Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2013, 09:35 AM

800 posts, read 1,297,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
if you own a $70,000 car and live anywhere near newark, you should someone know that people tend to try and steal them vs., say, a honda fit.

whew.. me and my honda fit are safe! i <3 my fit

Old 12-18-2013, 09:36 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I don't know about that. Most people who aren't smart enough to make it through law school are smart enough to know that you don't protect your car with your life. From what I have read about this guy, he was pretty bright. I seriously doubt the car was a factor.
wait...so you don't know people who made it through law school who aren't street smart? i mean...it's one thing to be a smart college kid. it certainly takes hard work, dedication, and focus. but let's not confuse the ability to go to college, read books, and do well on tests as being the same thing as being smart about everything you'll do in life.

i went to college, my wife is a PhD. the first week at home with our first child...we had no f'ing clue what to do. and guess what...there's not a person in the world who does, yet they all want to tell you what you should do. 2.5 years later, we're better, but sometimes, you just don't know what to do.

maybe he was smart but also really cared about his possessions? maybe he was smart but also thought he was tough enough to beat up two guys trying to take his car, or if he also thought it, take his wife. maybe he's like the guy at Willie McBride's who thought I was hitting on his girlfriend, and just a hot head. who knows? (actually - a friend of mine graduated with him at bucknell and says he's a smart kid who wouldn't have cared about the car...but hell, he knew him 10 years ago as a college classmate so who knows?).

bottom line is...car, wife, whatever the factor is...would you really try and fight two guys when one has a gun pointed at you? really? unless they threatened something (which maybe they did), i just see that as insane.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:43 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
I would wait for the investigation before concluding what the victim did.

A lot of things happen simultaneously in an armed robbery that could be fatal if something goes wrong. It may have been that he would have let his SUV go, but he may have thought (rightly or wrongly) that the carjackers would try to take the wife with them as a getaway hostage.

I've seen cases where victims was shot simply because they did not immediately understand what the robbers were yelling them to do.

Don't know yet at this point.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
exactly. brady is saying something that doesn't fit the situation simply because that's what he wants to believe. nobody is risking their life to save their car. they are risking their life because there are a couple of guys with guns pointed and him and/or his wife and he doesn't know whether or not they will pull the trigger.
yes...so the only logical response is to fight the guy with the gun pointed at you. i see clearly now. darwinism.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
The latest reports I've seen claim that he WAS shot defending her. You have a hard time seeing that situation, that they wouldn't shoot her and only him, because you're a likely normal, rational person and cannot make sense of such an act. I've been there, believe me, I question stuff like this all the time when I see stories in the news - mass shootings ending in suicide, a parent killing their child, a violent rape, etc, I could go on forever. It's best to not wonder why people like these animals do what they do and why because as someone who would never do such a thing, I can never understand it. Might as well quit while I'm ahead.
the daily news says he "defended" her...but to that i ask...if she needed defending, why is she alive and the guy defending her is dead? if they were going to do anything to her, they then had nothing standing in their way. yet, she's fine? sorry....i still think it's just a story the media likes to jump on. "hero defends wife". she sat in the car while this happened, they killed her husband, and then told her to get out. what defense was there?

i'm still going with...don't try and fight back against the guy with the gun pointed at you. you'll lose.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
It will probably make sense when the perpetrators are caught. One possibility is that they were relatively inexperienced carjackers who panicked when the victim resisted. The choice of location and victim as well as the decision to shoot are signs of poor judgement. Abandoning the SUV could be an indication of desperation.

Remember the Chershire CT home invasion, and the Medford LI pharmacy mass murder? Initial public reaction was how someone could do something so despicable. After the suspects were caught and investigated, it became clear that the murders were committed by petty criminals who over-reached beyond their abilities and lost control of the situation.
well said. you said it better than i....this is basically summing up what i'm trying to say. and NJ07035 did too.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:53 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,827,755 times
Quote:
wait...so you don't know people who made it through law school who aren't street smart? i mean...it's one thing to be a smart college kid. it certainly takes hard work, dedication, and focus. but let's not confuse the ability to go to college, read books, and do well on tests as being the same thing as being smart about everything you'll do in life.

i went to college, my wife is a PhD. the first week at home with our first child...we had no f'ing clue what to do. and guess what...there's not a person in the world who does, yet they all want to tell you what you should do. 2.5 years later, we're better, but sometimes, you just don't know what to do.

maybe he was smart but also really cared about his possessions? maybe he was smart but also thought he was tough enough to beat up two guys trying to take his car, or if he also thought it, take his wife. maybe he's like the guy at Willie McBride's who thought I was hitting on his girlfriend, and just a hot head. who knows? (actually - a friend of mine graduated with him at bucknell and says he's a smart kid who wouldn't have cared about the car...but hell, he knew him 10 years ago as a college classmate so who knows?).

bottom line is...car, wife, whatever the factor is...would you really try and fight two guys when one has a gun pointed at you? really? unless they threatened something (which maybe they did), i just see that as insane.
I agree with this, street smart and book smart are two different things, in this case, you will need street smart to get out of the situation.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanonGrace View Post
My own personal opinion is that the perps actually knew what they were doing. Hear me out.

I park in that section of the mall EVERY SINGLE TIME I go. Why? It's about as remote as it gets and it is easy to get out of there. It doesn't seem that way, but it really is...... I'll explain:

First of all, the third floor outside of Nordstrom is open air and people just never want to park up there so it's easier to find a spot, but also dark. The outdoor lights are always busted, but even when they are not, it's darker up there than inside. Beyond that, even though it's on the third floor, it's a quick two floor drive down. I could easily be out of there in two minutes---just straight down the ramp and again, as it's not the most used ramp, I never encounter traffic. By contrast, the rest of the mall is a bit of a nightmare for parking. Circling around the mall alone is a huge time waster and every parking lot is usually full.

The other aspect is that it's an easy on/off to Rt. 24 from that ramp than any other lot in that mall. Again, it's the reason I park there because I can get in and out fast. You come down the ramp, pass two stop signs that are rarely necessary anyway and make a left, go about 200 yards, and volila, you are on 24.

In terms of choosing that mall, there have been carjackings there before. It's full of nice cars and idiots like me that think we are safe. I did have a situation once there where two scary dudes were hanging outside looking as though they were scoping the place out so maybe I am not that much of an idiot as I immediately went inside, waited to go back out with a crowd and did so talking loudly on my phone, keys in hand. In other words, there is a history at this mall that had me on my guard at least once before.

I think what they likely did not count on was murdering someone......and had they not, this would not have been newsworthy as it happened a few times. In fact, I think last year someone was badly beaten in the parking lot and of course, we have that incident in Millburn proper.

Something really needs to be done to protect Short Hills/Millburn.....

....and I have to add, I think the township residents just adopted over 500 kids from Newark for the holidays. In fact, they worked with DYFS to provide the ENTIRE SANTA WISHLIST for each child. You should have seen the volume of black garbage bags full of toys, including bikes etc, that left in a special truck. Don't get me wrong--I am not saying that makes us saints, but I am saddened that so much generosity does go unnoticed. I know people that spent over $400 per kid in gifts. Bikes, suitcases, clothes, toys, etc..... Of course, the greater problem is that one of poverty and that's nothing something we can solve here.
car thiefs usually are gonna target places that are close to a highway. that's a common thread when cars have been stolen in west orange also. they always seem to happen right off of the 280 ramps. but, i think they made a mistake with the particular location of this car. it was late, so it worked, but 2 minutes to get out of a garage is a long time with a stolen car. but overall, your post makes sense. i think they went, specifically looking for a range rover. it said they had been driving around the parking lots in their car, so they were obviously scoping things out. it was around 9pm, so the garages are probably fairly empty.

but you hit the nail on the head, in my opinion - they very likely didn't count on seeing resistence. in that moment, i'd be willing to bet the idiot thief is thinking - oh $hit, i'm pulling the trigger, i'm @$@%ed! this isn't me feeling bad for the thief. it's just what makes the most sense.

we've gotta do something about the crime. there's no doubt about that. in the meantime, we also have to be smarter individually. i've avoided parking there because it scares that crap out of me. now, i'll avoid it more.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
There was an elaborate Queens-based car theft ring that was recently busted. They stole from the rich suburbs of LI, Westchester and NJ.

Like many other crime syndicates, their MO was non-confrontational. The cars they swiped were parked unattended in driveways, commuter parking lots and shopping centers while the owners were not near the cars. They succeeded because they had some way to open the vehicles and start the engines, sometimes in connivance with car dealer employees. Another reason is that there are car owners who are stupid enough to leave cars unlocked. They also had strategically-located disposal areas outside of NYC where they can quickly drop the car off and change the plates and VIN.

Car theft is a complex operation, especially when targeting affluent victims. Professional car thieves will almost always choose a non-confrontational tactic over armed robbery. It may be that the SHM carjackers went there intending to steal a car. But it did not look like they were experienced or had the infrastructure to carry out their crime. The fact that they resorted to armed robbery means they had no knowledge or technology to pry open locked cars and start engines. And leaving the SUV in Newark shows they did not have the logistics to process the loot. To put it another way, thieves cannot accumulate the experience in stealing cars - luxury cars - if their usual MO is armed robbery because this strategy does not work too often enough.

It may have worked if they wanted to steal a wallet or handbag. But not an SUV.
i'm not sure how long ago your Queens car theft ring example operated, but you can't just start engines now. this isn't gone in 60 seconds. there's so many devices that disable a car now, that most car thieves resort to the plain old...grab someone's keys, and steal it. there are ways, but it's pretty difficult.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:04 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Quote:
i'm not sure how long ago your Queens car theft ring example operated, but you can't just start engines now. this isn't gone in 60 seconds. there's so many devices that disable a car now, that most car thieves resort to the plain old...grab someone's keys, and steal it. there are ways, but it's pretty difficult.
Just this month:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/12/ny...t-16.html?_r=0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey