Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 03:31 PM

2 posts, read 26,473 times

Advertisements

New JErsey seems to be the obvious choice for people working in mid-town and down-town Manhattan areas. I lived in the towns of Hudson county. Very nice place to live. Towns have easy access to Path train stations which is a direct stop at Manhattan for just $1.50 each way. There is obviously no need of car and its related costs. If you are single or family there are town houses that you can rent for $1000 and up. All stores are walkable. I just loved to walk around the corner to my favorite Italian restaurant. Cab service is just $5 to get around the towns of Hudson county. Great place to live if you frequently travel. EWR/JFK/LGA are all a jump away. I live in another state now but I would like to move back again if my husband finds a job in Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2006, 05:22 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,778,572 times
Depends on what you want to spend and what type of lifestyle you would like to have here.

Old 12-15-2006, 08:10 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,707 times
You must be kidding especially when you speak of 'those great' houses you can rent for $1,000.. Wouldn't want to live in any of those neighborhoods. Try $2,000 a month and up for an apartment within 1 hour commute of midtown (still beats paying $3,000 a month for a one bedroom in Manahttan)

In JC Heights which is not prime Jersey City, a one bedroom apartment costs at least $1,500 a month and unlike many other places, Heat / Hot Water & Parking is NEVER included in the rent and the owners always get amnesia when you ask what the average monthly PSE&G bill will be.

Old 12-15-2006, 10:40 PM

202 posts, read 993,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
You must be kidding especially when you speak of 'those great' houses you can rent for $1,000.. Wouldn't want to live in any of those neighborhoods. Try $2,000 a month and up for an apartment within 1 hour commute of midtown (still beats paying $3,000 a month for a one bedroom in Manahttan)
Enough already with your unrealistic rental posts. All you do is look at rentals in expensive luxury buildings and complain that rents are too high.

There's plenty of great 1-BR apartments available in NJ in the $1200 range within an hour of Manhattan. On top of that, there are plenty of 1-BR apartments in the $2400 range in Manhattan that are very nice.

Buying a house is expensive in NJ; renting is still relatively cheap.

Old 12-16-2006, 05:31 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,778,572 times
I wouldn't say cheap but I only pay $835.00 and have a great apartment in a nice neighborhood and NYC is a ferry ride away.

Old 10-14-2012, 05:05 PM

1 posts, read 13,463 times
Default Work in Manhattan

We are thinking about taking a job in Manhattan and we live in Texas . Where would be a good place for a family to live and commute to city? There are four of us, so we would need something big enough for everyone. We are a nice middle class family, so a sense of community would be nice.

Old 10-14-2012, 05:21 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgirl1965 View Post
We are thinking about taking a job in Manhattan and we live in Texas . Where would be a good place for a family to live and commute to city? There are four of us, so we would need something big enough for everyone. We are a nice middle class family, so a sense of community would be nice.
I really think that you would be better-served by starting a new thread, rather than by glomming onto a thread that is almost 6 years old, but...for starters...you really need to tell us what your monthly housing budget is. "Big", "nice", and "sense of community" are all well and good, but at the end of the day, how much you can afford to pay for housing will dictate where you can live in the NY Metro area.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:52 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgirl1965 View Post
As Retriever said, we need to know more about what your needs are and what your budget is to make helpful recommendations. New Jersey has nearly 600 cities towns and villages. We need to know how to help you narrow the field. Take a look at this thread, which has some questions for folks relocating to New Jersey: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...residents.html

A few things to consider:

Are both of you working? Are both working in Manhattan? Where in Manhattan (midtown? lower?)

How do you want to commute (train, bus, drive, ?)

What is your maximum tolerance for commute time door-to-door?

What do you and your family enjoy doing in spare time (i.e., do you want to be closer to beaches or hiking?)

Would you prefer a traditional "main street" town or a more modern subdivision?

Do you prefer urban, suburban, semi-rural?

What does "big enough for everyone" mean? Judging by what I see on HGTV (this isn't scientific, I know), a typical family in NJ gets by with much less square footage than a typical family in TX. A monster house is going to cost BIG bucks here. You might have to compromise space or give up an ideal location. What do you really need?

Are you planning to rent first or buy right away?

And most importantly, what is your budget? NJ is expensive!!! And don't forget that depending on the type/age/location/value of the house, property taxes can add anywhere from a few hundred to $2K per month to your payments.

You might want to start a new thread outlining your situation and needs, and folks will reply with recommendations.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:29 AM

1 posts, read 12,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I wouldn't say cheap but I only pay $835.00 and have a great apartment in a nice neighborhood and NYC is a ferry ride away.
Hi Rapture. Where is this neighborhood? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey