Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 07:57 AM

19,141 posts, read 25,356,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas0814 View Post
I'm sure there are others out there, they just haven't found the thread yet. I'll wait because I know i'm not alone.

I hope that you don't hold your breath while you are waiting.
We need to preserve those who provide comic relief on this site!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 09:05 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,100,785 times
I've had pretty good service from them, and FYI, they're the ticket guys, not the conductor, not the same thing (the conductor drives the train - unless I have my nomenclature confused)

a couple of times they've waived the $5 fee for nto buying ticket at machine before hand, have helped me with times/stops, and have honored the wrong tickets when they're the same money. Not a LOT of this, I don't commute, but it's happened a few times.

Like the other day, we were going to the pizza place in Montvale. Dad took forever to come, so when I went to the train station (they drove and I took the train cause I like it) I had to jump on the train without a ticket. Guy was going to charge me the $5 extra, and I was like, I'm sorry, this guys wasn't coming so when I got to the station the train was just coming, etc. and then he took his money out and then changed his mind and charged me only the $2 base fee

Coming from NYC after a family dim sum trip, we missed the bergen/main line we were shooting for, so we asked the guy, and he says this train is also going to Glen Rock (we parked in Glen Rock), and he made a point of warning us that the other train would stop two blocks away in Glen Rock, as did another guy later collecting the tickets, but they dif help us by telling us that that train would be going to Glen Rock, saving us the wait of waiting for the Bergen Line instead of the Main

things like that

Old 10-21-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuttree View Post
I've had pretty good service from them, and FYI, they're the ticket guys, not the conductor, not the same thing (the conductor drives the train - unless I have my nomenclature confused)
You do have your nomenclature confused.
The person driving the train is the engineer.
The people taking tickets are the conductors.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:53 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,031,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
You do have your nomenclature confused.
The person driving the train is the engineer.
The people taking tickets are the conductors.
Yep, and the conductors do more than just take tickets. Understandable confusion though, I always see engineers referred to as conductors in the news and TV and such.

On that note though, I've never known NJT conductors to act in that manner. I'm not saying there could be a few bad apples, as there is in any bunch. But c'mon. Get over yourself princess, pay more attention to where you're going and quit blaming your own slips and falls on what you seem to perceive as people there to serve you in any way you see fit.

And thanks for posting that vid Nexis, haven't seen that one in a bit. I love how the conductor handles that lady!

Old 10-21-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaperture View Post
And thanks for posting that vid Nexis, haven't seen that one in a bit. I love how the conductor handles that lady!

That crazy woman is NOT a lady.
A lady is a female person of impeccable breeding and manners, and that crazy, apparently profane woman clearly does not possess those characteristics.

Why do so many people incorrectly refer to all women as "ladies", but yet, they don't refer to all men as "gentlemen"?

Old 10-21-2011, 11:07 PM

the conductor is out of line on the video. Cussing is not and can not reasonably banned, given that the transit systems are public property. First amendment and all, especially on my own property - again, public property. As long as my tax money goes to them they can't be psycho prudes. You want that stuff, go move down south with the squeal-like-a-piggy-ers, where they don't respect your free speech even when you're not in public. Only actual disruptive behavior can be banned, and another passenger's complaint can't be taken as proof of fact as disruption, especially when the complaint is on the cussing only.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:10 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,191,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas0814 View Post
I'm sure there are others out there, they just haven't found the thread yet. I'll wait because I know i'm not alone.
most conductors are good but there are a few who are nasty. this one particular conductor on Northeast Corridor is always rude to almost everyone. but like any other case, you will find both good and bad people in any profession.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:13 PM

if these things as the OP has described have happened, then they are an issue. Our tax money goes to these systems, and the systems are public property. The various authorities may own titles on the locomotives and cars and other stuff, but the lines are public property, and anyway our tax money goes to them. The transit systems are a public service, and so we should get some service out of them.

You wouldn't see crappy treatment of customers if the trains were private carriers, on top of them being cheaper, and there'd be many more lines going all over the place, Freehold, Hackensack to Hawthorne, etc. But for no good reason our governments turned them into government-run things and started sucking our tax money, so those SOB's better give us some damned service.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:50 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,866,231 times
Quote:
if these things as the OP has described have happened, then they are an issue. Our tax money goes to these systems, and the systems are public property. The various authorities may own titles on the locomotives and cars and other stuff, but the lines are public property, and anyway our tax money goes to them. The transit systems are a public service, and so we should get some service out of them.

You wouldn't see crappy treatment of customers if the trains were private carriers, on top of them being cheaper, and there'd be many more lines going all over the place, Freehold, Hackensack to Hawthorne, etc. But for no good reason our governments turned them into government-run things and started sucking our tax money, so those SOB's better give us some damned service.
That is so not true , Private wouldn't bring anything better then Public. LOL , the Govt ruined the Private Railroad industry , just like its ruining the Postal industry... I doubt that anything large will come back due to the Govt's wacky rules and restrictions.... If we invested more in Rail like our European cousins we could have Railways once again running all over the place. In the OP's case , she seems to have some issues with keeping track of her personal belongings and in the Conductor gave her a break and she still reported him....

Old 10-21-2011, 11:57 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,866,231 times
Quote:
the conductor is out of line on the video. Cussing is not and can not reasonably banned, given that the transit systems are public property. First amendment and all, especially on my own property - again, public property. As long as my tax money goes to them they can't be psycho prudes. You want that stuff, go move down south with the squeal-like-a-piggy-ers, where they don't respect your free speech even when you're not in public. Only actual disruptive behavior can be banned, and another passenger's complaint can't be taken as proof of fact as disruption, especially when the complaint is on the cussing only.
Actually there are rules on the train , there common courtesy rules and if you violate them you can be thrown off the train or arrested. The other passengers complained to the conductor and she took action. It was probably getting to the point of where a fight was about to occur which often happens. Cursing and causing a scene in a close space such as a train is called Disorderly conduct....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey