Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 03:28 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,719,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyM View Post
I'm headed out to SC end of Feb and I can't wait! I can actually make a better salary there than in NJ for what I do (IT), and the cost of living is 1/4th of what it costs here.

I used to love NJ....but it's gotten so corrupt, and yes, the percentage of nasty people have grown exponentially in the last 10 yrs. In Delaware, my brother pays $400/yr for his 3 bd 2 bth 2000 sq ft home on half acre. Here in NJ, he had a tiny 3 bedrm 1 ba ranch home with no property and paid $4000/yr property taxes. Now, not only were there no state taxes in DE, but there were also NO POTHOLES IN THE ROADS. Whereas in NJ, some of the road are atrocious. So, my question is, just where is our tax money going cuz it certainly ain't going where it's supposed to be going.

THAT my friend, is why people are leaving NJ.
Nancy, congratulations on your upcoming move. I agree with every point you made, i.e. cost of living in NJ, corruption, etc. Just be aware, (as I'm sure you already are), that the south can be very different from the north and that there are many things that you will miss about New Jersey once you're down here. (As I've found out since moving south.)
Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 04:35 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,672,071 times
Why I left NJ:

I realized how much money I was giving to those I hate with a passion (the government) and saw how little I was getting in return for my hard earned money. And how much more I can get with the same money anyplace else.

$5000/yr property taxes on a 900 sq ft home

$4800/yr car insurance

$$$$$ and more $$$$$$ based on how many times the cops gave you a ticket.

Buildings that went up where when complete, had 1000 new employees working there. All those additional cars on the only one lane feeder road and the state or country did not require the Builder to do any road improvements but to paint a new turn lane.

Towns that allowed a Builder to rezone by way if variance by asking the Builder to give the town a new fire truck or add a tiny park in return for the variance.

The prices of homes 2nd lowest only to California.

No or very little chance for young people to ever realize the dream of owning a home.

Rude New York left lane drivers who refuse to move right.

Rude New Yorkers.

Rude Jerseyans.

New Yorkers filling up NJ State Parks by 6AM so the locals can never get in.

Hypodermic needles and tampons on the beachs. Thanks NY.

Removing waste barrels from all state parks and handing people a plastic bag to take their trash home with them. Yet raising the entrance fee again.

$2000 to rent a 10Yd dumpster.

Hiking along the Passiac River, throwing a rock into it and it does not even splash.

The unsightly ponds all along the NJTP. Better known as the worlds largest petroleum reserves. And it smells so pretty.

Trying to get on the GSP on a weekend going south when your destination is NOT the shore.

Toll booths.

No tresspassing signs everywhere.

The fact that New Jersey sold the 30' tall Santa to China. The one that used to sit on the corner of Rt 1 and Gills Lane in the Menlo Park Mall. There is one to test your age.
------------------------------------------

The good things I miss about New Jersey:

Big Stoshes in Linden

Englishtown Auction

Whitemans Farms in Morristown

Delicious Orchards in Colts Neck

Lake Hopatcong (I think I miss my lake most of all)

Sandy Hook and the Twin Lights

Historic Smithville in South NJ

Stokes State Forest

Pequest Fish Hatchery and a short trip over to Johnnys Hot Dogs in Buttsville

Boating in Raritan Bay and Navisink River and of course fishing and crabbing

Spruce Run and Round Valley

Watchung Reservation in Union

Brigantine National Wildlife Refuge

Climbing to the highest point in High Point State Park

Seaside Heights in the 70s (dont know what its like now)

Being able to buy a good bagel anywhere

Having White Castle rat burgers

These are the things I loved to do, eat or see most.
The last and final good thing about NJ is the memories.
I will never go back to live but do enjoy visiting.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:23 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,393,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
The fact that New Jersey sold the 30' tall Santa to China. The one that used to sit on the corner of Rt 1 and Gills Lane in the Menlo Park Mall. There is one to test your age.
------------------------------------------
Woodbridge Center is at Rt 1 and Gill Lane- Menlo Park is a few miles down the road. I spent 30 of the last 35 years living in Woodbridge Township, and I don't remember that Santa- was it at Gill Lane or at Menlo (I don't remember it at either actually)?

Old 01-15-2008, 05:29 PM

18 posts, read 108,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Woodbridge Center is at Rt 1 and Gill Lane- Menlo Park is a few miles down the road. I spent 30 of the last 35 years living in Woodbridge Township, and I don't remember that Santa- was it at Gill Lane or at Menlo (I don't remember it at either actually)?
It was Menlo used to have it on the corner or Parsonage and cant remember the street but its the light before Rt1

Old 01-15-2008, 05:56 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,899,841 times
Why do I stay? Because there isn't anywhere else I'd rather live. You see I've been to a lot of places...about 30 of the 50 states. I've found places that are beautiful not to say that I don't think NJ is beautiful because it is...but it's mostly about the people, the diversity, the proximity to so many things. I can't think of a better place to raise my daughter. She will have a good education. She will be exposed to a diverse group of people who actually know what a bagel is and that pizza doesn't only come from Dominos.

VT is beautiful but have you gotten to know the people there? I have a cousins that bought an Inn in NH and quickly found themselves among some very cold, unfriendly people.

With all the corruption and the taxes in NJ I look at other places and see that they aren't different, we are simply leading the pack.

Good luck on your decision...and remember, if you do leave and then change your mind and want to come back we'll be here to welcome you!

Old 01-15-2008, 06:08 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,672,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
The road you would make a right onto before Menlo Park Mall while going south on 1. That old Santa was right in The old Bambergers Parking lot. There was also a Diner just up from that. I think that is gone now too.

That very south east corner. Across the street is a White Castle. Your right Gill Lane is Woodbridge Center. That is not it.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:59 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,792,483 times
My family (husband, two kids 18 and 16) are off to Oklahoma at the end of February. We've already have a house there that will close on Jan. 31. The main reason we're leaving is the same reason people have traveled to new areas throughout time. To give our kids a better life. They could never afford to buy a house in New Jersey, and most people I know are working more than one job to keep home and hearth together. I don't want that for my kids. We visited Oklahoma and liked it. I've already met wonderful, friendly people on the OK forum. Also, all of my husband's siblings have left NJ, as well as my brother. My sister is headed out next year when her husband retires. We didn't want to be the ones to put out the lights.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:00 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,411,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
BWAAAHAHAHAHAAA! For some, it really seems to be the main reason. There are those, who left NJ and are going back for exactly that same reason!
Or maybe to get away from the sounds of race cars, southern drawls, and escape to a place where the number one attraction isn't some bloated shopping mall.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:22 PM

1,334 posts, read 2,995,039 times
Whats the point in leaving? What am I going to save, 10 g's a year? And as a trade off have Opie and Goober as my new neighbors. Friendly people, who needs em? I never even knew my old next door neighbors name. I think it was Sam. All we ever said to each other was "how are you doing?". I like it that way.

NJ is the big league's. The competition is fierce. Its tough and getting tougher. I Like that too. I notice a lot of the weeker one's who got weeded out all come back here and tell us how great there live's are now that they left NJ. Kind of makes you wonder why?

Old 01-16-2008, 04:39 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,393,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Or maybe to get away from the sounds of race cars, southern drawls, and escape to a place where the number one attraction isn't some bloated shopping mall.
Ohh please....I know you're unhappy with your time in NC, but let's not paint the whole south with such a broad brush- that's like saying that NJ is just a bunch of guidos with gold chains and wifebeaters who spend their days sitting in front of Satriale's.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey