Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2019, 03:39 PM

4 posts, read 14,557 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone my husband and I are looking for a house in Cranford zoned to Hillside Ave school. We have 2 kids, one in elementary and one in middle school. For some reason Hillside is rated 6/10 on multiple school rating sites. I understand all cranford schools are great, can someone explain the low rating? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 12:28 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,730,041 times
Would you go to a bad town that has a school rating of 9/10 or a good town with a school rating of 6/10?

A lot of these school ratings are subjective and based on made up metrics. Without some avg test scores of kids you can't judge many school ratings. I can give you a few school ratings with 9/10 and the neighborhoods are not desirable to own at all.

Look at the towns nearby zone high schools and ratings of schools in the town overall that should give a better picture.

Old 06-04-2019, 10:07 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,261,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Would you go to a bad town that has a school rating of 9/10 or a good town with a school rating of 6/10?

A lot of these school ratings are subjective and based on made up metrics. Without some avg test scores of kids you can't judge many school ratings. I can give you a few school ratings with 9/10 and the neighborhoods are not desirable to own at all.

Look at the towns nearby zone high schools and ratings of schools in the town overall that should give a better picture.
What are the made up metrics?
What schools in nj are rated 9 or 10 and in bad areas, other than selective academies where students need to apply so location is irrelevent.
Thanks

Old 06-04-2019, 11:31 AM

108 posts, read 152,392 times
My daughter lives in Cranford and from what she tells me the town may change what school your child will attend. Meaning that even though you live near the Hillside School your children may not attent

https://unionnewsdaily.com/headline-news/45537

Old 06-04-2019, 01:47 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,730,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
What are the made up metrics?
What schools in nj are rated 9 or 10 and in bad areas, other than selective academies where students need to apply so location is irrelevent.
Thanks
https://www.zillow.com/elizabeth-nj/...=31388&zoom=12

Elizabeth has 2 schools with 9 ratings. Nearby like Union, Springfield, Maplewood, Cranford, Garwood don't even have a single school rated 9. Many well to do towns don't even have a single school rated a 9 such as Montclair.

Old 06-05-2019, 12:16 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,873,441 times
Some of the metrics recently changed and Cranford gets dinged on diversity but the teachers are great and the schools are really, really good. Any rankings on any elementary schools should be taken with a huge grain of salt, there is very little scoring data to compare schools directly the way there is the SAT and graduation rates or things like that.

Hillside is just a large school with K-8, which is probably why it gets dinged in comparison to the K-2 and 3-5 and 6-8 schools in comparison. As someone else mentioned, the school district is attempting to consolidate schools and create a more equal distribution of teachers and students so Hillside would be more of a 6-8 instead of a K-8 but it's still very much up for debate and is probably 2-3 years out from actually being implemented.

Old 06-05-2019, 09:22 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,005,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
Some of the metrics recently changed and Cranford gets dinged on diversity but the teachers are great and the schools are really, really good. Any rankings on any elementary schools should be taken with a huge grain of salt, there is very little scoring data to compare schools directly the way there is the SAT and graduation rates or things like that.

Hillside is just a large school with K-8, which is probably why it gets dinged in comparison to the K-2 and 3-5 and 6-8 schools in comparison. As someone else mentioned, the school district is attempting to consolidate schools and create a more equal distribution of teachers and students so Hillside would be more of a 6-8 instead of a K-8 but it's still very much up for debate and is probably 2-3 years out from actually being implemented.
I've also heard HAS's lower scores relate to special ed student test scores, because though all schools have special ed programs of some sort, HAS seems to take the most and has a dedicated special education classroom and teachers. When I went there kids who should have gone to OAS (or the other smaller schools on the other side of town) were in the special ed class in HAS, when they had siblings not in special ed who were in OAS.

I can never get this confirmed, but this explanation flies around a lot in Cranford.

HAS is a great school with an excellent principal. It IS ranked lower than the other schools but other than that possible reason, I see no other logical explanation for it. It's not like the kids in that area or side of town are any worse than elsewhere in any way. It's baffled me honestly and unfortunately some people in Cranford are petty enough to use it in any way that suit their own agendas.

Old 06-10-2019, 09:07 PM

4 posts, read 14,557 times
thanks a lot for detail explanation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey