Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 11:12 PM

6 posts, read 9,510 times

Advertisements

Hi, I really wanted to live in New York City and was wondering if someone could give me some advice on what to do.
These are the state income taxes that I would pay living in different areas.

New Jersey:$1270
New York State: $3028
New York City: $5290
Chicago: $1500

I am leaning towards New Jersey because it has the lowest state income rate for me. I am also very young and would like to have quick access to the city without having to pay high rent/tax rates. My monthly budget is around 800-1000

Could any one recommend any cheap/safe areas of New Jersey that aren't too far from New York City. Or any alternative ideas to achieve my goal. I want to solely rely on public transportation. I don't have to commute to the office because my boss allows me to work from home. I am also single.

Thanks.

Last edited by delsol560; 07-24-2011 at 11:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 07:02 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,630,573 times
This area is becoming a scarier and scarier place, why not move to Tulsa OK or Nashville or somewhere more pleasant like that? But to answer u for ur purpose, Bayonne or Jersey City is where u want, I would seek a flexible lease like month to month though.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:04 AM

Most landlords want stuff like water bills and electricity bills. But I have never had any bills before, so what do I do? Also, is it hard to get back a deposit? If I keep the apartment completely clean, will the landlord give me my money back or do they just put a deposit on to make extra money?

Old 07-25-2011, 11:05 AM

13 posts, read 47,211 times
I've been renting in Hoboken for a while- I have always gotten deposits back promptly. Just keep the apartment relatively clean and don't break anything!

You would easily be able to afford a place in Hoboken/Jersey City at your budget if you were willing to have a roommate, and you'd be very close to the city. These towns have an urban feel.

If you want somethign more suburban, try Secaucus, Rutherford, Milburn or Summit- still probably affordable with a roommate in a rental apt.

You could try looking at the websites for the PATH and NJ Transit as well and see what towns you like that are train-accessible.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:00 PM

Thanks for the great answer hob! Is Jersey City relatively safe? Also, I will be researching your other suggestions. Thanks again! =)

Old 07-25-2011, 02:47 PM

13 posts, read 47,211 times
In my opinion, downtown Jersey City is safe. It can also be very expensive, but there are some reasonable apartments near Grove Street, in older buildings. Lots of great restaurants and bars around there, and you would be near the waterfront and PATH.

Parts of Jersey City Heights, which overlook Hoboken, are also nice, quiet and safe. Here you'd probably need a bus into the city- there is a commercial strip with a lot of Hispanic and Indian stores.

I've also heard good things about Society Hill (a gated apartment complex) which I think is near Route 440. There you'd also need a bus, but would be near a lot of big-box stores (Staples, Home Depot, Marshalls, etc.)

The other neighborhoods seem iffy to me- you'd have to visit them and see how you felt.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:00 AM

303 posts, read 752,571 times
Honest opinion..MOVE THE *** TO ny if you want ny..period. GTFO we dont need more wanna be's like you here. IF your focus will be on another city dont move here

Old 07-27-2011, 08:10 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,588,795 times
NYC is no place to live. Too high pressure, most people like to escape back to NJ when the day is done.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC1990 View Post
Honest opinion..MOVE THE *** TO ny if you want ny..period. GTFO we dont need more wanna be's like you here. IF your focus will be on another city dont move here
You are probably right. But the only reason, I would choose New Jersey over Brooklyn is to save 4000 a year on taxes. If the tax rates were about the same I would choose Brooklyn hands down.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:55 AM

107 posts, read 221,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC1990 View Post
Whether you like it or not, because of the geographic and demographic layouts, the culture of them, and so on, Hudson County and major portions of Bergen, Essex and Union counties are part of Metro New York City, comparable to Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx and Staten Island.

I also moved here because I wanted to live in Metro NYC--and that's where I live. I ended up in JC because that was the first place I found an affordable apartment, without a yearly lease, where the guy would rent it to me long distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey