Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2008, 02:07 AM

2 posts, read 12,140 times

Advertisements

IM CURRENTLY ON SECTION8 B4 I GOTMY VOUCHER MY UNEMPLOYMENT RAN OUT ,MY CAR ACCIDENT MONEY RAN OUT,MY FIANCEE LEFT ME WITH 2 KIDS AFTER WAITING CLOSE 2 6 YEARS I GOT THE HELP I NEEDED .I GOT ON WELFARE AT FIRST,MY RENT WAS REASONABLE SO I WAS ABLE TO AFFORD A SCHOOL THEN GOT A JOB DOING PHLEBOTOMY PART-TIME ,GOT OFF CASH LATER FOOD STAMPS IN 2 YEARS THEN OFF MEDICAID I WORK FULL-TIME IN THE HOSPITAL A LOW PAYING ONE NOW IM GOING TO NURSING SCHOOL FULLTIME ALSO I THOGHT IWAS GOING TO BE IN THE STREETS GOD BLESS THIS PROGRAM.NEEKAH THERE ARE A LOT OF SCAMMERS OUT THRE BUT IM NOT IT WAS HARD TO GET A 3BR/2BA WITH MY PAY OTHERS WILL NOT PROSPER FOR LONG THERE TIME IS ALMOST UP MANY LANDLORDS CANT BELIEVE IM ON ASSISTANCE .TO THOSE OF U WHO WONT RENT TO SECTION 8 EXAMINE YOUR APPLICANT VISIT THERE CURRENT APT MEET THER E LANDLORD IN PERSON PEOPLE DESERVE NICE APTS NO MATTER .I KNOW NASTY PEOPLE IN DIFFERANT RACES I WORK WITH WIT DEGREES SO DONT BE QUICK TO JUDGE.FINALLY WHEN I HIT30G I WILL BE IN A HOUSING BUYING PROGRAM AND PURCHASE MY HOME. EXTR(MY RENTWAS NEVER UNDER200 EVEN ON WELFRE CLIENT PAYS 30%OF INCOME STATE 70%/I PAY 784 DOLLARS FOR 3BR/2BA MARKET RATE FOR 2BR MY INCOMEIS 28G.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
With all of the ruckus about the middle class and lower middle class being eliminated, do you believe section 8 is a good thing? I know alot of these welfare programs were created for the Depression Era, but I was wondering has these programs hinderd our society?

I think the purpose of these threads is to open our minds and I really want to open mine and kind of challenged what I have always thought on the subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 02:10 AM

2 posts, read 12,140 times
Smile section 8 battle

IM CURRENTLY ON SECTION8 B4 I GOTMY VOUCHER MY UNEMPLOYMENT RAN OUT ,MY CAR ACCIDENT MONEY RAN OUT,MY FIANCEE LEFT ME WITH 2 KIDS AFTER WAITING CLOSE 2 6 YEARS I GOT THE HELP I NEEDED .I GOT ON WELFARE AT FIRST,MY RENT WAS REASONABLE SO I WAS ABLE TO AFFORD A SCHOOL THEN GOT A JOB DOING PHLEBOTOMY PART-TIME ,GOT OFF CASH LATER FOOD STAMPS IN 2 YEARS THEN OFF MEDICAID I WORK FULL-TIME IN THE HOSPITAL A LOW PAYING ONE NOW IM GOING TO NURSING SCHOOL FULLTIME ALSO I THOGHT IWAS GOING TO BE IN THE STREETS GOD BLESS THIS PROGRAM.NEEKAH THERE ARE A LOT OF SCAMMERS OUT THRE BUT IM NOT IT WAS HARD TO GET A 3BR/2BA WITH MY PAY OTHERS WILL NOT PROSPER FOR LONG THERE TIME IS ALMOST UP MANY LANDLORDS CANT BELIEVE IM ON ASSISTANCE .TO THOSE OF U WHO WONT RENT TO SECTION 8 EXAMINE YOUR APPLICANT VISIT THERE CURRENT APT MEET THER E LANDLORD IN PERSON PEOPLE DESERVE NICE APTS NO MATTER .I KNOW NASTY PEOPLE IN DIFFERANT RACES I WORK WITH NASTY ONES WIT DEGREES SO DONT BE QUICK TO JUDGE.FINALLY WHEN I HIT30G I WILL BE IN A HOUSING BUYING PROGRAM AND PURCHASE MY HOME. EXTRA(MY RENTWAS NEVER UNDER200 )EVEN ON WELFRE CLIENT PAYS 30%OF INCOME STATE 70%/I PAY 784 DOLLARS FOR 3BR/2BA MARKET RATE FOR 2BR MY INCOMEIS 28G.
Quote:
With all of the ruckus about the middle class and lower middle class being eliminated, do you believe section 8 is a good thing? I know alot of these welfare programs were created for the Depression Era, but I was wondering has these programs hinderd our society?

I think the purpose of these threads is to open our minds and I really want to open mine and kind of challenged what I have always thought on the subject.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:30 PM

18 posts, read 72,750 times
Quote:
I have read a few of your indistinguishable rants and I can only tell you that I speak from what I know and have seen just as you do. I stand by what I said about some people who receive aid like Section 8, food stamps, cash assistance. When I and others that I know go to the supermarket we are very mindful of what we can and can't afford but yet you see people who will quickly whip out a WIC card or WIC check and pay for a boatload of groceries. I know working people who have 4 children and they have not once received assistance and when they go grocery shopping they buy what they need and can afford and go. They struggle to maintain a home and cars. They work average jobs and neither went to college. How do you figure they didn't jump on Section 8 or any other welfare program??? BECAUSE THEY CHOSE TO WORK and actually have jobs before they decided to have children they couldn't afford.
Yes there may be some people who receive Section 8 who are working to better themselves and their families but for that one there are several who are not. They don't have husbands in the home but they have boyfriends and baby daddies who stay there so often they should split the rent. I don't "discriminate" against Section 8 people or welfare recipients because I have nothing to discriminate them from. Yes there are some landlords who discriminate against Section 8 people because they don't want damage to be done to their homes (as much as you may not want to believe, alot of Section 8 houses are abused and littered with trash).
Yes taking care of children is a job but YOU decided to have those children. Last time I checked abortion, adoption, birth control, and condoms were not outlawed. If you can afford to become a stay at home mom then go for it because it will be much cheaper than paying for day care, but don't cry about it when someone says something negative about it. I work at a company where there are several women pregnant. They go out on maternity leave and then come back to work. If they earn more than their husbands then the husband may stay at home with the children OR they have a family member babysit. There are alternatives. Also in regards to the comment about homeless families, yes I know their are homeless families and forgive me if I am not the first one to bust out my wallet for the grown men and women I see who stand in front of fast food places ALL DAY begging for change. My thoughts on that is if you have enough stamina to stand up all day and beg you should have that same stamina to go to the Salvation Army, get cleaned up and get some clean clothes to go fill out an application. The children are the innocent victims but honestly in all of my 27 years I have never seen a homeless child. They may be taken into foster care or a group home and I am sure if the selfish homeless parents did that then everything would be fine. The problem is if society wants to take care of the child they also have to take care of the parents (look at the current situation with NJFamily Care the president doesn't mind covering the children for healthcare he just doesn't want to foot the bill for the able bodied parents).
Section 8 is FOR LIFE you can actually move from state to state with that voucher. They call people for re-evaluations but in reality these people will never earn more than they have to in order to stay in the program. And you know what they may work and pay taxes but you know what they also get EIC every tax season for every qualifying child. That is an automatic $2k+ and the fact is that many don't contribute anywhere near that much in taxes per year. The fact of the matter is if you want to do better you will and you can, if you don't and are content in getting government assistance then you won't do better and the sad fact is your kids have a strong chance of continuing that cycle.
what are you talking about???? what does EIC to do with receiving sec8 and it seems to me that the homeless people with whom you have no regard with benefit from sec 8. You don't know what circumstances warranted people to be homeless........actually there are alot of people just 1 or 2 paychecks away from being homeless, and people who qualify for earned income credit are people of certain income (low) that's the one time a year those people maybe able to let's see.....catch up on past due bills, afford to put a down payment on a car so they don't have to catch the bus so no I don't have a problem with what other people qualify for and I don't more power to them.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:53 PM

6 posts, read 24,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam27 View Post
Section 8 Success story right here! When I was 19 (with a 4 year old son) my cousin called me early in the morning telling me that there was a "Section 8 Line" that we would have stand in for hours, in order to sign up for Section 8. Needless to say...I wasn't very interested. She practically drug me out of bed to go. And it turns out that that was one of the best things I've done to better my life.

I was able to remove myself and my son from "The Hood", and a very negative environment; to a more positive one. I remember my rent being just $12!! But at the same time, I was in college and not working much. Section 8 allowed me to be able to focus on school and get good grades, instead of having to work full time in order to pay full rent. I really think that if I wouldn't have had Section 8, I would have not finished college because of the negative environment that my son and I were in. I would have just worked my behind off to get us a better place to live, and probably would have never had time for school.

I graduated from Temple U when I was 25 and now...2 years later, I have a great job with a great salary, and I'm about to close on my first condo!! I'll be saying bye bye to Section 8 on February 25th when I close. So all in all, I think that Section 8 is a good thing for those who plan to use it to better their lives. BUT, I'd say about 85% of the people who are on Section 8 are not using it for that reason. I have friends and know people from "The Hood" that are having babies and purposely loosing their jobs just so that their rent will be lower. That's not right. I think there should be a 5 year limit on Section 8. I mean, I did it in 5 years...so it's definitely possible.
The new section 8 that opened back up in New York in January 2007 I think is only for 5 years. If you can't get your s*it together in that 5 years your s*it out of luck. That's more then enough time to get your life straight and save up some money so that you can pay your own rent. Go to school get a job do what you have to do to fix your life. I'm all for section 8 but the people who abuse it anger me because they have made it bad for the decent honest people who are on section 8. I no people who are married and who's husbands make good money that are receiving section 8 and only paying $129 rent a month.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:06 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,464,837 times
Oh Good Lord - for the people that think it is so great to live on Food Stamps, get Section 8 housing etc. why don't you just make sure you qualify then? It shouldn't be that hard to do & since you think it is such a picnic, why not?

Old 03-05-2008, 09:44 PM

562 posts, read 2,616,165 times
it's not a good thing.. people become dependent on it and don't have the need to better themselves.. that's just my OPINION!

Old 03-06-2008, 06:42 AM

438 posts, read 965,709 times
zzzzzzzzzzzzz
for all the hidden racial reasons behind everyone's opinions on Section 8, at the end of the day these people are HUMAN BEINGS and they deserve help. Although I think some form of restriction has to be placed on people who make no effort whatsoever and no progress. What they should be, I have NO idea.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:12 AM

253 posts, read 1,267,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDChase View Post
Have to agree with Mike on this one. Just another way for people to get something for nothing and learn to depends on others and the government.

section 8 is not good, sure it serves a purpose but the whole system could use a good revamp.
I agree. Actually I hate section 8. I hear you only really benefit from it if you make little to no money.

so it's a comfort to know that if you lose your job, they got you covered and landlords can jack up the rent knowing their money is guaranteed. It's bad all around.

So Julia is making 30k a year and having to pay $700 a month on a $1300 apartment. She gets fired and is now making $12,000 a year and paying $12 for rent. It's a darn shame.

I hate section 8.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:37 AM

562 posts, read 2,616,165 times
one of my old tenants actually applied for section 8 and was approved, he has 2 kids with his ex-wife and 4 kids with his current.. he said he'll never thought of using section 8 or welfare.. but he had no choice and that he'll only do it for 6 months to get back on his feet.. so 4 years later he came to me and said that he was upset b/c apparently the social worker had messed up his paper work and checks were late.. his attitude was so disguisting to me.. he felt that the Government owed this to him, his exact words were "they have to give me the assistance, or else who will", not to mentioned that he was doing sales and bouncer work which paid him in cash!!.. they were living in a 1500. dollar apt, drove a new luxury SUV, and constantly ate out..

my thoughts were how can you have so many kids if you cannot support them, how can you expect the govt to paid for your rent and utilities, if you have no money how can you drive a luxury vehicle and eat out constantly.. they don't even think about saving the money.. but just live of the govt..

my MAJOR question is.. How come the social workers don't look deeper and only give it to people who really need the assistance.. visit the people at least once before throwing money at them.. study each case individually.. but then again this means that someone would have to do their homework.. lol..

many of this people receivin section 8 live in better conditions than those who work hard for their money..

oh well.. just my 2 cents..

Old 03-06-2008, 12:02 PM

253 posts, read 1,267,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar41 View Post
many of this people receivin section 8 live in better conditions than those who work hard for their money..
oh well.. just my 2 cents..
Well said. I mean, section 8 doesn't benefit you at all unless you make under a certain amount - and then because your income is so low what are your options for survival? Move the girlfriend, boyfriend, and the whole "crew" in so that you can afford the plasma and HDTV that you otherwise would not be able to.

Oh wait, now that you qualify for section 8, you probably qualify for childcare assistance, utility assistance, and if you're lucky enough you may qualify for foodstamps, and the 1 dollar a day car insurance that medicaid offers.

WHY WOULD ANYBODY WANT TO GET OFF SECTION 8???? They're basically paying you to stay on. If you lose your job, your rent goes down. What a world!!!

Did you read ("jehovahgirl's) post..... if she makes 30thousand a year which is all of $14.00 she'll get a home in section 8 with her 2 kids and phlebotomy certificate.

I shouldn't have to pay for somebody else's bad choices. The system sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey