Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 02:15 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,980,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
There are homes with solar panels.

I haven't checked the by-laws, but I'm guessing those are ok.

Either why, this is is going to get ugly Just not sure how far I'm going to take this if it needs to
to go court.

Just hoping that the HOA does it's homework on the law and to realize my next step is going to the Asbury Park Press newspaper.

Nothing like a good patriotic story to get the people riled up.
Your HOA by-laws say "NO FLAGS" or "NO GROUND FLAGPOLES"? Are you allowed to hang a flag from the front of your house, using one of those front porch bracket doohickey things?

Then the by-law isn't really about the American flag, or patriotism. It's just about the ground flagpole, i.e., it's typical HOA anal retentive power tripping about uniform lawns and protecting the holy sanctity of the grass...which is eye roll-inducing, but that's what happens when you choose to live under an HOA. If you are, indeed, allowed to hang the flag from your front porch, then section 4(2) doesn't really apply here, I don't think, because the HOA isn't trying to stop you from flying the American flag...they're just trying to stop you from having a flagpole in your grass.

I have an HOA also and our by-laws were amended to say "ONLY AMERICAN FLAGS" (i.e, no Jets/Giants flags, or seasonal decoration flags, etc. etc.). But we still have the same old restrictions about how/where we can display the flag. Not really surprising, considering the by-laws also have laughable, nitpicky crap in them like "NO WINDCHIMES".

Also, if you are going to write a letter to the Asbury Park Press, I would ask the mods to have this thread deleted, if I were you. Because if your letter gets published, the assorted looney tunes on this forum will have your full name and address.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 02:28 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,890,245 times
HOAs are for sucks. What a waste of everyone's time.

Old 02-24-2017, 02:34 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,742,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
HOAs are for sucks. What a waste of everyone's time.

I'll never live with -in another ever again.

Old 02-24-2017, 02:40 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,841,483 times
i have an HOA. for the most part, i dont have many complaints. the biggest annoyance is this one wrinkly old hag that goes around looking for random little violations and then you get a complaint from the management company. (usually they arent even right) that really only has happened a few times but i hate that lady. my HOA fees have been the same for over 7 years now and the community is well taken care of. its easy low maintenance living. ive been happy with it.

Old 02-24-2017, 04:35 PM

11,396 posts, read 16,787,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
Your HOA by-laws say "NO FLAGS" or "NO GROUND FLAGPOLES"? Are you allowed to hang a flag from the front of your house, using one of those front porch bracket doohickey things?

Then the by-law isn't really about the American flag, or patriotism. It's just about the ground flagpole, i.e., it's typical HOA anal retentive power tripping about uniform lawns and protecting the holy sanctity of the grass...which is eye roll-inducing, but that's what happens when you choose to live under an HOA. If you are, indeed, allowed to hang the flag from your front porch, then section 4(2) doesn't really apply here, I don't think, because the HOA isn't trying to stop you from flying the American flag...they're just trying to stop you from having a flagpole in your grass.

I have an HOA also and our by-laws were amended to say "ONLY AMERICAN FLAGS" (i.e, no Jets/Giants flags, or seasonal decoration flags, etc. etc.). But we still have the same old restrictions about how/where we can display the flag. Not really surprising, considering the by-laws also have laughable, nitpicky crap in them like "NO WINDCHIMES".

Also, if you are going to write a letter to the Asbury Park Press, I would ask the mods to have this thread deleted, if I were you. Because if your letter gets published, the assorted looney tunes on this forum will have your full name and address.
Correct, I can have a flagpole attached to the house. The by-laws state no in ground flag pole.

The current flagpole isn't in the grass where the HOA maintenance could be a concern, but in my flower bed which the maintenance is my responsibility.

My son said screw them. Create a concrete pad in the flower bed and mount an above ground sleeve. The flagpole now would not be in the ground, but in the sleeve. Figured that would really **** the HOA off.

Old 02-24-2017, 05:07 PM

33,016 posts, read 36,575,202 times
I likes the way he thinks.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:35 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,890,245 times
The other question is how big can the flagpole attached to the house be? Or, alternatively, if it's attached to the house with a support in the flowerbed, does that count?

Old 02-26-2017, 07:16 PM

11,396 posts, read 16,787,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
The other question is how big can the flagpole attached to the house be? Or, alternatively, if it's attached to the house with a support in the flowerbed, does that count?
Pretty sure 6' attached to the house.

Here's a kicker....The by laws state the flag can't be bigger than 3x5 which is the size that I have. My neighbor 2 houses down, just put up a house attached flagpole and the flag is 4x6..LOL

Old 02-26-2017, 10:49 PM

33,016 posts, read 36,575,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Pretty sure 6' attached to the house.

Here's a kicker....The by laws state the flag can't be bigger than 3x5 which is the size that I have. My neighbor 2 houses down, just put up a house attached flagpole and the flag is 4x6..LOL
Maybe they'll start looking at that person and lose interest in you.

I wouldn't care. This is supposed to be the land of the free (stop laughing) and the home of the brave.

Old 02-26-2017, 11:03 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,302,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i have an HOA. for the most part, i dont have many complaints. the biggest annoyance is this one wrinkly old hag that goes around looking for random little violations and then you get a complaint from the management company. (usually they arent even right) that really only has happened a few times but i hate that lady. my HOA fees have been the same for over 7 years now and the community is well taken care of. its easy low maintenance living. ive been happy with it.
I guess if she were beautiful and 21 years of age, you wouldn't have a problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey