Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 03:33 PM

4 posts, read 6,789 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Central New Jersey from Southern California with my husband and our baby. My husband will be working in Princeton. Our plan for now is to rent in Princeton/West Windsor (west of Route 1) until we’re more familiar with the area and (with luck) I have a job.

So, given that for the time being, my base is Princeton/West Windsor west of Rte 1, can you all help me define an area for a job search based on commuting time? I'm not expecting a job to magically appear for me within a given radius, but I just want to know what is and is not realistic in terms of a commute.

I’d like to keep the commute to under 1 hr each way (with traffic), though less is obviously much better since we have a little one at home. I work 9-5 type hours and am open to driving or public transit. Any suggestions for what is or is not a reasonable distance from Princeton/West Windsor west of Rte 1? Is there any direction that’s less trafficky? I tried the Trulia commute map, but it's not very encouraging and I don’t know how accurate the times are.

--Sue

Last edited by ReReLocator; 10-24-2012 at 03:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 05:30 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,455,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReReLocator View Post
I am moving to Central New Jersey from Southern California with my husband and our baby. My husband will be working in Princeton. Our plan for now is to rent in Princeton/West Windsor (west of Route 1) until we’re more familiar with the area and (with luck) I have a job.

So, given that for the time being, my base is Princeton/West Windsor west of Rte 1, can you all help me define an area for a job search based on commuting time? I'm not expecting a job to magically appear for me within a given radius, but I just want to know what is and is not realistic in terms of a commute.

I’d like to keep the commute to under 1 hr each way (with traffic), though less is obviously much better since we have a little one at home. I work 9-5 type hours and am open to driving or public transit. Any suggestions for what is or is not a reasonable distance from Princeton/West Windsor west of Rte 1? Is there any direction that’s less trafficky? I tried the Trulia commute map, but it's not very encouraging and I don’t know how accurate the times are.

--Sue

Sue

A good general rule of thumb is to take whatever the suggested commute time given on googlemaps/mapquest etc multiply it by 2 and add 10 % That will get you a more realistic idea of actual commute time.

One thing the location has going for it proximity to many major employers. Public transit is extremely limited and for the most part aimed solely at commuters to Newark/Jersey City/NYC.

KoalaNJ

Old 10-24-2012, 09:15 PM

5 posts, read 10,846 times
Hello! Where are you moving from? We are doing the same relocation! :-)

Old 10-25-2012, 01:30 PM

Thanks KoalaNJ. I was looking at applying to an position at Raritan Valley Community College, but it seems like that would be a pretty bad commute.

MontaukNY, we're moving from San Diego. You too?

It's funny because out here, we stand out as East-Coasters because we share a car, take public transportation, etc... but it looks like we're moving to a place where public transit is even LESS used than SoCal, and where the commutes are worse!

Old 10-25-2012, 03:47 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReReLocator View Post

--Sue
I see where you thinking of working at RVCC. In that case I would look for housing about 1/2 way between Branchburg and Princeton. Look South of rt 206 which is the only main road between Princeton and Branchburg where RVCC is located. Your husband would be commuting mainly against traffic if he used 206. There are back roads to RVCC so that you would not have to use 206 to commute to the college.
Consider Montgomery Twp and Hillsborough Twp. Montgomery is closer to Princeton, Hillsborough is closer to Branchburg.
I don't know of rentals in that area but you will probably do better in Hillsborough for a rental apt or house.
You can get to RVCC from Princeton in under an Hr. 30 min or less from Hillsborough. 45 from Montgomery.

For a permanent home I would prefer Montgomery over Hillsborough or West Windsor but that's IMO

Old 10-25-2012, 04:37 PM

Thanks PDD. That's very helpful info. Right now I think we're pretty set on Princeton/West Windsor, since my husband has a job there and I have no idea where/when/if I'll find a job myself. The timing is such that we need to move very soon, and I haven't even had a chance to start seriously looking for jobs, which is why we're planning to rent before settling more permanently. But maybe I'll apply at RVCC anyway and we can always move if we need to.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:08 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,055,277 times
There are a couple of campuses much closer to Princeton/WW. Mercer County Community College is in WW, Rider University is in nearby Lawrenceville and The College of NJ (TCNJ) is in Ewing.

You might look into applying there too.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:25 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,853,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
There are a couple of campuses much closer to Princeton/WW. Mercer County Community College is in WW, Rider University is in nearby Lawrenceville and The College of NJ (TCNJ) is in Ewing.

You might look into applying there too.
Don't forget Rutgers in New Brunswick.

Do you teach or some other college position?

Old 10-26-2012, 12:35 PM

Thanks daliowa and jerseyj. I will look into all of those. I don't teach, although I might consider it ... I'm not comfortable saying what I do do on a public forum. :-)

Old 10-26-2012, 04:38 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Silly off topic question. OP, does your screen name have to do with Howard Stern? Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey