Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 03:51 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times

Advertisements

https://patch.com/new-jersey/tomsriv...y-more-anybody

Some crazy cost for some poor or less populated towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 03:58 PM

4,031 posts, read 3,644,565 times
Let me save you all the trouble and just post the keywords on what everyone is about to talk about.

Abbot district
Murphy
Libs
Snowflakes
Trump
Illegals
Sanctuary city
Gerrymandering

Old 06-07-2019, 08:01 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,219,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Let me save you all the trouble and just post the keywords on what everyone is about to talk about.

Abbot district
Murphy
Libs
Snowflakes
Trump
Illegals
Sanctuary city
Gerrymandering
Winner winner chicken dinner.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:04 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,967,533 times
Quote:

Abbot district
Murphy
Libs
Snowflakes
Trump
Illegals
Sanctuary city
Gerrymandering
Don't forget "DIVERSITY" in air quotes.

Old 06-08-2019, 05:48 AM

19,137 posts, read 25,345,191 times
Quote:

Abbot district
Murphy
Libs
Snowflakes
Trump
Illegals
Sanctuary city
Gerrymandering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
Don't forget "DIVERSITY" in air quotes.
I can add something extra to that list. Let us not forget that one of our forum members also likes to state that the US territory of Puerto Rico is actually an independent nation. Even though that bizarre claim wouldn't be relevant in a discussion on this topic, that reality probably wouldn't prevent him from including that bit of misinformation, along with a statement about Menendez winning re-election because "his district was Gerrymandered".

Last edited by Retriever; 06-08-2019 at 06:23 AM..

Old 06-08-2019, 07:07 AM

20,349 posts, read 19,937,992 times
Four comments and not a single one addressing the article itself. It looks like you struck a nerve vision33r.

That said, I believe school funding is way out of whack and will always stay that way.

There's no proof that just throwing more money at a social issue will provide a good fix.

The Abbott School decision (yup, I said it HudsonCoNJ) is a perfect example.

Anyone here remember, or care, about the School Construction Corp boondoggle of the early 2000s?

The billions wasted was mind blowing. And I don't think anybody went to jail.

NJ abolishes Schools Construction Corp. | NJ.com

https://www.northjersey.com/story/ne...co/3333400002/

Oh yeah, 20 million of Zuckerberg's 100 million went to, uh, "consultants".

Old 06-08-2019, 07:08 AM

20,349 posts, read 19,937,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
..... Even though that bizarre claim wouldn't be relevant in a discussion on this topic, .......
Totally agree

Old 06-08-2019, 11:43 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Four comments and not a single one addressing the article itself. It looks like you struck a nerve vision33r.

That said, I believe school funding is way out of whack and will always stay that way.

There's no proof that just throwing more money at a social issue will provide a good fix.

The Abbott School decision (yup, I said it HudsonCoNJ) is a perfect example.

Anyone here remember, or care, about the School Construction Corp boondoggle of the early 2000s?

The billions wasted was mind blowing. And I don't think anybody went to jail.

NJ abolishes Schools Construction Corp. | NJ.com

https://www.northjersey.com/story/ne...co/3333400002/

Oh yeah, 20 million of Zuckerberg's 100 million went to, uh, "consultants".
Because every discussion in this forum is a byproduct of those keywords the others keep harping about. Which is why it's difficult for anyone to get real information from this forum. We keep circling back and forth to the same political issues.

The topic I posted shows what's wrong with NJ and why taxes are out of control and maybe the only good thing Gov. Murphy has done lately was increase the Education spending per town than what Christie has done was concentrated only towards the poor areas that has the highest cost per child while decrease funding the wealthier towns.

Old 06-08-2019, 03:54 PM

10 posts, read 8,370 times
It is almost always the case that urban districts tend to have higher (legally mandated) special ed costs, and that sends the per-pupil spending out of whack. As an example, if you have a student who is so emotionally disturbed as to be unsafe in a classroom, the district might have to send them to a special program that costs between 20K and 60K/year. In a wealthy suburban district, that might be one kid out of 150. (I'm guessing at these numbers.) In an urban district dealing with higher family stress and trauma, that might be one kid out of 40. It is almost always that kind of spending that sets up the apparent higher per-pupil expenditure. Urban schools might also require security guards.
So there's context for these numbers. It's not just that these schools are wildly spending on whatever they feel like. And it's not that the teacher salaries are much higher than in the suburbs -- there's huge teacher churn in urban districts, so a lot of their teachers are probably within the first five years of their careers and not drawing a huge salary.
You can argue about whether special ed spending is used effectively, but that's a totally different discussion.

Old 06-08-2019, 08:56 PM

360 posts, read 285,344 times
colts neck is in the middle at just a bit over $21k per student - but the school board has been fishing for $34 MILLION from taxpayers for "repairs and updates". in addition, they think we need a 600 seat state of the art auditorium to be built at the conover road middle school for an additional $20 MILLION.

there's no way i'm paying for that.
we only have to suffer through two more years until our kids are done, and we are out. my only hope is that we find a new set of buyers ready to pay their fair share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey