Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 08:38 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Just imagine our society's future if the Libertarians get their wish of abolishing public education...
notice this tactic being used here. its a strawman argument. ive never suggested abolishing public education. however, by using this strawman tactic you are pretending to argue against me when in reality you are being deceitful and dishonest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 09:14 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I'll bet that they have all of those services, and that they're above average. Wealthy people have children with ADD, dyslexia, and motor skill developmental delays. After knee surgery, my son qualified for the short bus because it had a lift.
Well, when rich people have kids with issues is their problem. With less privilege folks, it becomes the people or the town's problem to take care of them. That's why less affluent towns have higher cost per kid because people depend on the town and schools to help them with developmental issues and special education needs. Most affluent towns have no school buses but poor towns have school buses.

I see rich folks hire private bus and after school care service, tutoring, etc. Poor towns run their own charter bus, after school care all free or reduce pricing based on income. These poor towns will reach out to Trenton for additional funding.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:46 AM

18,470 posts, read 15,259,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Well, when rich people have kids with issues is their problem. With less privilege folks, it becomes the people or the town's problem to take care of them. That's why less affluent towns have higher cost per kid because people depend on the town and schools to help them with developmental issues and special education needs. Most affluent towns have no school buses but poor towns have school buses.

I see rich folks hire private bus and after school care service, tutoring, etc. Poor towns run their own charter bus, after school care all free or reduce pricing based on income. These poor towns will reach out to Trenton for additional funding.
Rich towns have school buses. We have to pay if we want our kids to take the bus though. We only used it for 2 years, but it was around $750.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:49 AM

i dont pay separately for my children's bus service. i think those statements can not be made across the board.

while i think there are reasons to believe that schools can get away with spending less per pupil in a rich town; i dont think you will be able to make that case across the board.

Old 06-11-2019, 11:09 AM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,402,292 times
In NJ public schools, K-8 students over 2 miles from school and 9-12 students over 2.5 miles from school get free bus service. NJ school systems can provide free bus service for closer distances based on local policies and at the systems expense.
https://www.nj.gov/education/code/cu...e6a/chap27.pdf

Old 06-11-2019, 12:54 PM

18,470 posts, read 15,259,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
In NJ public schools, K-8 students over 2 miles from school and 9-12 students over 2.5 miles from school get free bus service. NJ school systems can provide free bus service for closer distances based on local policies and at the systems expense.
https://www.nj.gov/education/code/cu...e6a/chap27.pdf
Yes, I was told this rule too, and it may help if you live in Western NJ or Oklahoma, but in the Northeastern suburbs, most everybody lives within two miles of their schools. If you live 1.5 miles, you are either paying for the bus, or driving your kids. At least until they get older.

Old 06-11-2019, 02:59 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,018,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
It makes perfect sense. Kids in those districts are smart to begin with. The district doesn't have to spend money on special ed programs, extra counselors, occupational therapists, special busing ("short buses"), security staff, etc. All of those special services are what drive up costs.
So there are no children in these rich towns with special needs?

Old 06-11-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
rich people have superior genetics. they dont have any health issues/disabilities.

Old 06-11-2019, 03:47 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,151,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
Yes rich towns have kids with special needs. The difference is when you go to urban and poorer districts the proportion of special needs children is much higher. Both of my parents were teachers for 35+ years. I have pretty good insight...

Old 06-11-2019, 04:29 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,174,016 times
Take the illegals out of the schools and the property taxes which funds the schools would get a significant reduction. We have to also pay for every illegal child that attends each school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey