanted to get a little assurance they wouldn't be overly interested in NJ's program.

Yes, the program is restrictive, but states with less restrictive programs have drawn Federal attention. Making it restrictive helps it stay under the radar so to speak. Hopefully this serves as a first step and the program can be revised and expanded as everyone gets a feel for it. It would sure as heck be a nice boon to NJ farmers, lol.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:45 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,616,724 times
Christie doesn't like teachers or schools, and has made his position on gay marriage crystal clear. But medical marijuana gets his nod of approval. I must say, I don't think New York's Governor Andrew Cuomo is the biggest bargain in the store...but I'm glad we've got him and not Christie.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:39 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,090,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Christie doesn't like teachers or schools, and has made his position on gay marriage crystal clear. But medical marijuana gets his nod of approval. I must say, I don't think New York's Governor Andrew Cuomo is the biggest bargain in the store...but I'm glad we've got him and not Christie.
I'm sorry you feel that way, I missed the memo when he said "I don't like school teachers".

His position on that has nothing to do with how he personally feels about them, please.

I'm for it. For people with terminal illnesses, and if it helps them, good for them. In reality, its really not that big of an issue. There are far more serious problems then a terminally ill person wishing to ease their issues.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Little correction...

He has no issues with teachers, just their union and their pension/benefit plans that they so vehemently defended.

He has nothing against schools, he just really doesn't want to throw even more money down the sinkholes that are our Abbott districts and was opposed to the Supreme Court forcing him to do so.

He is against use of the word "marriage", but the state of NJ was about 3 years ahead of NY on extending equal rights and benefits under the law to same sex couples through civil unions within the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: