Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2013, 10:28 AM

88,610 posts, read 84,857,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
After 82 pages of discussion,a few tangents are to be expected.

Feel free to kick-start your worthy interest here or in a new topic.
Saw on the news last night that Belmar has raised enough money by selling "boards" to start work on construction of their new boardwalk, and that it will be ready by summer.

Unfortunately, my favorite spot, Long Branch, won't have their boardwalk replaced until 2014.

I'd gone to West End a few days after the storm and saw the damaged "Moss Mile" boardwalk then (and shingles and siding ripped from nearby buildings) but then last month, driving down Ocean Ave., I saw a lot piled high with debris. We wondered what it was, and then I saw it in the paper--it was the remains of the boardwalk, ripped up and piled in that lot to be taken away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 10:28 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,078,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Obviously you never read "Atlas Shrugged", if you find that to be a contradiction. Not that I blame you; it's a doorstopper.
Alisa Rosenbaum was a mental case. It's like following the rantings of Charles Manson, but with a more selfish world-view and less blood.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:30 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,047,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobd04 View Post
First off, with all due respect, what a load of hooey.

I have a good understanding of economics and it is based in and proven by history. When wealth is spread among the many the economy thrives. When wealth is concentrated among the few the economy fails, as proven during the Great Depression and the Great Bush Depression, both economic collapses that just happened to coincide with the greatest concentrations of wealth in the fewest hands.

Do you claim to have a good understanding of economics? Yet you lump FDR in with Hoover and Clinton with Bush? Hoover whose policies of austerity deepened the Great Depression and FDR whose policies began to lift America out of it until conservatives in his own administration once again called for austerity that dropped the nation back into depression? And Clinton whose policies led to the largest increase in jobs in history, a balanced federal budget and a surplus that had the nation on the way to actually paying off the national debt until Bush was appointed president by the USSC and immediately used his position to empty the Treasury surplus into his contributors' pockets through implementing tax cuts that are still to this day the largest component of the deficit?
Your arguments, if I can charitably characterize them as such, are all wet, and are based on emotion, not Reason. Not Logic. Not even rudimentary powers of obsevation and deduction. I am not going to educate you in the Sandy thread, and frankly I don't think it's possible in any thread. Plus, I don't have the patience or the time. You believe in collectivism, tyranny, and redistribution, and that's that. We'll agree to disagree.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:42 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
my mother visited the LBI house in holgate friday. she said that she estimates her total cost to fix and replace what was lost to be around $5-10k. she mentioned that the houses on the ocean in holgate will pretty much all need to be demolished. also, the houses closest to the water across long beach blvd had heavy damage or total destruction. it seems like the houses by the bay side were generally ok (hers is by the bay). there was even a house near hers that had floated about 2000 feet, it seems they were very lucky it didnt run into someone's house.

im concerned about the businesses. i feel like every summer there are many businesses that always are teetering on closing. there just isnt enough time for them all to earn a living. i worry that this type of thing will cause many of them to take the insurance money and close shop.

one positive is that the beachfront in holgate and probably other places will end up with more attractive and more durable houses in the future. those houses on the beach are million dollar houses but they often are old and ugly looking.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 01-07-2013 at 12:55 PM..

Old 01-08-2013, 07:28 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,116,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Saw on the news last night that Belmar has raised enough money by selling "boards" to start work on construction of their new boardwalk, and that it will be ready by summer.

Unfortunately, my favorite spot, Long Branch, won't have their boardwalk replaced until 2014.

I'd gone to West End a few days after the storm and saw the damaged "Moss Mile" boardwalk then (and shingles and siding ripped from nearby buildings) but then last month, driving down Ocean Ave., I saw a lot piled high with debris. We wondered what it was, and then I saw it in the paper--it was the remains of the boardwalk, ripped up and piled in that lot to be taken away.
Yay for Belmar. What a great way to get some of the costs paid for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
my mother visited the LBI house in holgate friday. she said that she estimates her total cost to fix and replace what was lost to be around $5-10k. she mentioned that the houses on the ocean in holgate will pretty much all need to be demolished. also, the houses closest to the water across long beach blvd had heavy damage or total destruction. it seems like the houses by the bay side were generally ok (hers is by the bay). there was even a house near hers that had floated about 2000 feet, it seems they were very lucky it didnt run into someone's house.

im concerned about the businesses. i feel like every summer there are many businesses that always are teetering on closing. there just isnt enough time for them all to earn a living. i worry that this type of thing will cause many of them to take the insurance money and close shop.

one positive is that the beachfront in holgate and probably other places will end up with more attractive and more durable houses in the future. those houses on the beach are million dollar houses but they often are old and ugly looking.
A few years ago I saw a TV show or story on the net about storm-resistant houses and there was one built in jersey specifically to withstand a hurricane. It was cement and round and also had an opening in the first floor for flood waters to pass through. I've looked for the pictures about that house and haven't found it. The concept is that high winds and/or a wall of water hitting a round house just get funneled around it, thereby not doing damage by not creating resistance; it's the hitting a wall that causes the damage. It makes sense to me - after all, most round lighthouses are still standing with minimal damage hundreds of years after being built and those are clearly in the path of danger.

the house that was featured was actually built in Jersey along the shore - I'd love to see how well it fared during Sandy.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:02 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,983,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
A few years ago I saw a TV show or story on the net about storm-resistant houses and there was one built in jersey specifically to withstand a hurricane. It was cement and round and also had an opening in the first floor for flood waters to pass through. I've looked for the pictures about that house and haven't found it. The concept is that high winds and/or a wall of water hitting a round house just get funneled around it, thereby not doing damage by not creating resistance; it's the hitting a wall that causes the damage. It makes sense to me - after all, most round lighthouses are still standing with minimal damage hundreds of years after being built and those are clearly in the path of danger.

the house that was featured was actually built in Jersey along the shore - I'd love to see how well it fared during Sandy.
Not the house you mentioned, but this one had impressive results:

Miracle house of Superstorm Sandy: How one home was left standing thanks to its clever design - NY Daily News

Old 01-08-2013, 09:41 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Yay for Belmar. What a great way to get some of the costs paid for.

ive heard about the round home thing. i vaguely recall a story of some guy with a house like that whose house was still up and all his neighbors homes were destroyed. could be some kind of urban legend but im sure it would work out if people built homes for the storms. my guess is the rebuilt homes after sandy will include many adjustments for the weather.

my wife grew up in puerto rico. they have more hurricanes so they are built for them. they make homes out of reinforced concrete. i believe they have to open windows during the storm depending on where its coming from, i guess that comes from experience. but they dont lose their homes, just their power. they may lose a home if the flooding is so high, and sometimes the flooding never goes back.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:53 PM

41 posts, read 214,010 times
Quote:
so there is some more water on the ground, boo hoo
Quote:
so is it time to start saying "we dodged a bullet" and me to start saying "i told you so" yet?
Quote:
oh yeah???? we now have radar that can see into the future???? its 19:45 UTC which is 3:45 Eastern according to google.
Quote:
so this is the level of hysteria for some flooding in places on the coast that flood regularly during rainstorms?
Quote:
im sorry dbclancy, its almost a total loss. remember in the movie independence day when the alien space ship opened up a giant laser beam and blasted in the center of manhattan destroying everything around it? yeah, its pretty much like that.
Sorry to bring something up from 3 months ago, but I was reading the comments about Hurricane Sandy, and your comments were disgusting. Not only are you 2 years old but I happen to live in Northern NJ and that was the worst storm to hit here since 1954. I doubt you even live in NJ and the only captain you are is captain bullcrap. You're too ignorant, I cannot believe no one here said anything earlier

Old 01-23-2013, 02:03 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,700,318 times
I was on LBI 2 weekends ago and it looks much better than I expected. There are some piles of debris and tons of utility trucks (one hit me on the causeway), but it doesn't look like a war zone. Since a lot of businesses are normally closed this time of year, it's hard to tell what's just normally closed or destroyed. There are some restaurants open. I didn't get to Holgate which was hit the worst.

Seaside Heights on the other hand? Holy hell. What a disaster it is there. It's almost surreal, people kind of loitering around, looking at the wreckage. Piles of sh** EVERYWHERE. Seaside was never the most aesthetically pleasing place to begin with, but that place does look like war zone. They say the boardwalk will be done by Mem Day, I cannot imagine it will be but I hope so.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:10 PM

908 posts, read 1,556,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117 View Post
Not only are you 2 years old...
Hey, I see your point, but no need to offend toddlers everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey