Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 10:50 PM

382 posts, read 804,269 times

Advertisements

I don't live in Bergen County. I live in Clifton, in the Allwood section. Now, if you were somehow able to take my whole neighborhood and land it in Paramus, Glen Rock, Oradell, etc. it would fit right in. The houses here are maintained, some of us even have high-end cars and guess what??? The neighborhood kids graduate high school and go to college. My wife and I have a one year old, so college is many years away. Aside from popular belief Clifton schools are actually relatively decent, it's just that the high school is over crowded. There has been talk about building another one. I am a Pedorthist and my wife is a nurse. We both have respected careers. If we wanted to move to Bergen County we could. We don't care about what people think of us. I could talk to somebody from Glen Rock who is getting by on credits cards. "Keeping up with the Jones'", the snob factor of a town, etc shouldn't be a deciding factor in buying a house. You buy a house because of location and the school system. A lot of you people need to relax with the b.s....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 10:53 PM

382 posts, read 804,269 times
To add a few more tid bits..."Sorry to rain on your parade". But, there are more wealthier areas of New Jersey than Bergen County. Secondly, there are a ton of houses for sale in Bergen County. I had to see a patient in Franklin Lakes and decided to drive down a few side streets, to check out Franklin Lakes. I counted over 15 houses for sale. Move to Bergen County if you have the loot...

Old 07-25-2013, 11:55 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
In a way, I understand what you mean but for a few different reasons. Bergen County seems to be the go to county of NJ in terms of describing NJ and I find many residents of there are extremely proud to be from there (which is fine, btw). I personally don't think Bergen County is all that special compared to other NE NJ counties. A lot of people in Bergen County support the Blue Laws, and praise them to anyone who asks, while I think they're stupid, especially because malls are ridiculously crowded on Saturdays since they're closed on Sundays. I don't touch malls anywhere in general on Saturdays (I frequent Menlo and Short Hills) unless I have to, and I especially don't get anywhere near Bergen County ones on Saturdays.

I live in Union County and while it is not the best in general and I will never claim it is, I think, for me, that it is the best location. I am very much a beach person and I like easy access to the beach and city, and I have both from my Cranford home. 30 miles down the parkway is Long Branch, with an hour train ride or a 20 mile drive to the city. For me, Bergen County is a little too far from the beaches. It's pretty good in city access (I say pretty good because let's be real, the GW isn't located in the best area of Manhattan nor is it close to core areas of Manhattan unlike Penn Station for example), though. But it does have PATH access, which I like. Despite those, IMO Hudson County wins on city access.

I'm not hating at all on Bergen County, I personally don't care either way, I just always wonder why it is so highly praised in general.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:05 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,781,043 times
The obsession over schools is getting ridiculous. Parental mentoring and involvement is what drives a child, not a public school. I know quite a few folks who graduated from southern bergen county schools, went to college, and are doing quite well for themselves. It would not have made a difference if they went to Becton High School, or Glen Rock High School. They still achieved and did well because they applied themselves and had parents who cared. I also know people who went to "blue ribbon" schools and were complete dirtbags and not successful in life. People constantly bicker on here over which school is better blah blah blah. Oh statistics...look at the SAT scores (you know, because if the whole school has higher ranking SAT scores, your child will absorb into that statistic) It is like they want to pass the buck onto the school system to make their child succeed...either that or just live among the elite and protect their kids from the working class.

I grew up in what is now considered to be an affluent town in Bergen County. Property taxes there are outrageous but the schools are like an orgasm and many of the new residents are doctors, lawyers, etc. I remember when I was growing up there people were more working class. Kids in my grade had parents who were mechanics, custodians, etc and they all owned modest houses...funny how things change.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:59 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,076,477 times
I lived in Clifton (Lakeview -no lake & no view) over a decade ago and for the most part it's fine. If they revitalize Main it will get even better.

Schools are another story altogether. Waaay too crowded especially the middle & high schools. There's a gang presence at the HS which I don't recall from 10 yrs ago. If you're still in Clifton 10 yrs from now your kid will most likely be in private school.

So I agree your neighborhood & Montclair Heights would fit in fine in many BC neighborhoods but your schools and overall higher level of crime would not be tolerated.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:03 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,781,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
I lived in Clifton (Lakeview -no lake & no view) over a decade ago and for the most part it's fine. If they revitalize Main it will get even better.

Schools are another story altogether. Waaay too crowded especially the middle & high schools. There's a gang presence at the HS which I don't recall from 10 yrs ago. If you're still in Clifton 10 yrs from now your kid will most likely be in private school.

So I agree your neighborhood & Montclair Heights would fit in fine in many BC neighborhoods but your schools and overall higher level of crime would not be tolerated.
There are gang presences in more towns than people want to recognize. Latin Kings, MS-13 among others are in towns with very "good schools"

Old 07-26-2013, 06:33 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,076,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
There are gang presences in more towns than people want to recognize. Latin Kings, MS-13 among others are in towns with very "good schools"
Probably true in some BC towns (Hackensack, Garfield). But Cliton borders two cities with definite gang problems.
The "You're Now Entering Clifton" sign and hardass Clifton PD isn't enough to keep them out.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:42 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
The obsession over schools is getting ridiculous. Parental mentoring and involvement is what drives a child, not a public school.
My wife is quite involved in what goes in the school systems and her career revolves around the system.

You are quite wrong.

Parental involvement is indeed very very very important.

BUT

School system is just as important.

BOTH is required. Neither can do it alone. Parents build the foundation, discipline, and motivation. The school system provides challenges, opportunity, and direction. I'd even say there is also a third, often over looked factor, the community.

Bet yeh... you kinda touched on a very bad situation that is all to common. Uninvolved parents that use the school system as a daycare of sorts.... the most important missing factor I see? Lack of discipline. These are the type of parents that want to be more of a "friend" rather than a parent in order to avoid the hard things about being a parent.... one of which is setting boundaries and following through.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:05 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,827,755 times
It's like saying stop all the BS about BMW's and Benz, my Honda takes me to work and home just fine. Okay, Clifton might not be Honda, maybe Acura. Happy? lol

How do you explain those Bergen towns (Paramus, Glen Rock, Oradell) average home price is 25% higher than Clifton?

Answer: because it's more desirable for whatever reason (schools.. etc)

Just my personal opinion though. Don't shoot the messenger

Old 07-26-2013, 11:06 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,151,703 times
No offense but no one's holding a gun to your head begging you to read these "Bergen County town" threads. You may not care about what people think of you and that's fine but other people do care and they want what they feel is best for their family. All of us that live in Bergen county have their own perception of various towns and we offer that opinion to those who may not know the area well. Isn't that what this forum is all about? Helping others?

There was a kid that started 5 or 6 threads on getting his driver's license. Was it annoying? Yeah, but I just ignored the thread when it got to be too much, as did others. I didn't go bash the kid. But I digress...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey