Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 09:49 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times

Advertisements

I usually close and lock the windows when I leave the house. I have left a window open upstairs when I was only going to be gone for a very short time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 12:28 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,227,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Anytime I hear someone say they don't lock their windows or doors I think about that mom in Millburn a couple of years ago that was brutally assaulted in front of her child and it was captured on a security camera. It may not be a common occurrence, but why take the risk? What's to be gained from leaving your doors or windows unlocked?
But he smashed his way into the house. He didn't walk in through an open door.

Everyone has to determine the level of risk they're comfortable with. I'm in much more danger driving on Route 22 than sitting at home with the door unlocked.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:57 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,289,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Get a dog.

Most of my friends and neighbors and I don't bother locking the door or closing windows when we go out for short errands, especially during the day. But we live in an area where the houses are pretty close together and anyone breaking in would be noticed. If I lived on an acre with distant neighbors who couldn't hear me scream, I might be more careful. Or maybe not. I'm not a worrier. Can't be bothered.
Yeah, those few seconds can really eat into your day.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:11 AM

522 posts, read 992,718 times
Quote:

He smashed the backdoor right? Probably the basement door or something in the backyard, right? And I think he probably saw the husband leaving and then made the move I think.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:37 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,148,203 times
Whenever I read about a house or car being broken into, there is one common denominator - a door or window was left unlocked. My local police dept. constantly sends out emails telling people to lock their doors and windows. If you choose to be lazy and not do that, that's fine, just don't be complaining when someone breaks in. It is often the "nice" neighborhoods that are targeted because they have the nicer cars, nicer jewelry, money, etc.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:50 AM

4,031 posts, read 3,640,995 times
Quote:

Everyone has to determine the level of risk they're comfortable with. I'm in much more danger driving on Route 22 than sitting at home with the door unlocked.

The only point I was trying to make with that reference is that bad things happen in safe neighborhoods. No need to add risk by leaving things unlocked. It doesn't matter what your risk tolerance is. Locking your doors is not a lengthy or burdensome task.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:15 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,227,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Yeah, those few seconds can really eat into your day.
I'm not leaving my doors and windows unlocked to save time when I'm running a 30-minute errand. It's because I feel my area is safe, my house is very visible, and I can't be bothered to live with that level of fear. Also, I have dogs. Maybe some day something awful will happen and I'll regret it, but as we saw with the Millburn break-in, that sort of thing can happen no matter what precautions you take. I guess if you were really worried about safety, you'd get a gun, right? How many people here have a gun?

Old 06-28-2017, 03:09 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
I guess if you were really worried about safety, you'd get a gun, right? How many people here have a gun?
How would a gun protect the homeowner and his/her home when the homeowner leaves the house?

Old 06-28-2017, 04:34 PM

807 posts, read 1,033,531 times
Yes. But only because I'm afraid a bear will get in.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:39 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,748,737 times
living in a nice neighborhood means your a target. And if your windows are open, thats an easy win. Dont give the criminals an easy in. Lock your windows and give them a reason to keep driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey