Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2015, 01:41 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yes, those two. I believe both are under federal control, and in the great scheme of things a very small part of the state's beachfront. The statement was that Maryland requires them.

After I posted I realized that I should have said, "Except for............". I didn't go back and edit.
my bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 10:17 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Ok,

S.Carolina is all so on the East coast .

People all so travel to NJ to stay at Hotels and their tax revenue all so pays for the Hotels use of the beach.

..........and yes people do take day trips to S.Carolina beaches but most prefer the N.Carolina beaches.
There are 23 million people in Metro NYC, and 7 million in Metro Philly, both within 2 hour drive to New Jersey's beaches. South Carolina probably doesn't have 1/10 of that within 2 hours.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:23 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,458,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
There are 23 million people in Metro NYC, and 7 million in Metro Philly, both within 2 hour drive to New Jersey's beaches. South Carolina probably doesn't have 1/10 of that within 2 hours.
But.....TAXES!!!!!???

sorry- just heading off where the typical NJ vs the south posts end up...

Old 05-28-2015, 10:28 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
But.....TAXES!!!!!???

sorry- just heading off where the typical NJ vs the south posts end up...
LOL, yep!

Next they'll tell us that NJ schools aren't that good and teachers don't deserve pensions.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:34 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,458,665 times
Quote:
LOL, yep!

Next they'll tell us that NJ schools aren't that good and teachers don't deserve pensions.

yup...here comes the - I moved to GA (or SC, TX, NC) and bought a 8K sq ft house built last year on 9 acres for 100K and only pay 50 bucks for property tax...and all the kids at the local HS got into either Harvard, MIT, or Yale; there hasn't been a crime commited in 5 years; all teachers make minimum wage; I am allowed to have one AR 15 per family member; I'm 3 min form the beach, mountains, and lakes, the food is actually better- esp. the pizza...oh and I got a 75% raise moving here too....

Old 05-28-2015, 10:37 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
The beach in my town is only 22 miles from Manhattan. It is really nice. Considering like 10 million million people live within an hour drive to that beach and I say around 3 million people live within a 20 minute drive it cant be a free and open to everyone beach.

The whole beach is gated in an area with resident only parking. It is not a private beach but only folks who live in town can use the beach and it is paid for out of the incorporated tax.

However, some new folk to town try to AIRBbB or rent out place by night or lent out their beach place to friends often are suprised you cant do that and you cant pay to get on the beach and the guests cant get a beach pass. They are picture ID only. And they check them.

I had a few folks who want to stay at my place for the week and when I tell them the beach is a private resident only beach they say great I am residing at your place for a week. When I tell them that does not entitle them to a pass and unless I drive down there and walk them to beach they cant get in they are shocked.Even more so when they realize you can see the beach from my front lawn.

Old 05-28-2015, 04:44 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
yup...here comes the - I moved to GA (or SC, TX, NC) and bought a 8K sq ft house built last year on 9 acres for 100K and only pay 50 bucks for property tax...and all the kids at the local HS got into either Harvard, MIT, or Yale; there hasn't been a crime commited in 5 years; all teachers make minimum wage; I am allowed to have one AR 15 per family member; I'm 3 min form the beach, mountains, and lakes, the food is actually better- esp. the pizza...oh and I got a 75% raise moving here too....
LOL

Old 05-28-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
LOL, yep!

Nope , New Jersey schools are better and I think every teacher should get a pension if that is what their contract says they get .

Old 05-28-2015, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Nope NJ has all that but it does have Chris Christi "the fat man"who went after his own people with "bridge gate".Yes there are nice and bad things about every state,so what the hell does your post have to do with charging to get on the beach ?

Old 05-29-2015, 03:25 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,397,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
The beach in my town is only 22 miles from Manhattan. It is really nice. Considering like 10 million million people live within an hour drive to that beach and I say around 3 million people live within a 20 minute drive it cant be a free and open to everyone beach.
How's this different that the Los Angeles area or san diego or oahu where they have many free beaches? And in hawaii they have millions visiting JUST for the beach. I really don't like the privatization of beaches in NJ either. The ocean doesn't belong to anyone and they shouldn't be able to limit access. It's a natural resource. In Hawaii there are no "private" beaches and it's beautiful year round to go to the beach. A big problem in NJ is seeing the beach as private property. It's B.S. These same OCEAN FRONT property owners are begging for aid/money when a hurricane inevitably hits. Never mind the MILLIONS in replenishment paid for by the feds to put sand back on the beach every few years! They've overdeveloped the coast and built hard structures too close to the shoreline. And the millions spent rebuilding after inevitable and the subsidies given by the feds for oceanfront property insurance.

Even worse than charging for a beach is denying access.

And what's with the nazi mentality telling people they're not allowed in the water after 6pm? It's called swim at your own risk. This doesn't exist in california. There's too many rules at these beaches. It's insane. They need to lighten up.

The money collected for beach tags in one year would probably pay for lifeguard staffing for 15 years I'm guessing at a place like belmar. You also wouldn't need to pay for beach badge checkers which would save money. I could just imagine the amount collected. Never mind all the money these people spend at establishments in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey