Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2013, 10:02 AM

912 posts, read 2,446,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
Ten of billions huh, I think you overstated the South Jersey shore impact on the economy. In 2010, the entire economy of New jersey was estimated to be 487 billion. With a population of 8.7 million, that gives us roughly a GNP of 56k per person, but only 158,000 people live on barrier islands in all of NJ, that gives the shore towns about a 8.8 billion (of less than half that amount for just south Jersey Shores) That considerably less then tens of billions a year. As for a few truckloads of of sand, NJ Budgets 25 million dollars a year to spend on shore replenishment projects. If we tax the 8.8 billion at 7% sales tax rate, we get about 600 million in tax revue earned from those towns, so about 4% of the states money to funneled back into the shore's beach replenishment projects. While it don't sound like a lot, that money can be be better spent elsewhere.

Personally I think it's a complete waste of money, why should my tax dollars be used to allow some wealthy ass who wants to live on land the ocean is washing every day? You could point out that they are funding there own beach replenishment projects with the tax revue they generate, but state taxes are put into one big pot and used for the greater good, not to only benefit the people the money was earned from (after all NJ only gets back 65 cents of every federal dollar we pay). The same goes for people moving along the rivers in North Jersey. If you house floods every time it rains. MOVE!

Your entire argument is fatally flawed because: A) You're only counting those who live on barrier islands. There are 576,000 residents in Ocean County alone. B) You're only counting income tax revenue and not sales tax revenue, which accounts for said billions. Go back and crunch some more numbers, fella.

Here's one for you to get started with: Tourism produces $38 billion in revenue for NJ. 70% of that originates in three counties. Guess which ones...

Last edited by TheGambler; 01-01-2013 at 10:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 04:29 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,271,403 times
Talking LBI vs Sandy ??? and Ocean City, NJ vs Sandy ???

Hope some of you can help me out...

Some family members & I went to LBI for the very first time this past August. We stayed with some friends that go there every year for 3 weeks at a time & rent a house 2 blocks from Brant Beach. We were on the corner of Paulding (I think that was the name of the street) & LB Blvd. We were right on the the east corner of Long Beach Blvd.We had a GREAT time. When Sandy hit we were so sad for everyone we had met that were so nice to us and all the other people & families that were effected by Sandy.
We saw so much damage & destruction on tv, and I know it must of been so much worse than what we saw.
Seemed like the media showed more about NY than NJ.

I don't know what any of you could tell me, but I was wondering if I mentioned a few places could you tell me how bad it was/ and still is ?

The house we stayed in was 2 blocks from the beach, how high did the water go ?
The Pottery Barge in Ship Bottom, NJ ?
There was a restaurant on the east side of Long Beach Blvd called "the chicken or the egg" is it still there ?
Antique store..east side of LB Blvd, in Beach Haven... "Wizard of Odds" ? Still there ?
We shopped... I don't remember the name of the 'mall' it was all outside 2 or 3 floor mall. It was all framed in wood.It was in Beach Haven also. Is it still there ?

We drove a distance to the Discovery Shell Museum" in Ocean City. Had to bring home some shells for the shell lovers in the family. Do you know if this was hit hard by Sandy ?
The little town of Ocean City we were in.... we ate at the "Salads & More at the shore" 1123 Asbury Ave. That little place was GREAT. Had the best wraps. The employees were so nice. We said when we come back to Ocean City, NJ, we have to go back there. That's how good it was.
Does anyone know how bad the Boardwalk was hit in Ocean City ? Was it destroyed ?
One more thing .... every street we traveled on in Ocean City...Every house was just beautiful. It reminded us of a movie set. Every house bad Sandy hit this cute little city ?

Thank you everyone... for helping me out and answering my questions.
We really enjoyed NJ. It was so beautiful. I know the parts that were destroyed by Sandy will be beautiful again. It may take some time, but it will be again.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:52 AM

50,808 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Ocean City had some damage, but the boardwalk was not damaged at all, nor most houses. Many had flooding but are probably already back to normal or getting there. The stores on Asbury all flooded, and some are still closed but all will be open by spring. Wawa on West is still closed but expected to be opened by the end of the month.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:17 PM

391 posts, read 840,980 times
This is why people hate congress.... wow Christie has balls... I like him! lol.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:47 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
my mom will be going to her lbi house for the first time on friday. she has gotten very mentally weak as she has aged. i hope its ok over there (she did have people working in the meantime so im hoping things look good) because i dont want a hysterical crying phone call.

i heard peter king on the radio this morning and he was saying that within 10 days of katrina they had signed off on $100 billion to go towards it and that so far nothing for our area has been signed off on.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:17 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,077,463 times
The states affected voted for Obama. Sounds personal for Boner.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:22 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
i'm going to lbi the weekend of the 11th, i'll report back. my understanding is Ship Bottom escaped relatively unscathed (where I'm staying was not affected at all). a lot of businesses are closed for the season anyway so it's hard to know what's destroyed and won't be reopened, etc - i know the CHEGG will reopen in the spring. there are bunches of places that are open - daddyo, robertos, raimandos, planatation, tuckers, buckelews, greenhouse for instance. holgate from what i know is decimated.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:24 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
The states affected voted for Obama. Sounds personal for Boner.
he needs to be replaced as speaker of the house. he has been a huge embarrassment. hopefully we can get a tea party republican to take control and make sure that if we dont pass bad legislation even if it means risking angering people.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:40 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,077,463 times
The Tea Party IS the problem! Boner has to kowtow to them first before deciding to do anything. If Republicans have any sense at all they'll abandon the Tea Baggers

Old 01-02-2013, 01:46 PM

188 posts, read 190,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
The Tea Party IS the problem! Boner has to kowtow to them first before deciding to do anything. If Republicans have any sense at all they'll abandon the Tea Baggers
But how can the Republicans abandon the Teabaggers when the same billionaire donors fund them both?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey