Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 12:02 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,561,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Hate to bump but for Downtown Newark the orange should be extended up to Market Street. Same with the area south of Symphony Hall from Chestnut to South St, Broad to Mulberry as there's some HUD housing there. The Penn Station/CBD should be green from Broad St east and from the Prudential Center up to NJPAC. The Springfield Ave corridor between Bergen Street(where there's an Applebees and Cinema) down past Society Hill to MLK by the county courthouse is not red lol. Neither is the Belmont section between Irvine Turner and King, Spruce street up to W Kinney(though the NHA homes along Court could be). There are modern townhomes there(not projects or HUD housing) so it's a worst orange. It ain't red territory till you get to Muhammad Ali Ave and west of Irvine Turner.

For Mt. Vernon Place in Ivy Hill the corridor should be orange. Same with S. Orange Ave(Vailsburg side is more stable than east of the Parkway).

Ferry Street should be green between Penn Station and Wilson Ave as lots of people visit the restaurants well into the night.

For East Orange, Springdale Ave north to Renshaw, and from Glenwood east to N. Arlington should be yellow.
I will give you Springdale Avenue for East Orange, that can definitely be yellow.

As for Newark, the only thing I can agree with is that Springfield Ave east of Jone St should be yellow (I forgot that Society Hill extended that far). However, once you go west of Jone St/Irvine Turner, that is completely red. Yes, there's a Cinema and an Applebees at Bergen St, but does that detract from all the crime and shootings that go on there? No. The Springfield-Belmont neighborhood you mention is red also. Yes, there are modern townhouses that have been built in the last decade, but there's still a considerable amount of shootings between Spruce and W Kinney at those townhouses, especially recently. It seems like you're using housing as a means to decide whether it's red or orange and though it has some influence, ultimately it's based on crime rate. For example, the area you mention south of Symphony Hall is yellow. Yes, there's HUD housing and the overall look is gritty, but crimewise it's pretty mild.

I disagree with extending orange up to Market St. The area between Market and Court is mostly businesses, yellow is the most accurate color. Ferry St. also stays yellow also. Because it's so busy, robberies, carjackings and assaults are not uncommon. Only Forest Hill, truly, qualifies as a green for being safe for anyone at night.

Mt Vernon Place could possibly be orange, but from my knowledge it's not a lot of shootings there and from what I heard, the apartment complex has calmed down considerably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 01:10 PM

12 posts, read 18,209 times
Hey guys i been on that spotcrime website, and although it gives information on assaults and robberies and what not, it doesnt show car jackings, how do i get that nformation on a neighborhood?

Old 02-17-2013, 07:06 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,252,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnage146 View Post
Hey guys i been on that spotcrime website, and although it gives information on assaults and robberies and what not, it doesnt show car jackings, how do i get that nformation on a neighborhood?
they usually appear as a question mark on the map; other

Old 02-17-2013, 12:40 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,127,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Hate to bump but for Downtown Newark the orange should be extended up to Market Street.....
Oh, sure, no problem. Matter of fact, I'm glad you bumped it, because a thread like this shouldn't just be buried underneath all the other threads.

In any case, I'll add those changes when I get the chance. (Taking into consideration njnyckid's comments)

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfulchic83 View Post
Can one of you guys do one for Monmouth County? Thanks!
When I get the chance, I can do it. Realistically, (I think) the only areas that would get any sort of shading (besides green) would be parts of Asbury Park, Long Branch, and Keansburg. (I'd just need somebody familiar with Monmouth to confirm that).

Old 02-17-2013, 05:45 PM

199 posts, read 1,106,293 times
Wow, does the rich part of the City of Orange really deserve to be in yellow? (the part bordering S.Orange)

Old 03-12-2013, 06:29 AM

2 posts, read 4,500 times
i might agree if some parts of forest hill were green but i think its pretty pretentious to label the whole area green.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:50 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,127,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidance100 View Post
Wow, does the rich part of the City of Orange really deserve to be in yellow? (the part bordering S.Orange)
Probably spillover from the surrounding areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knock418 View Post
i might agree if some parts of forest hill were green but i think its pretty pretentious to label the whole area green.
Well, with the parks surrounding it, it's kind of isolated.

But we'll consider both of those suggestions.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:23 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,561,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knock418 View Post
I don't see how it's exactly "pretentious", but Forest Hill is the safest part of Newark and there are very accounts of serious crimes such as shootings. The only parts of Forest Hill that can be considered sketchy are the very lower parts near Bloomfield Ave and Mt. Prospect Ave, which are already shaded. Outside of those areas, the only parts that could maybe yellow is Verona Ave and a few of the side streets because aesthetically they're more gritty than the rest of the FH.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:10 PM

267 posts, read 352,077 times
can you add west orange areas to the map?

Old 03-15-2013, 02:57 PM

908 posts, read 1,554,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post

When I get the chance, I can do it. Realistically, (I think) the only areas that would get any sort of shading (besides green) would be parts of Asbury Park, Long Branch, and Keansburg. (I'd just need somebody familiar with Monmouth to confirm that).

Thanks a great deal! Just your comment alone gives me somewhat of an idea, but I will look out for your map.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey