Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 07:41 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,494,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
my plan is to do anything within my power to make sure that my children dont move far away. if that means buying them houses nearby then i will buy them houses nearby.
Yep same here There might be nice down payments available for those who stay in NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 07:45 AM

The way you try to keep your kids in NJ is this...You make sure they go to a college (if that's the path they choose) where they won't stray too far. If your kid goes to school in another state, your chances go way down that they ever come back. You need them to meet a nice Jersey boy or girl to up your chances.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:45 AM

123 posts, read 181,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
If that is where my kid is yes
Well that's your answer. Stay in NJ until your kids learn about "stifling property taxes, etc." And then off to Kazakhstan, or Libya, or wherever.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:54 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,314,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lallen1 View Post
Hi all, just curious what people would do. Anyone in this situation, or anyone who has done this and what has your experience been?
We just moved back to New Jersey after being away for 10 years in an affordable, thriving area--Texas. We followed our kids back here because were tired of Texas, and we have never been apart as a family, but now we regret doing this because we know how much better it can be elsewhere without all the stifling property taxes, etc. They have not learned this yet, as they are young and renting right now.
We would love to go to NC but there is not a chance our kids would (ever) come with us, they don't like it there and they want to stay here, so we are torn. Any thoughts, suggestions, experience? Thanks.
Recently emigrated from New Jersey. Now in Pennsylvania.
Half of our adult children live in New Jersey. But "educate" them sooner rather than later. Most of ours are already seeking alternatives — and the prime choice is Pennsylvania.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachbeach View Post
My parents did it in 1985~left NJ; the taxes, the crowds, the traffic etc. Left both of us, my brother in eastern PA and me in NJ.
Look in eastern PA or Delaware; huge difference in taxes, still close enough to visit frequently. You should live where you want to live, not where your children want you to live.
Good advice, thank you. I heard the same drummer regarding taxes, crowds, traffic, etc; and don't forget housing costs. For me, that's even a bigger issue than taxes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
As in my case it's not where kids want us but where Grandma wants to be,big difference.
That's why we chose PA instead of TN (runner-up) or FL (close third).
• GRANDMA and grandpa want to be close to the grandchildren — who are now and likely will remain in NJ. And if grandma ain't happy, grandpa ain't either.
• And even though our kids are adults, they still need us close by. "Family life" didn't end when they turned 18.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lallen1 View Post
Thank you all for your responses. We can't move to PA because my husband isn't licensed in his profession to work there. I am not from NJ so don't care to stay, my husband is from here but neither one of us wanted to come back to the high cost of housing/tax burden situation again, but here we are. We will check into other suggestions like Delaware, etc. Thank you everyone!
Licensed: Neither am I. Maybe he can solve his problem creatively?
My business address is still across the river in NJ. Goodbye licensing problem!

Housing Prices: I call it the Rule of 80.
Moving 80 minutes away (from Wayne, NJ) along Interstate 80 cuts housing prices by 80%! For example, a house costing $750K in Wayne, NJ goes for about $150K here, and the property taxes are about a third.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:54 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,864,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
The way you try to keep your kids in NJ is this...You make sure they go to a college (if that's the path they choose) where they won't stray too far. If your kid goes to school in another state, your chances go way down that they ever come back. You need them to meet a nice Jersey boy or girl to up your chances.
Not true. I went to college in Pittsburgh, settled in Chicago for a few years and then ended up in New York. It's where the work takes you afterwards, not necessarily where you go to college.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:03 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,717,395 times
My husband did just that to me 2 years ago, moved us to south west FL.
Shortly after moving there he was diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer, I dealt with that for 13 months totally ALONE, no family, no friends. Yes, the kids came but they had their lives, children and jobs so it was hit or miss, a few days here a few days there.

He has since passed, I have been in NJ for last 4 months, after looking around, yeah more than likely could handle a small ranch but I can think of better things to do with my money.

As soon as this dam hurricane passes I will be going back to FL to list my property.
I've rented for Nov a great apartment in Sneads Ferry NC, much much more affordable, renting first to really check out area.
One days drive to NJ if I choose to drive versus flying.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
Not true. I went to college in Pittsburgh, settled in Chicago for a few years and then ended up in New York. It's where the work takes you afterwards, not necessarily where you go to college.
Of course. I'm talking chances

Let's just put it this way...you have a higher chance of your kid marrying someone from NJ if they go to Rutgers

Old 09-06-2017, 09:32 AM

I never get why people don't look at South Jersey more for retirement. There are some nice 55 and overs down there and the taxes are extremely reasonable. Versus going further south.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:41 AM

723 posts, read 570,516 times
Life is short - I think you should live where you want to live, where you will be happiest, and where you can comfortably afford.

These days, young families do not put down roots and stay in one place like they used to. Careers and other factors will require multiple moves, often across the country or even internationally. What are you going to do, follow your kids every time they relocate?

Nowadays, you and they have Skype and other options for keeping in touch.

If you liked TX, move back and be happy!

Old 09-06-2017, 09:50 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,864,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Of course. I'm talking chances

Let's just put it this way...you have a higher chance of your kid marrying someone from NJ if they go to Rutgers
Looking at the statistics, not so much. Moreso if it was BYU or other religious school or a college in the South.
https://www.dailydot.com/irl/faceboo...lmate-college/

I know very few people who married the person they dated in college. Neither my wife nor I are from NJ but we ended up here because, again, this is where our professions brought us. There are just more opportunities for people looking for jobs here, that's why peoples kids stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey