Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2013, 07:06 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
car thiefs usually are gonna target places that are close to a highway. that's a common thread when cars have been stolen in west orange also. they always seem to happen right off of the 280 ramps. but, i think they made a mistake with the particular location of this car. it was late, so it worked, but 2 minutes to get out of a garage is a long time with a stolen car. but overall, your post makes sense. i think they went, specifically looking for a range rover. it said they had been driving around the parking lots in their car, so they were obviously scoping things out. it was around 9pm, so the garages are probably fairly empty.

but you hit the nail on the head, in my opinion - they very likely didn't count on seeing resistence. in that moment, i'd be willing to bet the idiot thief is thinking - oh $hit, i'm pulling the trigger, i'm @$@%ed! this isn't me feeling bad for the thief. it's just what makes the most sense.

we've gotta do something about the crime. there's no doubt about that. in the meantime, we also have to be smarter individually. i've avoided parking there because it scares that crap out of me. now, i'll avoid it more.
It seems to be open hunting season in parts of NJ where carjacking is concerned. Reports are weekly if not daily of someone having a Mercedes, BMW, Range Rover, etc... jacked from them, and it does not seem to have ebbed with the actions of a Newark based gang a week or so ago.

There is obviously a huge market and the thugs doing the actual theft not only in NJ, but parts of NY are the lower hanging fruit. Anyone who has watched enough "Sopranos" type programming knows that a vast infrastructure supports stolen autos especially those that are destined for shipment out of the USA.

As another poster stated it wouldn't surprise me if some dealers are in on the game as well.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:13 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
People living & working in poor neighborhoods are the targets of money-hungry thieves, as well.

Yes, but the payoff is much greater elsewhere. Someone living in the same housing projects as thugs aren't gong to have much more than they, that is unless the target is involved in the same sort of activity. Even so doing such things in one's own hood is not usually a great idea these days, especially with so much gang controlled turf. Sooner or later someone is going to find out it was *you* that jacked their cousin or grandmother and then it's all over.

You'll find the European "mafias" Jewish, Irish, Italian, etc... all had among their many other service offerings a neighborhood "protection fund". No matter how poor or low income the area you paid into the scheme and if anything happened you went to *ahem* have things taken care of.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:04 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
what makes someone fancy? lol

i'm a pretty simple guy, but i like some nice things. i'd probably call myself non-fancy. it's tough to be fancy when you grew up in the sticks of pennsyltucky.
fancy isn't really the best word. my wife is fancy, im not. im talking about people who dont have a high school education and are barely fit for low wage jobs. people that look out of place in short hills mall and not because they are dressed too casually.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:06 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
yes...so the only logical response is to fight the guy with the gun pointed at you. i see clearly now. darwinism.
you familiar with a straw man argument? i never said that so why are you putting those words in my mouth? you are already at a big disadvantage because you are unarmed and the criminal is armed. but if you see an opportunity to do something, it may pay to act instead of hope the guy doesn't shoot you. that depends on a variety of factors; there is no blanket do it or dont do it answer.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cm5878 View Post
And let me guess the nationality of these carjackers, hmmmm!
Isn't it sad enough that we have these type of situations happen, but to incinerate it with racism....really. Let's stop violent education, lets eliminate games like "Grand Theft Auto". Wouldn't it be sad if I said , let me guess the nationality of the people that profit from this video game?

Old 12-19-2013, 07:22 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Maybe I watch the ID channel too much. This sounds suspicious. The lawyer's wife is IN the car, yet these two guys pop up, kill the guy, allow her to get out of the car alive, and just drive away without touching her. Sounds like a hit to me.
You just might be on to something.

Suppose I'm a pro car thief, I see the car my "boss" wants I approach pull out my weapon and order the two occupants out and drive off. When the aggressor has his weapon out he is in control. I'm a car thief not a murderer. I bring the car back to be stripped or shipped off overseas. The car is never seen.

Suppose I'm a hit man, I see my target I shoot him but let his wife go when I jack his car. I drive it to Newark and leave it on the street because the car was not my target and lots of car jackers come from Newark.

So why would a car jacker kill somebody and then leave the car on the street? Cars are jacked and stripped every day but when a murder is involved nobody is going to want to deal with that car.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:24 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Some years ago when I was still living in Bergen County, there was a rash of auto thefts in the Rutherford area in winter. People would go outside and start their cars to warm them up, and the thieves were waiting in the dark. When the car owner went back into the house, the thieves took the running cars and drove them right down into Newark.

When they caught some of the thieves, one, a young woman, said, "It's their own fault. When they buy nice cars, OF COURSE we are going to take them. What do they think is going to happen?"

That's the mindset you're dealing with. If you have something nice and it gets stolen, well, you should have expected it.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:44 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post

So why would a car jacker kill somebody and then leave the car on the street? Cars are jacked and stripped every day but when a murder is involved nobody is going to want to deal with that car.
Obviously, because nobody is going to touch that car with a ten foot pole after it was plastered all over the news and tied to a murder. I don't think the carjackers planned on killing the guy, but at the same time place such a low value on human life that had no problem doing it when the guy got in the way. Having a low IQ combined with a low value on human life is a very dangerous combination.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:21 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,242,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
a Newark cop told me ... they found the Subaru and a person connected to it who was being interrogated. As I said, take it for what it's worth.
I hope it is worth something. Usually, the car driven out to the suburbs is stolen, as well.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:26 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,211,423 times
Where did those shi*faces go . Why cant we find them yet through forensics. Or is it true that they have been found, but cops don't want to report it yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey