Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Buying a new home, which town is best?
Roselle Park 15 78.95%
Union 5 26.32%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 11:19 AM

7 posts, read 71,484 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on buying a home in Union County and I found one that is doable. Any pros or cons in living in Roselle Park? It would be me, my wife and 5 month old son. I would appreciate any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 12:39 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexS11 View Post
I'm planning on buying a home in Union County and I found one that is doable. Any pros or cons in living in Roselle Park? It would be me, my wife and 5 month old son. I would appreciate any info.
To be honest, I wouldn't pick, either. I live in Union County and both towns are on the downward slope, especially more recently Roselle Park. I know people living in both areas and they want to get out ASAP. It's just a changing town, not what it used to be. Different people are moving in and the demographics are really changing. There is also a little increase of crime in RP, but nothing too violent. Drug busts, some break ins, stuff like that.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your budget? Maybe I can help steer you towards a little better of an area to live. Other parts of Union County are great and offer as much as or more than Union or RP.

I voted Roselle Park, because it is better than Union. Neither are awful areas, I don't want to scare you. It's not the ghetto, they're just both not that nice and in areas a bit rundown. Not that unsafe, either, that you should fear for your life, but at the same time you could do better if you can afford it.

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 05-03-2013 at 12:52 PM..

Old 07-01-2013, 08:55 PM

1 posts, read 13,370 times
Roselle park is a great town! I've lived here since I was a young child. The school system is great and there is very little crime. The house prices are resonance and taxes are low.
On the other hand...there are many pot heads and your hold may get a hold of weed in high school. If you raise him the right way and he hangs with the right crowd you might be able to save him. If I were you I'd have your son grow up here until he is in middle school then move somewhere nice after saving up money. Hope you listen to the advice. Enjoy!

Old 07-02-2013, 06:39 AM

199 posts, read 1,106,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseylover23 View Post
Roselle park is a great town! I've lived here since I was a young child. The school system is great and there is very little crime. The house prices are resonance and taxes are low.
On the other hand...there are many pot heads and your hold may get a hold of weed in high school. If you raise him the right way and he hangs with the right crowd you might be able to save him. If I were you I'd have your son grow up here until he is in middle school then move somewhere nice after saving up money. Hope you listen to the advice. Enjoy!
lol, Pot is the one thing that is everywhere. From Newark to Milburn, from Community Colleges to the Ivy Leagues. The majority (or at least a very sizable chunk) of male teens/young adults smoke it at least once a month regardless of background

There's really no escaping that..

lol, sorry; not really relevant to the thread..just thought i'd throw that in.

Last edited by Guidance100; 07-02-2013 at 06:53 AM..

Old 07-02-2013, 06:50 AM

Thanks for the great feedback Jerseylover123. This would be my starter home and hopefully my wife and I can move on to a better neighborhood with a great public school system. Education for kids can be costly.

Hey Guidance100, you're absolutely right. It's everywhere, trust me I know, but its more predominant in some schools than in others. I think that's what jl123 was trying convey.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:35 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,523,483 times
RP is a bit too close to Elizabeth for comfort, IMHO.

If you are looking at RP why not check out Garwood or Cranford? Both are safer towns with better than average access to the city if you have to commute

Old 07-02-2013, 05:00 PM

I definitely would ff757 especially Cranford which I just discovered, but the matter of price comes into play. Right now, I'm the sole bread winner as my wife just graduated college. In a few years I could definitely see me and my family there.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:10 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,203,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidance100 View Post
lol, Pot is the one thing that is everywhere. From Newark to Milburn, from Community Colleges to the Ivy Leagues. The majority (or at least a very sizable chunk) of male teens/young adults smoke it at least once a month regardless of background
The only place with a pot-free high school is Stepford, Connecticut. So if you find yourself in such a place, just keep going.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:03 AM

1 posts, read 13,227 times
AlexS11-

I just moved to Roselle Park in October 2012 and have no complaints thus far. Let me know if you would like to discuss the area privately as i am willing to help out and wish someone offered me that kind of assistance when i was looking to purchase my first home last year.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:28 PM

1 posts, read 12,967 times
I just bought a house in Roselle Park with my boyfriend and we're happy so far. We are 26 year old working professionals originally from Piscataway NJ and Montvale NJ and while the neighborhood is very friendly and quiet, we don't plan on staying more than 5-6 years. I think it's a great place to start out as a young couple because of its proximity to Cranford's downtown area, the GSP, and it's own train station. I've heard rumors that there are plans to make the train direct to NYC (right now we have to switch in Newark) so that will certainly be a plus. I don't know much about the schools, but we will probably move to a town where we can get more land for our money once we have kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey