Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2013, 12:09 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
You are such a mindless selfish troll. Do you take pride in being considered as an ***hole by so mmany people?
what exactly have i said that makes me any more selfish than you? were you out volunteering to help those impacted by the storm? did you donate money to help people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Anybody that continuously keeps posting the silliest most ridiculous posts probably thinks of themselves as being a complete ***hole.

Pretty sure I met the Captain in Millville, NJ a few years back because there can't possibly be two of them.
im curious what this millville person was like because i wonder what you actually think im like in person. i think im a nice guy.

im not sure where millville is, i think thats a brand of products ive seen at aldi. i think i may have some millville creamy wheat cereal in my garage now.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:32 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
what exactly have i said that makes me any more selfish than you? were you out volunteering to help those impacted by the storm? did you donate money to help people?
Yes to both.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:28 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,876,807 times
Quote:
Yes to both.
Thank you on behalf of the storm impaired.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:34 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Yes to both.
Ignore is a usually wonderful feature!

Old 01-28-2013, 02:54 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrsygrl51 View Post
I'm hardly up for a medal... just a little time and a few $$$... we're all in this together (though some don't get that)

Old 01-28-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrsygrl51 View Post
he is probably lying (or maybe he moved a branch off his property back onto his neighbors). im not sure how pointing out that some people enjoy being overly hysterical has anything to do with selfishness, but im sure it has more to do with people who are hysterical wanting to believe they are being "caring."

Old 01-28-2013, 03:22 PM

41 posts, read 213,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Please review the "Gambler's Fallacy". You are making this very common mistake. It's an error of logic. Thinking something is "due" because it has not happened in a long time.

A coin comes up heads 9 times in a row, you think tails are now "due". They are not due. Nothing is ever "due" in the world of probability. If no hurricanes hit Florida for 50 years in a row, they are not more likely to hit in year 51.

The rest of your argument proceeds from the same sloppy thought process as the Gambler's Fallacy, so I will not bore the audience by repeating myself.

Irene and Sandy are independent weather events, neither started any series or any other such nonsense. Get all of this out of your head. And make sure you are not using it in other areas of your life. It will only cause you to make lots of mistakes and some of them could be serious enough to cause unhappiness and failure. You don't want that.
You're so ignorant it's not even funny. You have absolutely no knowledge of weather history or anything in that category, coins have nothing to do with this. So you get that out of your head and don't tell me what I do and don't know. There are 100% such things as series which contribute to annual weather patterns, you're clearly not a meteorologist but a real estate agent which is even scarier especially the fact you're making up your own information. So shut your mouth and take a seat

Old 01-28-2013, 05:58 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,876,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
he is probably lying (or maybe he moved a branch off his property back onto his neighbors). im not sure how pointing out that some people enjoy being overly hysterical has anything to do with selfishness, but im sure it has more to do with people who are hysterical wanting to believe they are being "caring."
I am not quite sure what you are getting at. I assure you, I was there when the storm hit. Scary does not do it justice. Any help was welcomed. I tried getting a place off the island before hand and could not. I had over 4ft of water in my house.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:06 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117 View Post
You're so ignorant it's not even funny. You have absolutely no knowledge of weather history or anything in that category, coins have nothing to do with this. So you get that out of your head and don't tell me what I do and don't know. There are 100% such things as series which contribute to annual weather patterns, you're clearly not a meteorologist but a real estate agent which is even scarier especially the fact you're making up your own information. So shut your mouth and take a seat
OK great, Sparky, so channel some of the energy from that tantrum into reading up on meteorology and you will learn that your comment about a Cat 3 storm being "way overdue" is illogical nonsense.

Predicting weather is all about probability. It is infused in all aspects of meterological modelling and forecasting. Have you read a professional forecast lately? Oh and I'm pretty sure that I forgot more about meteorology last week than you've ever known.

But here is an example from today's NY Metro weather discussion:

Quote:
.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM TUESDAY MORNING/...
CHANCES OF PRECIP QUICKLY TAPER OFF AS WE HEAD INTO THE EARLY
EVENING HOURS. FOR MOST OF THE NIGHT...LOOKING AT ONLY SLIGHT CHANCE
TO CHANCE POPS. FOR PRECIP TYPE...ENOUGH WARM AIR ALOFT HAS PUSHED
THROUGH MOST OF FORECAST AREA SUCH THAT SNOW MIGHT STILL BE IN THE
PICTURE ONLY VERY EARLY THIS EVENING. SO VERY LITTLE ADDITIONAL SNOW
ACCUMULATION IS EXPECTED. FOR TEMPERATURES...THEY SHOULD GENERALLY
RISE SLIGHTLY FOR THE MOST PART...BUT WILL PROBABLY STOP RISING OR
EVEN DROP A FEW DEGREES OVER NORTHERN AND EASTERN ZONES AS A WEAK
COLD FRONT MOVES THROUGH.
Note the profuse usage of terms like chance, probably, "POPS" (which means probability of precipitation), expected.

It's all about the probabilities. And anyone with even the most rudimentary understanding of probability and statistics understands that weather events are not "due" or "overdue" based on their recently observed frequencies of occurrence.

So I never again want to hear you say that we are "due" to have a Cat 3. And for your own intellectual benefit, expand that concept to existence in general. Most people who think along the lines of things being "overdue" to happen are sloppy thinkers. You don't want that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey