Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 03:17 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You want the state to go into the parking lot business?

You do understand that the parking lots at NJT are operated by the towns in most cases, right? In more urban areas like Newark and Jersey City, the lots are privately owned and operated, as is the one by Secaucus Junction. They charge what the market will bear.

Not sure what you mean by the Newark/Secaucus remark. Most trains that go to Newark also do go to Secaucus, with a few exceptions.
You probably didn't know that parking at Secaucus Junction costs $23 a day at peak. Without the town allowing for additional parking lots nearby the prices goes up whatever the lot feels they can charge. It doesnt help the transit commute situation.

All these towns do is gouge parking prices like property taxes.if there was a centralized state run parking lot it would effect their prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack2000 View Post
I don't think that local officials are concerned with managing large scale transportation networks. Building extra capacity to meet the demands of a growing population is the job of the transit authority, and it requires substantial public investment. I think that's the issue we have here.
Fiefdom mentality. While Europe and Asia runs mass transit like utility companies. In America, it's becoming barely affordable.

Old 06-07-2018, 04:14 PM

88,606 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Paris is pretty congested and France is heavily unionized. Yet for the same cost as building a few miles of new subway line in the U.S., they are building several new lines, almost 60 stations and more than 120 miles of track. And the entire project will be done, more or less, in about 15 years. Maybe we should be doing something like this.

I get frustrated being told there is nothing to be done about our collapsing infrastructure besides band aids and incremental improvements. Bringing our infrastructure into the modern era is just as important as the space race was in the 60's. I can't believe we don't have the money for it. We just need the political will.

https://www.thetransportpolitic.com/...w-metro-lines/
That's exactly it. The political will.

Old 06-07-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
You probably didn't know that parking at Secaucus Junction costs $23 a day at peak. Without the town allowing for additional parking lots nearby the prices goes up whatever the lot feels they can charge. It doesnt help the transit commute situation.

All these towns do is gouge parking prices like property taxes.if there was a centralized state run parking lot it would effect their prices.
Why wouldn't I know that? I've parked there many times, as recently as last month. And maybe tomorrow.

Old 06-07-2018, 04:21 PM

31 posts, read 38,200 times
I just moved to JC, so I guess I'm contributing to the problem. Don't hate me !

I've been taking the 33rd st train from Grove St. Why is the train so slow?
Right after it departs Newport, the trains slows to crawling pace.
It's also extremely slow right before it arrives at Newport on the return route.

Old 06-07-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
PATH uses a smaller gauge, part of the main problem as a result of taking over train lines from 110 years ago. So we'd have to widen the tunnels. I see the Gateway project as staggeringly more likely to happen, it's cheaper to just build a new one than to shunt traffic over on weekends, work for about 24 hours, then clean everything up and wait five more days.
PATH is "standard gauge", 4'8-1/2", same as NJ Transit. It is a heavy rail system.

Widening the tunnels would be difficult, because they aren't actually tunnels like the Bergen Tunnels used to get from NJ to Penn that are actually bored beneath the riverbed. The PATH "tubes" are iron rings that lie on top of the riverbed.

The Gateway project has to happen.

Old 06-07-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
To use an electrical grid analogy, in San Diego, in house staff carry the base load while consultants are brought in like peaker plants. That's to preclude hiring more permanent full time public employees, that will be difficult to lay off during lean years.

Our problem is that it can take years for even basic projects to work their way through the Purchasing and Contracting department. It's brutally slow.

Same here. The government got some sweet deals during 2008-2010, but missed out on many others because Purchasing and Contracting couldn't move fast enough to take advantage of them.
I wonder why. Sometimes things slowed down in my procurement department, but that usually had more to do with the hurry-up-and-wait attitude of the client and/or the management/board suddenly deciding that project B took precedence over project A.

Now that I'm on the private side, we're waiting to hear about a proposal that seems to be hung up somewhere. Unfortunately, procurement is not allowed to discuss this stuff with consultants, especially consultants who used to be their coworkers.

Old 06-07-2018, 04:39 PM

19,134 posts, read 25,345,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The Gateway project has to happen.

Now if only somebody could effectively communicate that need to the tRump administration, we might be able to receive the federal funding that is necessary, and that we richly deserve.

Old 06-07-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelM View Post
I just moved to JC, so I guess I'm contributing to the problem. Don't hate me !

I've been taking the 33rd st train from Grove St. Why is the train so slow?
Right after it departs Newport, the trains slows to crawling pace.
It's also extremely slow right before it arrives at Newport on the return route.
Because it's a junction train, it carries people from JSQ to 33rd. PA doesn't have enough trains to run frequent 33rd trains. I used to take it and while waiting for it to leave JSQ, there must be atleast 3 different WTC trains passing by before 33rd train decides to go and then it has to wait for the WTC to pass by.

Again, the problem is single track per direction is the issue. It's not like NYC Subways when local/express trains can easily switch tracks when the line is backed up. PATH can only use opposite track in an emergency and on weekends it does single track.

Too much ridership too little tracks to handle the volume.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:40 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,999,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
The article has lots of truth but is also leaving out an interesting trend. The Millennials are starting to drift into the marriage and kids years and are moving back into suburbia for the usual reasons - cheaper real estate with more space and better schools. Eventually, there will be increased demand for work space in the suburbs. These older buildings need to be updated or replaced. The towns are panicking and are trying to convert these office complexes into housing - and here is the kicker - this puts even more stress on the underfunded mass transit systems and roads.

In Montvale, NJ, there are currently has about 2900 households and there is approval to add 615 new housing units on former office park property. This is a 21% increase in housing. The Mt Laurel ruling is also involved as 106 of the 615 new units are for affordable housing obligations.

Without any central planning, this craziness will continue. Huge housing increases without a matching increase in mass transit and road capacity is going to be an even bigger problem. Mass transit commutes are only going to get worse, forcing companies to reconsider suburban office parks again.
Mt Laurel doctrine is a cancer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey