Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 12:33 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
The only problem is there aren't nearly enough private schools to go around. My neighbor tried to get his kid into a private school and he couldn't find any openings.
that is a problem that would be less of a problem if everyone had the opportunity to take the money from the public school system and spend it at a school of their choosing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
jesse's mind = blown

Old 06-10-2019, 01:07 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
jesse's mind = blown
Quote:
that is a problem that would be less of a problem if everyone had the opportunity to take the money from the public school system and spend it at a school of their choosing.
You want everyone to go to private schools and build more private schools and do away with public schools?

I'm also confused how a family saves $47k by getting $10k back to send their kid to private school.

Old 06-10-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
You want everyone to go to private schools and build more private schools and do away with public schools?

I'm also confused how a family saves $47k by getting $10k back to send their kid to private school.
i didnt say that. i said that i want people to have the option of using the money spent on their children for public school to be diverted to a private school if they choose to send their child to a private school.

i just used the highest number in the link of how much each town spends on schools ($57k) and then deducted it by the $10k that i said should be given for each student to go elsewhere. i wasnt really being serious; the savings will vary by what the town currently spends per child.

Old 06-10-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
i didnt say that. i said that i want people to have the option of using the money spent on their children for public school to be diverted to a private school if they choose to send their child to a private school.

i just used the highest number in the link of how much each town spends on schools ($57k) and then deducted it by the $10k that i said should be given for each student to go elsewhere. i wasnt really being serious; the savings will vary by what the town currently spends per child.
Private schools cost way more than $10k. And they don't have the same oversight as public schools. The better option is cost-cutting measures that consolidate administrative duties of small, adjacent school districts. Also, those with primary residences in one city should not be required to pay the full amount of property tax for their vacation home. For example, someone who lives in NYC or a nice NNJ suburb like Summit or in Philly who wants to own a shore house shouldn't have to pay the same exact percentage as someone who lives their year-round. They are not sending a student to the district's schools and are not using the school's resources whatsoever. I understand they have to pay property taxes for all other things like police, EMS, fire, etc., but instead of paying 100% of the property taxes that fund the schools, maybe just 1/2 or 2/3 the same in taxes.

There are ways to lower taxes in the state, NIMBY suburbanites just refuse to consider any of them, and/or their elected leadership knows their job is at risk if any of the cost-cutting measures were implemented.

Old 06-10-2019, 01:58 PM

173 posts, read 216,457 times
It's really interesting to see that (1) many of the better districts have relatively low spending per pupil and (2) Alpine and Saddle River spend tons notwithstanding having no high school (guess send/receive is marked up).

Old 06-10-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Private schools cost way more than $10k. And they don't have the same oversight as public schools.
so we give the private school the same as the public school minus 10%. if they cant do it for that; then they wont be able to exist and we have lost nothing. if they can; then we have saved 10%. if they provide inferior education to a public school; then they wont be able to exist. we lose nothing.

Old 06-10-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
so we give the private school the same as the public school minus 10%. if they cant do it for that; then they wont be able to exist and we have lost nothing. if they can; then we have saved 10%. if they provide inferior education to a public school; then they wont be able to exist. we lose nothing.
Private schools are allowed to discriminate and teach "alternative facts" unlike public schools. It's not their inferior system, it's their inferior oversight that should not be funded with tax dollars. I'm entirely against any religious institution receiving any form of tax money, so using tax dollars to pay for Catholic schools is something that I and many others would never support.

Old 06-10-2019, 03:18 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,148,203 times
Quote:
I'm entirely against any religious institution receiving any form of tax money, so using tax dollars to pay for Catholic schools is something that I and many others would never support.
I agree with you on that point. However not all private schools are religious based. You could send your kid to Montclair Kimberly Academy for only 30K per year

Old 06-10-2019, 03:32 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
You could send your kid to Montclair Kimberly Academy for only 30K per year
That is a bargain, compared to the private schools to which "The 1%" send their kids.
For example, the ultra-exclusive Hun School, in Princeton, charges $42,700 per year for commuter students, and the full freight for students who live at the school is $63,200 per annum. And, if your kid needs extra help with his/her academic skills, they charge an additional $18,900 per year for that service.

Just imagine our society's future if the Libertarians get their wish of abolishing public education...

Last edited by Retriever; 06-10-2019 at 03:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey